Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 31st, 2011 15:00

Stuttering/Buzzing Sound During Audio/Video Playback

Hi,

Recently I've been having some problems playing back any sort of media.  At regular intervals the audio will freeze/skip for a second and make a loud grinding noise, then resume.  This happens with music, streaming videos, games, pretty much everything.  If I'm watching a video or playing a game, the screen will freeze for a second, then resume.

I'm using an Inspiron 1545 with Windows 7 64-bit, SP1.

I've tried everything I could think of, updating all my drivers, reinstalling codecs, running anit-virus, and cleaning out my system.  I've found that sometimes the lag corresponds to spikes in my DPC latency, but sometimes they don't, and I can't find out what's causing the spikes.  I've tried most of the solutions here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/p/19142484/19265470.aspx#19265470 ,but nothing seems to have helped, and I'm getting a bit desperate. 

Any ideas?

27 Posts

August 30th, 2012 19:00

I'm sorry. I thought it might still be available. And no, it's not the wireless netwroiking driver I was referring to. It has to deal with a program that was badly written and downloaded when the computer was built or with a Windows update. Let me do some checking and see what else I might find. Hang in there.....

14 Posts

August 30th, 2012 20:00

Ah - are you referring to the Rapid Storage Technology thing?  If so, I have that installed with the June 2012 edition - version 11.2.0.1006.  Didn't fix the problem.

Now, when I did my rebuild last Saturday, two devices came up as "unknown" in Device Manager.  I popped in the driver CD that came with the machine and one of them installed from the CD (the USB Root Hub), but the other didn't.  I did allow Windows to download a driver for the other item and it installed (though I don't remember now which item it was).  I had the audio working just fine at this point, so I'm doubtful that this was where it went wrong.

Looking at my device manager, there's three items in the sound, video, and game controllers section - the IDT audio codec, a Bluetooth Audio, and an Intel Display Audio.  Is there a chance that there is a conflict between these that Windows isn't noticing?  Probably grasping at straws there, but figured it was worth a shot.

At this point, I'm planning on redoing the rebuild this weekend.  Not that I'm *WANTING* to spend my weekend doing this, but I'm hoping that I might be able to get back to some semblance of normalcy with it.  If I can't, I'm not sure what to do next.

14 Posts

September 1st, 2012 18:00

Backed up and uninstalled and restored the system last night.  Started rebuilding this morning.  Downloaded current device drivers from Dell's website this morning for all of the devices I could clearly identify (for some reason, I've never been able to get their site to scan my machine for drivers to update).  

Haven't done any real detailed audio testing yet but just ran about 11 minutes of video & audio from YouTube without any glitching.  

In another thread, I had seen a reference to a program (DPCLAT from thesycon) and have been running that to monitor - it's giving me a message about badly behaving drivers that will "probably cause dropouts" in real-time audio/video streaming.  I've tried disabling a variety of things but keep seeing periodic massive spikes (current absolute maximum says 19433us) but nothing seems to have had any impact whatsoever.

Once I start some real audio testing, I will keep an eye on this.  Something tells me, though, that my problem may just be unsolvable (that may just be the pessimist in me, though).  And the infuriating thing is that everything was working just fine until sometime in early June.

I appreciate the help you guys have given, though, and maybe I can beat this thing still.  I'm highly disappointed in how this has turned out, as I was really liking this machine up until this occurred - now it's just a source of stress and frustration.

September 3rd, 2012 09:00

Hello everyone,

I have same problem with my N7110 and after reading the whole topic I am not sure what solution would apply to my case, since I could not install Intel Rapid Technology driver as it says it's not compatible with my system (This computer does not  meet the minimum requirements for installing the software) .

I updated nvidia and intel graphics drivers, but it didn't fix my problem. It is not happening that often but I would very much like to fix it.

Any ideas?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 3rd, 2012 10:00

Some people had luck by disabling Net Guard on the N7110 and N5110 models.

en.community.dell.com/.../20164462.aspx

September 3rd, 2012 11:00

Hm, I am not using McAfee, I installed AVG Free.

14 Posts

September 3rd, 2012 11:00

Just an update - did a complete wipe and restore over the weekend.  Installed updated drivers from Dell's website, and the glitch is still occurring.

I do have a Windows 7 installation disc that I got from another machine, considering wiping the machine one more time, and installing Windows 7 clean from that disc (using my product key from this machine) and seeing if I can get it functional that way.  Really not how I wanted to spend this weekend.  :(

14 Posts

September 3rd, 2012 20:00

Okay - I've calmed down since I posted earlier.  Did another wipe and restore (becoming a master at that, I think) but restoring things in a much slower and deliberate pace than previously.  So far, audio is behaving perfectly every time I test (10 minutes each for MP3s, CDs, and DVDs after an installation of a device or application).  If I can identify where my problem originated from, will post back so it can be added to the list (just in case anyone else might fit my particular details).  But at the moment, all is well again.

3 Posts

September 21st, 2012 17:00

And when I say "this" I mean I used jimco's suggestion to download Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology drivers from the Intel website. This seems to have ironed everything out. Thanks!

3 Posts

I did this and it worked for my Inspiron 1750.

3 Posts

This worked to fix the problem for my Inspiron1750. Thanks jimco for keeping it basic!

<

The main recommendation in this thread is to download and install the latest Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver directly from the Intel site. Most of the links in this thread no longer work. This one is still working for me.

www.intel.com/.../imsm

For months the latest version was 10.8.0.1003, dated 11/11/2011. That has been removed and now the latest is version 11.2.0.1006, dated 06/07/2012. If anyone tries the new version please post and let us know if it worked.

Note: there are 4 flavors of the 11.2.0.1006 driver on the Intel site. I suggest using one of these:

iata_enu.exe if you have an English version of the operating system.

iata_cd.exe if you have an operating system other than English.>>

1 Message

September 21st, 2012 19:00

hello,

i have the same stuttering problem as well and i downloaded the most current update from here

the f6flpy-x64.zip file

i hate to sound new but i have no idea how to install this with what is in the file.. can anyone tell me how to install this over the faulty update that i got causing this problem?

thank you

i uploaded an image of what is in the file

http://s12.postimage.org/9xphrn923/Screen_Hunter_01_Sep_21_21_29.gif

*edit... nevermind, that's the driver alone file, i found the install file

but when i first got the pc 3 years ago i either deactivated or deleted the RAID process as i didn't recognize it and read that it wasn't needed.. so why would the faulty update affect me?  i checked my system and it's on here somewhere..  if i'm not running it at all i can't figure out why it's a problem.  From what i can tell, if i want RAID back on i have to reinstall the operating system..

14 Posts

September 22nd, 2012 11:00

Back on 9/4 I rebuilt my machine and everything was working just fine for about two weeks.  Audio glitch has cropped back up now, though.  Dell Support Center was uninstalled, I'm only allowing "important" updates from Windows (no "recommended" or drivers).  Just the other day, it appears my machine pulled an update for Skype, which I've never even used.  The glitch began occurring after that update installed, but uninstalling that software did not remove the glitch.  Even using system restore to go back to before that Skype update and uninstalling the program there didn't fix it.

The "good" news, I guess, is that the glitch is a little different this time - previously it was an overpowering screech and now it's just a background slur - enough to be noticable, but it doesn't completely destroy the audio when it occurs.  It's mostly noticable in quieter sections of audio.

Haven't updated Intel RST yet - will try that next, and will also try updating the audio driver.

EDIT: Well, updated the audio driver and still had the issue.  Updated Intel RST - thought I'd beaten it after listening to a fifteen minute long MP3 file with no noticable glitching.  Popped in a CD and listened for ten minutes and thought I might have heard something, but wasn't entirely certain.  Popped in a DVD and had a very loud glitch (like what I'd heard previously) no more than 10 seconds in.  So, not beaten. 

I really REALLY do not want to have to rebuild this thing constantly.  It does appear that wiping and reloading everything will at least give me a couple weeks respite from the glitch - but that is a horrible thing to have to do all the time.  I can't see anything else on the machine that could have changed in the appropriate time frame to create the glitch.

14 Posts

September 22nd, 2012 21:00

Actually, was just looking at the FAQ that jimco wrote up and noticed something I'd missed - someone else posted that they have a Western Digital Passport backup drive and that it was contributing to their issues due to background processes that it was running.  I also have a Western Digital backup drive (mine is a MyBook Essential) so I'm thinking that is likely connected to my issue.

My fear, though, is that using the same method they did (disable the drive software in msconfig) will mean that the backup drive wouldn't actually function any more.  Before I experiment with this, does anyone else know anything about this?  If I disable from msconfig, would the drive function properly when I connect it?  Just not run the background processes when not connected that seem to be at the root of the issue?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 23rd, 2012 08:00

If I disable from msconfig, would the drive function properly when I connect it?

A couple of years ago both my hard drive and backup drive were showing signs of dying at the same time, so I borrowed a backup drive from a friend while I was getting new drives. It was a Western Digital My Book. To the best of my remembrance I did not install any software, just plugged into usb and dragged & dropped data folders in Windows Explorer.

I have often used a hard drive enclosure for backup, where you just put any old hard drive in the box and plug it in. When doing that I never used any software either. The hard drive always just shows up as a new drive letter in Windows Explorer. I am just guessing but would think that your hard drive would work the same way with the backup software removed -- it might not back up automatically but at least it should show up as a drive letter. Then perhaps you could use the Backup & Restore function in Windows 7 for backing up?

No Events found!