Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 3rd, 2015 19:00

Terrible resolution issues on Dell XPS 13 2015 QHD model

Having really bad resolution issues on Dell XPS 13. 

I'm using it for University, and I'm doing a computer science course so the command line is an important feature. The text on it is completely zoomed out, I have went into the properties and maximized the font to no avail. Here's what it looks like, the image may not do it justice - I really have to squint to read it. 

Most other programs are like this too. Unity 3D looks really blurry, Sublime Text 2 looks the same. Text looks like it has been zoomed in on a few times so it fits the resolution and as a result you can almost see the individual pixels on text. 

Here's another program: Malwarebytes

This does feel like a bit of a joke considering the laptop is worth well over a thousand pounds.

1 Message

January 19th, 2016 10:00

hi there - same problems here unfortunately, I bought one of these yesterday for my business on the back of 'laptop of the year' reviews.  My client uses a java-based VDI to provide remote access to their systems - I can barely read the font size!  I'll take it into the IT guys today to see if there is anything that can be done re: Java settings, but I can't afford to wait so will be taking it back tomorrow for an exchange for something else if they can't resolve it.  Unfortunately I can't use Mac as one of my systems (MT4) only runs on Windows.

Will let you know if there is any fix

January 19th, 2016 14:00

I found the following workaround for enlarging the font size: http://www.danantonielli.com/adobe-app- ... plays-fix/ in an Adobe forum . Via a simple registry hack and a so-called manifest file for the application with poor scaling, the dpi-scaling can be switched of for that particular application. On my Dell XPS 13 2015 the scaling of the app is now OK, but the menu is very blurry. There are rumors that the Windows 10 high-dpi scaling problem will be addressed in the 'Redstone' update mid 2016.

1 Message

January 21st, 2016 03:00

Hi dears,

Same issue with me I just bought it 2 weeks ago and no one from sales let me know about it. It's clearly showing up when I use Microsoft SQL Server  2012 express edition.

Please share me with any solution if anyone find something.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Harreni

May 21st, 2016 17:00

Same problem and I have the XPS 15 9550. The issue has still not been resolved, and the display size of a few of my apps appears waaay too small. I have tried all the tricks and tips, and nothing works. If its an older app with no recent updates, that is a problem. It seems as if many programs have not yet upgraded to be compatible with such a high screen resolution, but the DELL PC should have a way to compensate for this, and to my knowledge, it does not.

I have had nothing but problems with this PC since the beginning.

June 1st, 2016 04:00

I have a Dell XPS 15 9550, still doing the same thing. To make various apps and programs appear normal sized on the monitor THIS is the only solution I have found.

Go to system, display settings, then scroll down, click on ADVANCED DISPLAY SETTINGS, go to  RESOLUTION bar, arrow down until you get to 800 x 600 or 1024 x 768, then click APPLY. The Icons and displays on NEWER programs will appear blurry and WAY TOO big, but on OLDER programs and apps designed for older PC's with less than 4K ULTRA resolution, most icons and displays will appear normal sized.

It will be rather tedious switching resolutions back and forth every time you want to use older programs and apps that are not displaying properly, but, until this problem is resolved, that is the only way I can find.

I think one of the problems is that many older apps and programs that have not updated their software, are just compatible with the faster/higher res of the Dell XPS series.

You may also have to change the resolution on your graphics card because NVIDIA has also been causing me problems.

1 Message

June 6th, 2016 08:00

I had the same issue so I ended up installing Oracle Virtual box and setting up a windows 10 pc image with 200% display size and now I can run my java apps.  I know it's not using my great display with the xps 13 but I'm happy with this workaround as I don't like java apps really and happy to put them on the lesser res virtual desktop.

1 Message

June 29th, 2016 16:00

Sir,

This is not a permanent solution

2 Posts

June 30th, 2016 08:00

I was contemplating a MacBook vs the XPS13.  This issue has become really frustrating and now I'm thinking I should've went for the Mac.

1 Message

July 5th, 2016 02:00

i have both XPS13 and MacBookAir. i felt apple is the best and it has the best track pad.

3 Posts

August 8th, 2016 22:00

I think I might have found a partial solution, or at least a place to start looking. I know this is not a Windows 10 issue, though, because I have a separate Windows 10 Dell Desktop and I do not have this problem on this one. I assume it must be the graphics cards. I updated the drivers for the Intel onboard video card drivers and that didn't seem to fix the issue either, but I'll do the auto update and try it again.

However, I found this article that seemed to adjust some of the settings, like increasing the font size and etc.

www.windowscentral.com/how-make-text-apps-bigger-windows-10

I don't know if this will fix everyone's problem, but it might be a good place to start experimenting.  From what I'm reading, it sounds like the XPS 13 has some models with Nvidia cards and some with Intel cards.  But we're all having the same problem.  Has anyone tried calling Dell tech support or any other communication or contact with them to see if the problem can be fixed?  I can't find where the service tag is located on my laptop (Dell used to attach a sticker to all their computers with the service tag and product ID - I don't know why they quit doing it.  You can also contact Dell on Twitter 24/7 through @DellCares https://twitter.com/DellCares

But, if you're in the US, go here (If you're not in the US just Google "dell support drivers" (without the quotes): http://www.dell.com/support/home/US/en/04/Products/laptop?app=drivers

(The forum likes to automatically parse links, but the above link is just to the Dell drivers for the XPS laptop)

and click detect product it will download a file to find your service tag for you.  Then click the "Detect Drivers" button and have it check if you have any new drivers you need to install.  If you aren't familiar with computers that well, then SKIP the BIOS update, since if you do something wrong during that process, it can "brick" your computer making it inoperable.  If you want to update BIOS but aren't computer savvy, call Dell Tech Support on the phone and have them walk you through it.  But, download everything else, temporarily disable your antivirus software, Windows Defender, and the Microsoft Firewall, then install the updates.

To turn off Windows Firewall, right click on the Start button (or the Windows button or whatever they're calling it these days. The button on the bottom left corner of your screen) and go to Windows Firewall. Click "Turn Windows Firewall on or off".  Then just turn both of them to off and hit ok.  I searched Google for how to turn off Windows Defender temporarily but couldn't find anything.  I have my Windows Defender turned off by a separate piece of software I downloaded called O&O ShutUp which you can download from here: https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

This software is not for novices, but if you know what you're doing it can be very useful in turning off a lot of annoying features in Windows 10 like Cortana and other junk you don't use or don't need.  But for the purposes of just turning off Windows Defender, all you have to do, is download the file, run it, and look for where it says "Windows Defender and Microsoft Spynet" and click the button that says "Windows Defender disabled" and it should turn green.  It will prompt you to create a system restore point, so click YES to that incase anything goes wrong, you can always restore back to the prior time before you changed the settings.  Then just close O&O ShutUp and restart your computer.  If someone knows a better way to turn off Windows Defender temporarily, please feel free to post it.  Once you've restarted, temporarily disable your anti-virus.  Because everyone will probably be using a different anti-virus, you'll have to consult with them as to how to do this.  On mine, I just right click on the icon on the bottom right hand corner of my screen for it, and choose to pause the protection until I restart.

The reason you want to do all this is because Windows Defender, Firewall, and anti-virus software can often cause install of software to not work correctly.  Then you want to go back to the link above to download and install your drivers.  It will probably prompt you to detect the system again, but it might have saved your service tag, then you can go ahead and click Detect Drivers.  Download and install everything it prompts you to (and the BIOS update if you're feeling courageous), you might have to restart several times when installing the drivers.  After that is down, turn Windows Firewall back on and Windows Defender back on - just use the reverse directions I mentioned above.  Probably the most important drivers are for your Video Card, but with this problem, who knows.

If it's still not working properly after updating the device drivers, I would contact Dell either through phone, or their chat service, or Twitter and see if they can help there.

(It seems I can't type below the image)

Sorry if my instructions are a little jumbled, but this forum software is a bit weird.  But, I hope that helps.  If nothing else, your drivers will be up to date.  If this works for anyone, please let me know or if anyone gets in touch with Dell Support and finds a fix, let us know on here as well.

They suggestion going under Appearance & Personalization and Display and then adjusting the settings here: 

2 Posts

August 9th, 2016 06:00

A quick update: for some reason, the new Windows 10 Anniversary Update (August 2016) and the Dell Graphics Card Driver update seems to have fixed this resolution issue. I am not able to use older programs show up fine, install some programs which did not install before due to resolution issues (the installation stopped midway citing screen resolution as a reason) etc.

I honestly don't know if the Windows 10 August 2016 / Dell Graphics Card driver update has anything to do with this but I can't think of anything else.

For those having similar issues I would recommend checking now with the latest Windows 10 update and the latest graphics drivers from Dell and see if it fixes the problem. Good luck.

August 9th, 2016 21:00

FIXED, yes, it is fixed! (mostly) [<:o)] 

Download the latest driver and BIOS updates from DELL and windows. Resolution on the screen may change to a lower grade, BUT most, (not all) older programs WILL work and be displayed where they can be read. 

ALSO, the issue with the picture NOT displaying VIA a HDMI cable to your LED HDTV, yeah, that is fixed too. 

Suggestion: Get  QUALITY high speed HDMI cables. I bought two different kinds from two different companies, but they are both HDMI cables meant for high speed/high quality video and audio, they are the latest HDMI cable on the market, and they work.   

2 Posts

May 26th, 2017 22:00

What is of serious issue here is, Dell does not Care! I have had this same problem since purchasing my Dell XPS 13 256SSD 16Gb RAM in early 2016....both screen and using Java. I have sought Dell Support help re this matter and Support staff repeatedly stated there was no issue, indeed treated me with indifference. I specifically purchased this laptop to enhance my online share trading capability, which platform uses the widely utilised IRESS Java based interface. Now, after considerable angst and wasted time trying to address the matter, it would appear Dell Support has been aware of the issue and how to fix it from the start? One would thus be forgiven for thinking, Dell Support has shown considerable lack of professional conduct, indeed the question has to be raised as to whether Dell Support has deliberately set about to deceived its client base? I wonder just how many future Dell sales have been lost because of the Head of Dell Support's lack of professional care to Dell's client base? I certainly feel that Dell Support has not shown reasonable care in supporting its client base!

2 Posts

May 26th, 2017 22:00

What is of serious issue here is, Dell does not Care! I have had this same problem since purchasing my Dell XPS 13 256SSD 16Gb RAM in early 2016....both screen and using Java. I have sought Dell Support help re this matter and Support staff repeatedly stated there was no issue, indeed treated me with indifference. I specifically purchased this laptop to enhance my online share trading capability, which platform uses the widely utilised IRESS Java based interface. Now, after considerable angst and wasted time trying to address the matter, it would appear Dell Support has been aware of the issue and how to fix it from the start? One would thus be forgiven for thinking, Dell Support has shown considerable lack of professional conduct, indeed the question has to be raised as to whether Dell Support has deliberately set about to deceived its client base? I wonder just how many future Dell sales have been lost because of the Head of Dell Support's lack of professional care to Dell's client base? I certainly feel that Dell Support has not shown reasonable care in supporting its client base!

3 Posts

May 27th, 2017 17:00

It's a shame, because Dell used to have excellent customer service.  I know for a fact there is an issue in the Broadcom network drivers in these models of laptops, because it crashes if you make too many connections.  But, Dell doesn't seem to be aware or care about the issue.

I used to work in tech support for CompUSA in the late 90s.  Then, the company got bought by Telmex (the Mexican telephone company) and I was laid off.  I always tried my hardest to resolve the customers issues, but nowadays, it's all about how quickly you can get the customer off the phone/chat/etc.  15 minutes over the phone is too long and the tech on the other end will be reprimanded for going over that limit.  I never minded that though, and just trudged through to solve the persons problem.  Probably why I was one of the chosen to be laid off.  Now all the tech support is outsourced to the Philippines and India where they are either very hard to understand, or the staff have to practice talking with marbles in their mouths (this is true, Google it) to try and speak in a more 'English' tone of voice.

As far as the tiny screen issue, I am still having the same problem after countless updates and everything else and there doesn't seem to be anything to do to fix it.  I upgraded to Windows 10 Creators update and it didn't help either.

So, I basically gave up on it.

No Events found!