Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 7th, 2015 12:00

The Latitude E6440 does not have functional USB 3.0 ports.

I have worked with several Dell Latitude E6440's, and they exhibit the same problem:  The USB 3.0 ports function at USB 2.0 speeds.  I have followed your Dell Latitude E6440 Windows 7 Driver Install Order to a T, and I've tried both the latest USB 3.0 driver from Intel's website (which, for the record, I should be able to use with no problems) as well as your horribly outdated one from the Latitude E6440's product support page.

The problem persists.  If I plug a USB 3.0 device into the USB 3.0 ports, I will receive a balloon that says "This device can perform faster," informing me to plug the device into a USB 3.0 port.  The device is plugged into a USB 3.0 port.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 7th, 2015 15:00

Laptops should have Dell customized drivers instead of Intel. See if any of these will work if you have not tried them already-  pilot.search.dell.com/windows%207%20usb%203~prd0%20driver%20for%20E6440

20 Posts

May 7th, 2015 15:00

Actually, they SHOULD work just fine with the most up-to-date drivers from Intel's website, but I realize I'm fighting a losing battle here, and OEM's are allowed to drop support for their products months after they're released -- hence why the USB 3.0 driver for the E6440 is nearly six months out of date.

In any case, expecting the tried-and-true "You should use our unacceptably out-of-date drivers instead of the manufacturer's up-to-date ones," I already tried Dell's USB 3.0 driver for the E6440, according to a Dell document detailing the proper install order.

It didn't work, so I'm gonna need something a little more than "try every single one of these even older drivers before we help you."

74 Posts

May 7th, 2015 20:00

Its a know issue, see this thread for more information http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19610392

20 Posts

May 8th, 2015 10:00

I mean, that's incredibly disappointing.  Still, it's good that they're aware of the issue and are working on it...

...but now would be a good time to reflect back on why it's a bad idea to "customize" anything and everything when the original developer has done a good enough job as is.  You don't need customized chipset drivers, Dell, and you don't need "customized" USB 3.0 drivers.

You need to make your computers as independent of your support as they can reasonably be.  The only thing that I should need to get from your website is BIOS updates.  That's it.  Everything else should be able to be gotten via the manufacture

74 Posts

May 8th, 2015 23:00

Its a BIOS issue. also happens to me on linux. For now you can downgrade to BIOS A07 ... they've been aware of the issue for several months now... a bios update that should resolve the problem is planned for July.

20 Posts

March 15th, 2016 16:00

This problem has been fixed since the A12 BIOS update.

Thanks for your commitment, Dell.  The E7440s have been otherwise great.  A little big, but that's our fault.  Our next main line from you is to be E7250s.  >:)

No Events found!