SonyHome
1 Nickel

RE: TB16 HDMI connected monitor goes blank for few seconds every few hours

Jump to solution

I did not enable "Airport mode" but I did turn off Wifi in Windows 10 system tray and disabled the "The Broadcom 802.11 Network Adapter provides wireless local area networking." card under the Network adapters.

0 Kudos
Roger Whitley
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I also turned off Wifi in the system tray, which reduced, but did not stop the monitor blanking. I've just enabled airplane mode. Will see if that does it.

0 Kudos
SonyHome
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Did airplane mode fix your monitor going blank?

0 Kudos
nufo
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Did anyone get to the bottom of this?  I am experiencing the same problems even after updating all the drivers.  I am connected via miniDP to a U3417W monitor and it is really getting annoying.  Sometimes it will go black for extended periods of time in the middle of doing work.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
SonyHome
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Still having my issues from the time I received it. Dell keeps on saying drivers but I think these TB16s may be defective. I never seen this issue with the TB15 with exact same setup but right after I connected TB16 it started happening.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

For those of you still having the issue in airplane mode, can you please PM me with your name, system service tag and a contact email address?    Would like to investigate a bit more.

0 Kudos
jarrodprice
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I too am having the same problem with the TB16.  I have an XPS 13 laptop with all the latest bios and drivers.

Telephone Tech support was no help at all, and simply sent me a replacement, which I knew right away would not be the solution, and it wasn't.  I have a usb c/display port adapter that instantly turns on my monitor as soon as it is connected, with no bugs.  The TB16 dock takes several seconds for the monitor and usb peripherals to turn on, and it only works intermittently.  On the occasions when it doesn't work, the devices cycle on and off at random, and do not stay on, even after reboot.  Oddly, the remedy when this occurs is to open my laptop display.  As long as the laptop display is open, the devices remained powered. Given the short length of the thumberbolt docking cable, this is hardly a workable solution, and one that requires me to switch from extended display to secondary display only each time.

My suspicion is the problem is somehow related to Windows Power Management and lid closed behavior. That is just a hunch.

0 Kudos
SonyHome
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I always have my lid open on my XPS15 but I'm using my W3415U as the primary monitor.

0 Kudos
nufo
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Have either of you tried putting the laptop into airplane mode (turns off WiFi and Bluetooth)?  I also have the same problem with my Dell U3417W screen going disconnecting and reconnecting and have been on the phone with Dell a few times.  They suggested it may be the wireless card and that I put the laptop into airplane mode.  And so far today, no disconnections.  Fingers crossed though!  If the wireless card is the problem, Dell will have to replace the motherboard on the laptop.  We'll see.

0 Kudos
SonyHome
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Yes I've tried disabling the wireless card and also putting in airplane mode. Neither worked.

0 Kudos