Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 27th, 2014 00:00

Synaptics TouchPad 64-bit Enhancements has stopped working.

I recently bought Dell Inspiron 15 5547 with Ubantu.

When I installed Windows 7, I receive error message "Synaptics TouchPad 64-bit Enhancements has stopped working." Wen I close this my touchpad start working erratically. While typing cursor moves itself without touch or click.

The driver given on Dell site under Windows 7 is same as for Windows 8. I also tried drivers from Synaptics website but nothing worked. Can any body suggest the solution?

2 Posts

January 4th, 2015 13:00

it looks like installing Win7 SP1 fixed this (and some other things) for me.  I didn't change the driver from Dell's latest, just install SP1.

I did that from KB976932, from MS support.

3 Posts

February 19th, 2016 19:00

The driver given on Dell site under Windows 7 is same as for Windows 8. I also tried drivers from Synaptics website but nothing worked. Can any body suggest the solution?

I run two machines myself (neither one a Dell machine) without issue.  But recently, I ordered a reburbished Dell e5400 laptop for my landlady.  And, it got the same error message you got at every boot-up.  The solution?  Well, I found it in part from your quote above - and from the Microsoft "answers" site.  It seems that the driver was updated to provide some kind of "enhanced" support for Windows 8 users.  Problem is, the "enhancements" were never meant to work on Win7.  So, I:

RENAMED THE "SynTpEnh.exe" FILE TO "SynTpEnh.exe.bak"

Then, I rebooted the laptop and (Eureka!) no error screen popped up.  And, the Synaptics pointing device continues to work just fine.

2 Posts

January 4th, 2015 11:00

I have the same issue on an inspiron 15 3452.  Bought it with win 8.1, installed Win7 clean, installed the drivers from the Dell support site for Win7 (though I believe it's the same), and I get exactly the above error at the end of the driver install and every time I reboot.  Problem details say appcrash.

2 Posts

March 29th, 2015 07:00

I have also installed KB976932...
Still Problem persists in my dell 3543 win7 Ultimate 64 bit 

Any help from Dell?

3 Posts

February 19th, 2016 20:00

I have also installed KB976932...
Still Problem persists in my dell 3543 win7 Ultimate 64 bit 

Any help from Dell?

Find the SynTpEnh.exe file and rename it to SynTpEnh.exe.bak, then reboot.  FWIW, in my research, I found that two laptop makers tend to have this issue while others don't - Dell & HP (not all Dell & HP laptops, just some).  I run Win7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 on two laptops - one an Acer and one "built" for me by Puget Systems.  Their Synaptics devices work fine.  But I just got my landlady a refurbished Dell e5400 running Win7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 and it had the same issues you and others are having.  But once I renamed the file and rebooted, the problems (and the nagging popup screen) went away.  It's hard to argue with success (grin).

No Events found!