Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 31st, 2011 15:00

Stuttering/Buzzing Sound During Audio/Video Playback

Hi,

Recently I've been having some problems playing back any sort of media.  At regular intervals the audio will freeze/skip for a second and make a loud grinding noise, then resume.  This happens with music, streaming videos, games, pretty much everything.  If I'm watching a video or playing a game, the screen will freeze for a second, then resume.

I'm using an Inspiron 1545 with Windows 7 64-bit, SP1.

I've tried everything I could think of, updating all my drivers, reinstalling codecs, running anit-virus, and cleaning out my system.  I've found that sometimes the lag corresponds to spikes in my DPC latency, but sometimes they don't, and I can't find out what's causing the spikes.  I've tried most of the solutions here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/p/19142484/19265470.aspx#19265470 ,but nothing seems to have helped, and I'm getting a bit desperate. 

Any ideas?

14 Posts

September 23rd, 2012 19:00

Losing the automated backup that currently exists would probably be my first fear.  I also have an older hard drive in an enclosure (connected to my desktop) so know what you refer to there.

I've never used the Windows native backup/restore function - I'm assuming that I could define what folders to backup and it would function similar to the Western Digital software by monitoring changes and updating the backup with those changes?  Or is it like the old MSDOS backup where it simply copies everything (into an encoded/encrypted file that can only be read by the native restore function) and you have to start over from square one every time you run it?

EDIT: Answered my own questions after a little reading online about the subject - both in things about Windows and over at Western Digital's site.  Uninstalled the Western Digital "SmartWare" program and activated a backup setup through Windows 7.  Testing the audio and have had no glitches as of yet - and that's with the backup currently being done by Windows.  So I think it's safe to say at this point that the software from the drive was what was causing my issues.  I'm a little frustrated that I spent all that time a couple weeks ago wiping and rebuilding the machine only to have this turn out to be part of the issue.

In all, I think I had multiple things that all contributed - Dell Support Center, an audio/video encoder that came with my web editor software (an encoder I wasn't even using), and Western Digital's "SmartWare".  The Skype update I'm thinking was likely a coincidental thing - just the timing of receiving it combined with the resumption of the glitch.  I'm puzzled as to why the glitch would remain dormant for those two weeks before occurring again, since the drive was used during that time, but I'm not even going to try tackling that little question.  At this point, I'm just grateful that it appears to once again be gone.

5 Posts

September 30th, 2012 20:00

Hello,

Thanks to you all, I had the same issue and I tried to check driver updates on Intel site. I updated INTEL HD GRAPHICS driver and looks like noise is gone. Mine is Dell Inspiron N5010. I'll keep posted if issue persists.

2 Posts

October 15th, 2012 19:00

I have an Inspiron 15 that started doing this just recently. I tried all kinds of stuff to no avail until I updated the RST driver to the 10.8.0.1003 version and that did the trick! Fingers crossed!  Good luck

2 Posts

October 15th, 2012 19:00

I have an Inspiron 15 that started doing this just recently. I tried all kinds of stuff to no avail until I updated the RST driver to the 10.8.0.1003 version and that did the trick! Fingers crossed!  Good luck

1 Message

October 24th, 2012 13:00

Cheers good buddy sorted my problem out,,was driving me barmy lol. Much appreciated.

1 Message

November 18th, 2012 02:00

Thanks very much for this incredibly detailed, and somewhat humorous post.
Looking forward to trying your steps.

Thanks!

2 Posts

December 23rd, 2012 12:00

I've been experiencing this problem with my dll studio 1745 for about a year, and the advice in this post appears to have finally fixed it!

December 25th, 2012 13:00

I figured it out.  Mine started after installing some updates. After trying everything the only thing that worked was a system restore.  Type system restore into the start menu and then follow the prompts, choose the restore point closest to the time you started noticing the problem.  Once that's done it will start trying to reinstall the other updates, allow only the "important" windows updates and the problem should be fixed.

27 Posts

December 25th, 2012 15:00

I had the same problem after MS downloaded some updates. It seems to affect the Dell Inspiron 1545 and another Inspiron laptop. The next day the buzzzing/stuttering started, but only with music or videos. I did 3 system restores, each time having to backdae further. Apparently once the buzzing/stuttering started, it doesn't go away with a system restore. You really need to follow other info posted on this site because the irritating noise won't go away. Please read the 'fixes' that have been provided by others who have researched and tested to fix this problem. It's really the only method to repair the damage. If you can't find the 'fix,' please post again and I or someone else will help you.

December 25th, 2012 20:00

System restore has fixed it for me

1 Message

December 26th, 2012 21:00

This problem has happened to several people I know after updating to Adobe Flasplayer 11.3. If you have this version, uninstall it and restore to previous version. Should fix the problem... Good luck

1 Message

December 30th, 2012 19:00

I cannot fix the constant buzzing sound that happens every 5 seconds on my Dell Inspiron 1750 when the speakers are in use.  Does your offer to do a remote session still stand?  I cannot download the Intel driver utility.  I have Windows 8 with IE 10.

Thanking you in advance for any assistance you can offer,

Shawn

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 30th, 2012 20:00

I cannot download the Intel driver utility. 

Why can't you download the Intel Rapid Storage Technology software?

Some other approaches that worked for some 1750 & 1545 owners:

> Go  to Windows Services and disable Intel Matrix Storage Event Monitor. Or just set it to "manual" start up.

> Or just uninstall the Intel Matrix Storage Manager. Most people who don't use RAID do not need it.

> Go to Device Manager, find the Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller, right click, select Properties, driver tab, roll back driver. Roll back to an earlier version of the Intel Matrix Storage Manager, 8.9.0.1023

> or download the earlier version http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails?driverId=MHT9T&fileId=2731106471

2 Posts

January 11th, 2013 08:00

I have a dell inspiron 1545 and have the same problem of freezing.  I have reformatted my hard drive, wiping everything, loaded my Win 7 with SP1 all over again and I still get the freezing.  I ran dell diagnostic test and everything checked OK.  I deleted Dell Support Center, do not have McAfee anti-virus, have Symantec Endpoint Protection.  Sometimes  it freezes when I am doing nothing.  I can see it by having a gadget clock with the second hand on my desktop, the system clock second hand still ticks but I see where the gadget clock freezes and the spike in task manager to cpu 100%.  I am very frustrated because I lost a lot of time and applications by wiping my system and still have the same problem.  If anyone has a solution please, please, please advise.  Want to go buy another computer because I am unable to find the solution.

2 Posts

January 11th, 2013 09:00

this reply from page 7 solved the problem for me

"here is a solution from another thread...simple...and it worked for me...

Hey all. Just wanted to add to this answer, (sorry if I'm doing it wrong I just joined!) I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 lappy running Windows 7 home premium aswell. Bought it direct from Dell last November and had no probs until a matter of weeks ago when this particular audio/visual problem occured. I first noticed it when trying to play back cds I'd ripped to my Windows media player library, then also when watching Youtube videos. Tried all manner of basic stuff as previously mentioned in this thread, and Googled, and quite frankly gave up! Had another go today and found this thread (thank the lordy!) After trying to understand the jargon (lol) and taking in the suggestions and viewpoints, I ended up going to my device manager---- clicking the little arrow to the left of 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers----clicking on Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI controller----going to the driver tab and selecting roll back driver....This changed it to: version 8.9.0.1023  date= 04/06/2009.........After a restart it's CURED! I have been watching multiple youtube videos and it hasn't happened ONCE so far! (Fingers crossed) I came back to post on here and hadn't seen this second page, or the post I'm now replying to lol! So a lucky guess basically I don't know wether the driver THEPINE mentions is the old one or a totally new, and wether I've just done something slightly different or the same thing in a different way?! But there's my story, and I hope it helps peeps, and a massive thankyou to the others on this thread for their research and input too!

"

No Events found!