Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 12th, 2015 04:00

Subwoofer on Inspiron 17r SE 7720 not working in win10

I installed windows 10 on my Dell Inspiron 17r SE 7720, but now the sound is very flat, the volume is soft and the subwoofer doesn't work anymore. I've looked on the Dell site but there don't seem to be audio drivers available for this laptop for windows 10.Realtek reference drivers also don't solve the issue.

Is there a solution for this?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 5th, 2015 04:00

Hello. Has anyone tried installing the audio driver? There is no Win10 audio driver for the Inspiron 17R SE 7720, so you have to use the IDT audio driver for Win8.1 and install it by using compatibility mode.

1. Download and save the audio driver to your desktop.
2. Double click on the new icon on the desktop to extract (unzip) the driver files.
3. The extractor wizard will create a new folder for the driver files. It will be at "c:\dell\drivers\xxxxxx". Write down the exact location that the wizard creates.
4. If the driver begins to install automatically, halt (cancel) the installation.
5. Browse to the driver files on the hard drive (the location you wrote down).
6. Find the "setup.exe" file.
7. Right click on setup.exe to open the context menu.
8. Select the Properties.
9. Select the Compatibility tab.
10. Check the box "run this program in compatibility mode for"... Win8.1.

If installing the IDT driver does not work then I would suggest that you revert the laptop back to the operating system in which the audio worked correctly, unless there is a compelling reason to have the Win10 operating system. Dell will not be putting out any new audio drivers for the Inspiron 17R SE 7720 and Win10's audio management in laptops models where the audio is not supported has not been encouraging.

September 16th, 2015 13:00

Mine has the Skullcandy speakers with subwoofer and it had the MaxxAudio software. Since updating to Windows 10 That is now gone. Apparently it (MaxxAudio) wasn't compatible with 10 so I am assuming that we will have to wait for a patch or update so that the subwoofer will once again work and the sound will be back to where it should be. In the mean time Microsoft has *** A LOT OF PEOPLE OFF!!!!!

2 Posts

November 4th, 2015 21:00

I have the same problem as you just said also since updated to windows 10 thought maybe my speaker was bad but will wait to see if they have a patch . Even my sound volume in the front two speakers that do work seem kind of weak or low in volume or might seem that way without the third speaker working .I have checked in windows 10 for help on this but haven't found anything to fix this problem . Kind of frustrating . I use a external speaker in headset jack to get a little better sound volume to compensate for this issue .

2 Posts

November 5th, 2015 19:00

Thanks JIMCO  I did download this  but didn't find the compatibility tab  so I could put it in mode for Win 8.1 so instead I just ran the program from the desktop to see what would happen .  It now works great sound is so much clearer and louder and third speaker works  fine big difference.  Thanks !

4 Posts

November 22nd, 2015 20:00

could you give instructions for the computer illiterate (me) how to run from desktop

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 23rd, 2015 05:00

could you give instructions for the computer illiterate (me) how to run from desktop

Hello. I don't have Windows 10 so I'm the illiterate one regarding that OS -- I don't know what unusual problems you might run into while using it.

I apologize for the obscurity of the instructions. I used Dell's instructions as a template but I should have just written them from scratch. What the instructions are meant to mean is:

"Save" the driver download package. This could mean different things depending on your browser. Internet Explorer has the option to either "save" or "run" the files.  I use Mozilla Firefox which only has the option to "save". I don't know about other browsers.

When you click "save" in either IE or Firefox, the file is saved in a default location on the hard drive, either Downloads or My Downloads. IE has the option to "save as", where you can save the file to any location, including the desktop.

The instruction to save to the desktop is an old Dell instruction that I should have removed. It doesn't matter where the files are saved as long as one can find them. The desktop is a handy place and after the files are unzipped to the dell\driver location the original download can be deleted from the desktop, or Downloads, or wherever.

1 Message

January 28th, 2016 12:00

Hi and thanks, as an update, this driver pack is now windows 10 compatible

September 17th, 2016 16:00

I have a Dell Inspiron 17 7000 series and my external subwoofer does not work with it.  The non-subwoofer speakers are working.

I tried downloading each of the audio drivers in the link you provided but both are not working.

Both give me this error message: 

Please help me.  I spent way too much money on this laptop to have it be this pathetic.  I don't want to have to return it.  Every laptop in my life has worked perfectly out of the box except this Dell.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 18th, 2016 07:00

I tried downloading each of the audio drivers in the link you provided but both are not working.

NOTE: see this poster's other thread for the discussion, which is about a different model than the one that this thread was about.

No Events found!