Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 11th, 2017 07:00

Swapping SSDs between an XPS 15 9550 and an Alienware 13 R3

I have been using a Dell XPS 15 9550 for work since last August, and have just purchased an Alienware 13 R3 for better graphics. I'm worrying about the way to migrate from the former to the latter with least disruption. If I have to start with the new machine from scratch, it will take a lot of time to reinstall all the software, re-setup all the dev environments, etc. I'd really like to avoid doing all that. I'm thinking maybe I can just take the 1TB SSD out of the XPS 15 to directly replace the SSD in the Alienware 13 R3. There must be some drivers missing initially, but I trust that Windows 10 can work through these, and I can download drivers from Alienware 13's support site and install them.

Has anybody done something like this and had success? I think what I'm facing is a common scenario in migrating to a new machine, and somebody must have tried this. I'd appreciate any insight and experience with this. Thanks!

51 Posts

March 11th, 2017 20:00

As I continue to research the topic, I encountered articles about the "sysprep" tool that seems to be the exact tool for what I wants to do here (the article below has the details). Does anybody have experience with sysprep?

www.pcgamer.com/.../

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 12th, 2017 04:00

You may get Windows to run that way - but be sure your installed applications will work.  More likely they'll see a sysprepped install of Windows as a new system -- meaning you'll need to reinstall and reactivate them anyway.

51 Posts

March 15th, 2017 13:00

From what I have read so far, there could be some reactivation (including for Windows 10 itself), but no re-installation of applications. We'll see. The alienware 13 is arriving this week.

No Events found!