Highlighted

The wattage and type of the AC adapter cannot be determined

I am getting this error message. My battery is not charging. And it is clocking my cpu speed to 0.5 GHz. I heard that there is a pin in the DC jack that tells a chip on the computer to tell the computer that the AC adapter is not suitable (whether damage or low wattage). I'm wondering if there is a way to disable the chip and just use it at full speed, I don't really need a battery because I'm mainly on AC use anyways.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

RE: The wattage and type of the AC adapter cannot be determined

Mine will do that if the plug is not all the way in.  It has happened to me twice now and I would have thought it would take more than 1/16th of an inch to cause the situation.

Sorry I don't know of a way to bypass this check.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

RE: The wattage and type of the AC adapter cannot be determined

There is no bypass (you can turn off the message but the system will then run as if on battery all the time).

First try:  a new Dell OEM AC adapter.  If that doesn't solve the problem, and your system uses a removeable DC jack (most newer ones do), replace the DC jack.  If your system has a soldered-on jack, you can either have a shop replace the jack or replace the mainboard.

0 Kudos