Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 26th, 2012 20:00

The speed of processor 0 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware.

Hey I am new to the community but I bought the laptop in august september of last year. it is a  inspiron n17 n7110, intel i7, 8gbs, geforece 525m. What happens is the computer slows down for one to two seconds while playing an audio file on itunes, watching a video on youtube or a video file and playing games. the computer sound comes out in slow mo and the video follows suit.

I first noticed it after a couple of days after i got it, and figured it was codecs, for the audio or video. So I got updated codecs. Did not work. I figured it was software so i never called dell, and updated all the device drivers for the laptop, bios to motherboard to ram. Did not work.

I left it until now because i usually stream all my media but lately i wanna play games on it and i know it is going to bug me.  I did some digging on forums and i found these instructions: type event viewer into search on the window button: click on it. Click on custom views: then click on the warning errors that show up. this is the error i get at the exact time of the issue:

"The speed of processor 0 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report."  I checked the reported time of the error and it was the exact time it happen while i was playing the test game Far Cry.

I then typed the error into google and most of the results came back that it was a processor overheating causing it to bog down. which would make sense if it happened only when playing games but it happens while watching youtube an listening to itunes.

in a another websites forum a gentleman had a similar problem and he said that dell had to replace the processor but i assumed that it was just them taking it and trying everything. but now i am at my wits end.

No Responses!
No Events found!