Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

February 9th, 2017 22:00

Tech support tells me to restore Windows 7 image, image cannot be downloaded and now Dell wants to charge me 67 euros for a USB key

Hello

Im very fed up with Dell's service.

I have a Precision 5510 that came with Windows 7 and a 500GB NVMe SSD. Performance was horrible without installing anything so I called up tech support.  Tech support told the usual deal: That I had to reinstall the OS. The USB key that came with the laptop had Windows 10.

Yesterday I start downloading the image from Dell's support site at 0800. At 1500 it finished and when using Dell's OS Recovery tool it says it is corrupted. I tried from another location with another internet connection and same thing.

Obviously angered and frustrated at the time I lost, I called up my sales rep and he offered to send me a USB key with Windows 7 for 67 euros.

This is a laptop for business use that has cost the company not only 2000 euros but a lost of productivity because of losing time on downloading the image. Dell should send me the key without any charge because I still dont think reinstalling a factory image on a laptop that from factory came slow is going to resolve anything.

22 Posts

February 10th, 2017 01:00

there are 2 possible solutions i can offer:

1. you can buy a windows 7 sealed CD from an IT store and do an installation.

2. Or you can download windows 7 from piratebay and also download Windows to USB Tool from google so you can use a USB to boot the windows. Then use the activation key Dell gave you to activate the windows.

But make sure your data is backed up so you dont lose anything important.

hopefully this will help.

74 Posts

February 10th, 2017 07:00

None of those solutions would work.

The standard W7 image would never see the 500GB NVMe SSD. It needs the Dell image which has the injected drivers.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 12th, 2017 04:00

You need the Dell Windows 7 Pro Skylake image. Its a large image so you require a stable internet connection.

The file size and checksums should match those listed here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-dell-windows-7-64-bit-reinstallation-sp2-oem-iso-for-a-uefi-bios/

If they don't match you have an incomplete download (corrupt .iso).

No Events found!