Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

R

October 2nd, 2005 19:00

Stutters and Gaps on External Soundcard

Have an Inspiron 5150 and every time I try to use an external midi controller to play through a program like reason, and use an external sound card (USB or firewire), there are occasional gaps and stutters when you're playing the midi controller keyboard.

If I just use the external midi controller with the Sigma C-Tel internal card I'm fine.

I've been to the individual hardware manufacturer tech teams and they have pretty much assured me that it's an IRQ Conflict.

I've done the whole "msinfo32" thing and I do indeed have something like 7 devices on IRQ 11 so I do believe this is the problem. Anybody got any solutions for IRQ conflicts of this type on Laptops? Not like I can move my stuff around to get a different IRQ like on a desktop...

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 2nd, 2005 23:00

I believe there is no solution but to get a different brand laptop. Irq reassignments should be possible in BIOS but Dell disallows that.

Theoretically Windows would perform some reassignments if you change the ACPI-PC driver to normal PC, but I've never found a way to do that.

Jim

4 Posts

October 7th, 2005 05:00

OK, yeah I just finished with another incredibly unproductive chat with dell trying to resolve some issues with my own 5150 irq conflicts.  End Result?  Dell admits fault and says they will not honor a refund for my Dell TM 1450 WLAN card sharing an IRQ.

WinXP is supposed to be able to handle IRQ sharing (keyword: supposed), but I do know though, that if you have that many devices on IRQ 11 something fixable is wrong (granted no physical hardware problems) 

I also too, have an external midi controller: Midisport Uno, and Reason as well, and although I have not yet reinstalled the software since my recent re-install 2 days ago, I did have popping issues related with an IRQ conflict between my internal wireless card and my SB Audigy 2 NX USB (to fix that problem I had to sell the Audigy 2 NX and get an Audigy 2 ZS PCMCIA, Thanks Dell) 

I suggest:  update your bios (A38, worthless crippled garbage, but best available to date) and try reinstalling windows. 

If you're hardcore like me, have time to waste, you can do this, probably worthless task:

If you have a windows xp disc handy, you can try going here( http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1703) and create an xp disc that preinstalls your chipset.  I won't lie, it takes some research, and you also have to get and read Intels specific instructions on preinstalling chipset drivers before OS install (available in the chipset download), but it has isolated me down to sharing:

2 devices on IRQ 18 (Dell Wireless 1450 Dual Band WLAN Mini-PCI Card, and Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C7, supposed root of the problems I'm experiencing)

2 devices on IRQ 17 (Conexant D480 MDC V.92 Modem, SigmaTel C-Major Audio, no issues I know of on this)

3 Devices on IRQ 16 (Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2, Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller, Texas Instruments PCI-4510 Cardbus Controller, no issues I know of)

So in summary, to reassign the IRQ, you need to reinstall windows xp... to have the IRQ's reassign correctly you need the best BIOS version you can get, and don't expect Dell to help you by fixing these conflicts because the last chat I had established that I can't fix it, it's their fault, and they wont help.) Good luck

Message Edited by EarBiter12 on 10-08-2005 03:08 PM

4 Posts

October 7th, 2005 05:00

9 Posts

April 8th, 2011 18:00

Hi there - this is Marcus from Brazil!

You won't believe but I'm having exactly the same problem this guy had in 2005!

I have a Latitude E6410 and an Yamaha Audiogram 6. With my old laptop, a HP, the Audiogram used to work fine, but now... wow, stutters all the time...

Please, I'm getting desperate: do you think it could still be a IRQ conflict issue? Is there a solution?

9 Posts

April 11th, 2011 05:00

Hi guys - thanks for no answer. I've got a solution already.

Special message to those who may face the same problem:

Don't waste your time writing or putting your question it here, nobody will help you.

Bye!

8 Posts

April 13th, 2011 14:00

Are you also the one who gives no answer? What was the solution?

9 Posts

April 13th, 2011 14:00

Hi Stan, please read here:
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/p/19373279/19857245.aspx#19857245
I wrote:
I face this problem since I've bought a Dell Latitude 6 weeks ago. I was using the "Dell Client System Update" to update its drivers. Nevertheless, yesterday I did a try with Driver Genius Pro - this software found 30(!!) outdated drivers, downloaded and installed all of them;  the Dell's software used to find only 7 drivers and could only install 4 of them (don't know why).
 My system is fine now. The solution cost was about 30USD.
--------------------------------------------------------
If you look around in this forum, will find at least three potential causes: drivers, overheating and system settings.
Hope it helps!

8 Posts

April 13th, 2011 15:00

Normal 0 21 false false false DE X-NONE X-NONE

Hi Markus,

Thanks a lot!

I bought the Driver Genius Pro and ran it on my Dell E6510. After installing of 23 newest drivers the Latency Checker shows still over 1000ms with regularly :-(

Annoying!

Stan

9 Posts

April 14th, 2011 06:00

Stan - I recommend you to use the keyword "DPC" to do a search about other problems and solutions reported here in this forum. I found this forum by this keyword.

I've read about overheating problems, SATA configuration issues (HD), etc. I don't know the terminology in English, but look also at your 'processor behavior' when connected to the power source or on batteries. My SO is in Portuguese, but I think it could be "energy options".

Good luck - Marcus

8 Posts

April 14th, 2011 11:00

Thanks Marcus! I'll try it!

No Events found!