Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 22nd, 2016 14:00

Sudden black or blank screen on Inspiron 15 7559 Win 10

Since I purchased this computer, I had daily problems where the screen will randomly go dark/black and the computer becomes unresponsive (even during work)- the power button is still on/lit and the computer appears to have entered hibernation or sleep.  The computer will not respond to any other commands and only a hard powerdown/restart is possible. 

The problem happens randomly and I have not been able to correlate it with any action, program, temperature issue, or other causality.  I have run full diagnostics and all of the software/drivers are updated.  The problem existed since I purchased the computer, and has remained since I added memory and a M2 SSD drive to the open bays. 

I initially thought it was a hibernate/sleep or power configuration issue, so I did not initially return the computer within the initial 30 day period.  All of my efforts to turn off hibernate/sleep setting via GUI and CLI have been unsuccessful.

When it works, it works great.  

July 6th, 2016 17:00

So far the problem appears resolved since last Thursday.  I worked with a second Dell representative who called back, remoted in, and worked several other fixes using the Dell Click 2 Fix tool.  I don't have the full list of actions taken, but several drivers were removed, the latest reinstalled, and the BIOS was updated/reflashed.  If the problem appears again, I'll post again, but it appears corrected. 

I'm not sure exactly where the problem occurred.  While this was happening, I had everything fully updated to begin with.  

Anyway, thanks again to Dell support- they responded within 24 hours of my contacts and we were able to successfully resolve the problem.  I bought my system through a retailer but it was still under warranty.   

June 23rd, 2016 02:00

Hi RANDOMLY_GENERATED_STRING,

Thank you for writing to Dell Community Forum.

Please update the BIOS and chipset driver from our Dell Support site.

Please private message us the service tag of the system along with your email id.

2 Posts

June 23rd, 2016 05:00

hi bro..i want to ask something..

my dell ispiron 7420 got problem always suddenly / randomly  shutdown during work or

in idle mode..

can u suggest something to solve the problem ".....

my dell laptop now 3 years old...

hope u can help...

June 23rd, 2016 10:00

Hi FITKENZO,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Was there any recent hardware or software changes?

Please run the on-board Dell Diagnostics and capture any error code or message.

Please private message us the service tag of the system along with your email id

2 Posts

June 23rd, 2016 17:00

ok.. i do it already,

but seems all hardware system check " pass "

about the hardware change - no

software change - just reinstall windows, just in case if the problem can settle, i use all driver from dell

website,but the problem still happen.

about the service tag" you mean the code at a EPSA write on upside that boot diagnostics software??

June 24th, 2016 09:00

Thank you for responding.  I'm working with tech support separately and if the proposed changes succeed over time, I'll post the fix.  

1 Message

June 24th, 2016 14:00

Same problem here, bought the 7559 last week got the 4k touch screen model. day 1 was getting the black screen issue. even during gaming, its completely random.

I had tech support remote in and change some power settings to no avail.

I formatted and reinstalled windows 10 getting rid of the dell image. still happening.

I think this is a hardware issue to be honest. Im currently running NO dell software besides the intel HD drivers (which very well could be the issue) 

Dell is sending me a replacement I hope it doesn't have the same problem I really like this laptop but my god its so annoying to be coding at work and the screen goes black and I have to hold the dang power button down and restart. If they are all doing this dell should offer us a better model as compensation.

June 25th, 2016 15:00

KROB, I suspect this problem is more widespread, I've seen several mentions of similar unresolved issues on third party websites.  

I just completed the initial round of support directed recommendations- basically reload chipset and video drivers and adjust a few settings.  The system lasted about 24 hours before freezing again, I'll engage with support tomorrow to try the next round of changes and attempt to get a return for an identical item.  I was just about to attempt a full OS clean reload but after your comments I'll wait.  

I suspect it may be the intel HD drivers as well.  I've run it through all the diagnostics and can't seem to correlate it with anything.  Nothing is really standing out in the Win system logs.  If I remember correctly I saw very similar issues/complaints in the intel website but I've lost track of the support forums I've read recently.   

Like you said, It's a great computer when it's working and you can't beat the price for the capabilities.  

June 27th, 2016 08:00

Hi RANDOMLY_GENERATED_STRING,

Thank you for this update.

Do let us know if you have any query.

June 27th, 2016 08:00

Hi FITKENZO,

Thank you for trying these steps.

I have responded to your private message.

37 Posts

June 27th, 2016 20:00

I experienced the same problem for the first time last night. I recently upgraded to the latest bios and chipset driver so that won't work. Any other suggestions? I almost lost all of my data I had worked on for 2 hours.

June 28th, 2016 18:00

I just engaged with Dell Support to resolve this (I'm under warranty).  The support crew called me and we set up a remote connection.  They connected remotely and basically removed/reinstalled the major drivers, ran other checks/configs, etc using the Dell Click 2 Fix tool.  I'm now putting the computer through the paces to see if the random black screen freezes continue.  So far so good (I'm at 24 hrs without a freeze) but I won't make any tentative call for at least a week without any issues, so stand by.  I suspect this may have been a chipset driver issue, possibly the Intel Chipset driver.  No apparent hardware issues that I/they could detect, and when the computer works, it works well.     

No Events found!