Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

August 16th, 2017 13:00

Swollen overheating battery but no onsite repair option???

I contacted tech support about my swollen overheating battery/ raised trackpad and their only solution was to send in the machine to the depot which can take 2 weeks or more to get it back (tech support said the parts may be back ordered).    

There has to be a better solution than saying 'unfortunately'.  I use my XPS 9550 for business and don't have a spare computer.  Considering that there is a known safety issue here too, I would think that Dell would want to have an onsite repair solution.  

Can anybody help with a solution?

2.3K Posts

August 16th, 2017 18:00

It depends on what your warranty is and what they can do onsite if you have that.  If you upgraded to onsite and its something they can do onsite then that is what happens, but if you never upgraded you have to do mail in.

14 Posts

August 17th, 2017 08:00

Thanks for the additional information.  Still not a solution to the problem.  I'm sure when the battery explodes I'll get a quick solution

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 17th, 2017 08:00

For your own safety, get the battery out of the system and out of your home or office -- NOW.  It is a safety issue - and since you know it is, if an accident happens, it'll be exactly as if you ignored a brake problem with your car -- it will be  your fault.

14 Posts

August 17th, 2017 09:00

I appreciate the advice but i'm still looking for a solution.  

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 17th, 2017 10:00

See above.  Remove the battery from the system.  That will likely solve the touchpad problem (and will definitely solve the safety hazard issue).

www.dell.com/.../manuals

Then go from there.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Since they don't know what parts need replacement, that's not entirely surprising.  You then face two choices:  have Dell repair the system at the depot, or replace the battery  yourself (it's not that difficult to do).

14 Posts

Upgrade or not, they won't do an onsite repair for some reason.  This is the problem.  

14 Posts

It's the trackpad that is not working.  Cause is the battery.  

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

The system will work just fine with the battery removed.  If you do not have onsite repair, call and purchase the upgrade to that before you schedule the service.

2.3K Posts

August 17th, 2017 12:00

If you did not purchase the on-site premium warranty then they will not do an on-site and you have to mail it in to the depot.  

No Events found!