Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 21st, 2016 18:00

Successfully Installed Windows 10 on Inspiron N5050 Except for Boot up After Restart

After doing a million (feels like it) fixes from the very many articles and posts about how to fix Windows 10 update problems, I have finally got Windows 10 installed on my husband's laptop.  There is only one problem:  it won't complete a reboot after a Restart.  It will reboot after powering off and back on.  I am hoping that someone might have a fix for this.  I did read that Dell is saying this laptop is not compatible with Win 10.  My husband swears that he did not tell Microsoft to go ahead with the upgrade and we have discovered that this was true of many other users as well. 

I have done the following fixes already: reinstalled an updated driver for the display adapter, uninstalled any software that generated errors in the Windows event log (like HP Support Framework), changed a number of Start up Services to be manual (like Malware Bytes, which is not the anti-virus software in use, however, I did use it to scan the computer for viruses), increased the permissions on the Windows folder, reinstalled Win 10 using CD created by Windows Media Creator, turned off the Fast Restart in Power settings,  uninstalled the IDT Audio driver, ran the sfc /scannow and the DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image Scanhealth and probably more.

So anyone have other suggestions? Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 25th, 2016 07:00

" I did read that Dell is saying this laptop is not compatible with Win 10 ".

:emotion-2:

I'm sorry Startup Repair didn't fix the problem with your computer. Remember,you did mentioned in first post that "Dell is saying this laptop is not compatible with Win 10", sadly it's true. Please click on the link below and see for yourself.

www.dell.com/.../drivers

If you aren't able to fix the problem in the near future, I like to suggest you order a windows 7 restore disk in the link below. In my humble opinion, windows 7 is still a great operating system.

www.restoredisks.com/findrestoredisk.aspx

June 13th, 2016 19:00

My comments may come a little late in order to help resolve your problem, but I have just upgraded a Dell N5050 to Windows 10 and experienced the exact same problems.  I also spent hours investigating and going through the same steps that you did.

The fix is very easy, once you know it!  All you need to do is upgrade the BIOS to version A05.   This can be downloaded from Dell Support.  Just run the downloaded install file N5050A05.EXE, making sure not to interrupt the process, and within a couple of minutes you will be rebooting successfully without suffering a blank screen!  

(Note that A05 is one of the two versions of BIOS offered for this model. I was upgrading from BIOS version A01, so I tried A03 first, but that didn't solve the problem. I then tried A05 and the problem was solved.)

Whilst Dell may well say that Windows 10 is not (officially) supported for this ageing model, that doesn't mean it can't be made to work!

Mike

June 14th, 2016 19:00

Sue,

I would still recommend updating the BIOS at some point. I found it difficult getting past the blank screen state - until I eventually realised that you can escape the condition by putting the machine into sleep mode and then waking it up again (the ease of doing this will depend on your power options settings). I also recommend re-enabling fast startup - if you haven’t already done that.

For clarity, and for the benefit of others with an N5050 suffering similar problems when upgrading to Windows 10, in the end I found that only two basic changes were necessary to get things running properly:

a) Uninstall the IDT Audio program [from Control Panel > Programs & Features]. This program is not compatible with Windows 10 and causes File Explorer to crash every 60 seconds!

b) Upgrade the BIOS to version A05, downloadable from Dell Support, so that the display carries on working during reboot.

I found that all the drivers installed by Microsoft during the upgrade worked fine once the above two changes were made.

In my case there also happened to be some minor corruption to the main user profile that resulted in some apps not being shown in the Start Menu ‘All Apps’ listing. I managed to repair this by creating a new user profile (which presented correctly) and then copying the TileDataLayer database from the new (good) profile to the corrupted one.

I have nothing against Windows 10, but I do think that Microsoft should have worked a bit harder with manufacturers to prevent all these hiccups, particularly as the upgrade is now being forced by stealth onto machines that are not really ready for it!

Mike

PS - Hopefully once you have performed the BIOS update your problem will be resolved, in which case perhaps you could then mark my reply as the solution? Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 21st, 2016 19:00

"There is only one problem:  it won't complete a reboot after a Restart.  It will reboot after powering off and back on ". 

I like to suggest you launch Startup Repairs on your computer. Please follow steps below:

A) Type settings into the (Cortana) search bar

B) Update & Security

C) Recovery

D) Advanced Startup, and the click "Restart Now ' 

E) Troubleshoot

G) Advance Options

H) Startup Repair

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

April 24th, 2016 21:00

First of all the process was a bit different than the steps you outlined. However, I did manage to find the Startup Repair.  Unfortunately, it said at the end, that it couldn't fix the problem.  I did it twice and got the same result.  I looked at the start up log that it listed at that point. The log said that everything was fine. ??

However, after doing this I had trouble getting the laptop to boot up. It took several tries before it finally got to the first screen.  I think I will give up on fixing this. I am afraid that I will end up not being able to get it to recover at all. It works and my husband doesn't need to reboot very often. I suppose the Windows updates will cause some reboots. Keeping my fingers crossed. Pretty annoying since this laptop isn't that old.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 25th, 2016 08:00

" I think I will give up on fixing this. I am afraid that I will end up not being able to get it to recover at all ".

I strongly suggest you create a windows 10 recovery drive and a system image backup of windows 10. Please click on the links below.

How to Create a Windows 10 USB Recovery Drive  

www.youtube.com/watch

How to Create a System Image Backup in Windows 10  

www.youtube.com/watch

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

April 25th, 2016 08:00

I appreciate your help. Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 25th, 2016 17:00

Thanks for the feedback.....:emotion-2:

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

June 14th, 2016 17:00

Mike

I appreciate your reply!  At this point, I am a little reluctant to do anything else to my husband's computer and so far, (knock on wood), it is doing OK.  What kind of annoys me is that Dell didn't let us know this little secret fix.  They probably want us to buy a newer computer but dang, this one isn't that old!

Thanks for your reply!

Susan

June 22nd, 2016 11:00

Mike,

Thanks very much for your succinct and accurate description of how to make Windows 10 work on a Dell Inspiron N5050 laptop. I tried twice last year to upgrade mine, but always ran into a whole heap of problems, starting (but by no means ending) with the so-called "black screen of death".

I followed your advice to uninstall the IDT Audio program and upgrade the BIOS to A05, and the upgrade to Windows 10 worked! Given the black screen problem, it might be worth mentioning that I also upgraded the Intel HD Graphics 3000 driver to the latest version (released on 8th April 2016), prior to performing the upgrade. This may not have made a difference, but it seemed a sensible thing to do, given that it was not available the last time I tried.

I agree that Microsoft should have worked harder to make the upgrade easier, and it's particularly galling that the Windows 10 upgrade nag screen said last year that the computer was compatible with the upgrade -- when clearly it wasn't. However, I think that Dell are equally to blame in that they seem to have no intention of supporting the upgrade on a computer which works fine and is less than 5 years old. They have just washed their hands of the matter and have taken the cynical view that they would rather sell me a new computer than making it easier to upgrade. Well, I have news for Dell -- next time I buy a new computer, I will probably buy it from another manufacturer.

June 24th, 2016 06:00

Andy,

Thanks for your feedback - I'm glad my suggestion worked for you!

After battling with the problem for some time myself, I thought it would be useful to post my positive findings to help others. 

It is unfortunate that this forum continues to indicate the 'Verified Answer' as being 'There is no answer', when in fact there is!

If you have not already done so, perhaps you could try marking my 'Suggested Answer' above to say 'Yes' to 'Does this answer your question?'

Mike

7 Posts

July 6th, 2016 10:00

I tried to update a N5050 last year - and gave up - so reverted to windows 8.1

Well the hard disk died - so I fitted a new disk and installed a clean, original, Microsoft windows 8.1
This then automatically updated to Windows 10.

To my surprise it worked - UNTIL Windows 10 1511 update was applied, and the laptop display stopped working. Plugging in an external display I could see everything at 1920x1080.

Following Mike's advice I updated the Bios from A02 to A05 and everything is working now.

So - first thing to do - update the BIOS.

Thanks Mike

July 29th, 2016 02:00

Mike,

Works you mind explaining how you were able to update the Intel HD Graphics Driver? I was not aware that there was any such driver update available for the Dell Inspiron N5050. might be worth mentioning that I also upgraded the Intel HD Graphics 3000 driver to the latest version (released on 8th April 2016), prior to performing the upgrade.'

July 29th, 2016 03:00

cvn65cmdboy,

I didn't update the Intel HD Graphics Driver on my N5050.

It was andywilson53 who mentioned that he had done that.

Mike

July 29th, 2016 04:00

The driver is on this page. Click on the Video section to expand it and you will see the latest version of the Intel Graphics 3000 Driver, released on 8th April 2016. I don't know whether it was strictly necessary to install this before doing the upgrade to Windows 10, but experience tells me that it is a good idea to make sure all drivers are up to date before attempting the upgrade.

I can report that my Inspiron N5050 laptop has now been running Windows 10 for over a month without problems.

No Events found!