Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 24th, 2014 08:00

Terrible burning performance of the TSSTCORP DVD+-RW sn-208bb on the Vostro 3560

I've read almost every post here, installed, removed and tested settings (upper-lower filters, osprey toolbox and stuff), single and dual layer media (tdk, sony, maxell, generics but none from the "media to avoid" list) and software that I know works under other drivers and still coaster after coaster, and ever weirder, media comes out just as it came in: blank, and not even slightly warm, as it happens on my PC DVD burner, leading me to believe that this drive is not burning, no matter what.

My question is: is the BD-ROM Player / DVD burner/player combo any better? Has anyone swapped the DVD for the BluRay and gotten better burning capacities, apart from the very welcome BD playback upgrade?

Please share your experiences.

Thanks!

12 Posts

March 1st, 2014 13:00

I'd try booting live Ubuntu from USB stick and burning something at low speed with Brasero, eg. Ubuntu ISO onto DVD. If it also fails it'll be time to use your warranty.

So far I've had no problems with 3560's BD-ROM (CT40N), I was burning with Brasero, Ashapoo Burning Studio Free or UltraISO.

Regards,

Bartek

45 Posts

March 2nd, 2014 19:00

This is a very good idea. Unfortunately, my warranty expired way back when, but I will give it a try with a USB Ubuntu.

Thanks for the idea.

45 Posts

March 4th, 2014 06:00

Hi BartekZ.

I took your advice and set up Linux Mint to boot from a 4GB USB and attempted burning with Brasero and while I can positively say that the burner was working, it was taking forever. The sound was very odd, like when the laser resets itself and the speed was 1 t o1.3x, if that, never higher.

I got so fed up with the ultra low speed that I canceled the operation, but I can honestly say that the DVD was being burned, all right, but still no luck within Windows.

Is there a way to burn a DVD faster thru a USB OS or is this how it's supposed to happen? I suppose that since the burning process is being handled by the OS in the USB it was bound to be slow, but that slow? Would it help if I set up linux in a USB 3.0 stick? Is there a better Linux version for this than Mint?

So this is the part number of your BD-ROM : CT40N ?

I want to see if I can find one on eBay to swap it with my DVD-RW drive.

Sorry, too many questions.

Thank you once again.

No Events found!