Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 21st, 2017 13:00

TB16 HDMI connected monitor goes blank for few seconds every few hours

I just got TB16 to replace  my TB15 and I'm noticing that my Dell W3415U which is connected to my TB16 HDMI port goes blank for few seconds comes back every few hours. Like the video signal suddenly stopped or something. Not sure what's causing it but it's bothering me since it's happening while in middle of my use. TB16 is connected to my XPS 15 9550 running Windows 10 Pro via Thunderbolt 3 port.

If you know how to resolve this I would appreciate any help.

Thank you.

828 Posts

February 10th, 2017 09:00

For those of you still having the issue in airplane mode, can you please PM me with your name, system service tag and a contact email address?    Would like to investigate a bit more.

1 Message

February 16th, 2017 10:00

I too am having the same problem with the TB16.  I have an XPS 13 laptop with all the latest bios and drivers.

Telephone Tech support was no help at all, and simply sent me a replacement, which I knew right away would not be the solution, and it wasn't.  I have a usb c/display port adapter that instantly turns on my monitor as soon as it is connected, with no bugs.  The TB16 dock takes several seconds for the monitor and usb peripherals to turn on, and it only works intermittently.  On the occasions when it doesn't work, the devices cycle on and off at random, and do not stay on, even after reboot.  Oddly, the remedy when this occurs is to open my laptop display.  As long as the laptop display is open, the devices remained powered. Given the short length of the thumberbolt docking cable, this is hardly a workable solution, and one that requires me to switch from extended display to secondary display only each time.

My suspicion is the problem is somehow related to Windows Power Management and lid closed behavior. That is just a hunch.

27 Posts

February 16th, 2017 14:00

I always have my lid open on my XPS15 but I'm using my W3415U as the primary monitor.

2 Posts

February 17th, 2017 11:00

Have either of you tried putting the laptop into airplane mode (turns off WiFi and Bluetooth)?  I also have the same problem with my Dell U3417W screen going disconnecting and reconnecting and have been on the phone with Dell a few times.  They suggested it may be the wireless card and that I put the laptop into airplane mode.  And so far today, no disconnections.  Fingers crossed though!  If the wireless card is the problem, Dell will have to replace the motherboard on the laptop.  We'll see.

27 Posts

February 17th, 2017 14:00

Yes I've tried disabling the wireless card and also putting in airplane mode. Neither worked.

1 Message

February 20th, 2017 07:00

Same here: TB16 connected directly to a brand new precision 5520 with actual drivers - HDMI Display is randomly going blank for 2 seconds. DisplayPort is not working at all - no answer from Dell yet.

And btw: Airplane mode doesn't help.

1 Message

March 1st, 2017 14:00

I am also having the exact same problem.  All of my drivers, BIOS, yada yada...all up to date.  I also have tried airplane mode...same same. I'll try and figure out how to PM you...

9.4K Posts

March 6th, 2017 04:00

Thanks for posting.

Here is some information you may find helpful.

http://dell.to/2n5HSVq

27 Posts

March 6th, 2017 12:00

We have very specific issue with TB16 where signal to external monitor is lost. Sending us to general TB16 support page isn't helpful.

What is Dell doing to troubleshoot these?

9.4K Posts

March 9th, 2017 05:00

Dell Engineering and the graphics team have released an updated Intel video driver to resolve this issue. Please update to the Intel Graphics Driver 20.19.15.4390 or newer to resolve this problem.

You can download the latest graphics driver for your system from the Dell support website, Select your system model, then Drivers & Downloads, Video, then select the latest Intel HD Graphics driver

27 Posts

March 12th, 2017 15:00

@DELL-Robert P, I have driver version 20.19.15.4531 and I been having this issue since I've received my replacement TB16. I did not have this issue with TB15 so there is something wrong with TB16s since others are having the same issues.

1 Message

March 13th, 2017 02:00

I have the same issue with my TB16. XPS 13-9350 monitor is on and two 4k monitors attached to TB16 displayports. One monitor goes blank and stays blank from time to time. I have driver version 20.19.15.4531.

2 Posts

March 21st, 2017 17:00

I am also having this problem with the TB16, driven by a Precision 5510.  I have all the latest drivers and BIOS.  I do have 2 4k displays P2715Q plugged into the dock one via HDMI and one via display port.  Only the one plugged in via HDMI goes black for 1 second then comes back on.  I also did not have whis problem with the TB15 so it is specific to the TB16.  

2 Posts

March 22nd, 2017 14:00

Also wanted to add that I did switch out the TB16 with another one I had lying around and the problem persists.

March 24th, 2017 09:00

I have the same problem on a wireless dock, WD15.  I have 2 Dell P2314H monitors.  One is connected via DisplayPort-MiniDisplayPort.  The other is connected via DVI-HDMI adapter, included in the WD15 box.  

Every few minutes/hours, the DVI-HDMI monitor goes black and comes back, sometimes a few times in a row.

No Events found!