Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 15th, 2015 13:00

They tell you repair is warrantied, send it in, then when they get it, tell you it is not warrantied?

They get the laptop and in 12 seconds decide it is not under warranty, after they have told you it is under warranty and send it in for repairs?

• Last Updated: Monday, September 14, 2015
  • Next Status Update: On Hold

• Service Logged Date: Wednesday, August 26, 2015
  • Estimated Return: On Hold

Repair of your unit has begun

• 9/14/2015 4:00:21 PM: Your product is currently being repaired by a certified technician. This step includes repairing, testing, and any necessary parts replacement to return your unit to working condition.
  • 9/14/2015 4:00:33 PM: Billable Hold: The repairs required for your unit are not covered by Dell’s Limited Warranty. Please contact Dell Out-of-Warranty Support queue to speak to a representative for additional information: in the US 800.288.4410 or in Canada 866.440.3355.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

September 15th, 2015 14:00

Call the number and find out. It is a limited one year warranty and some parts are not covered even if it is still under a year.

September 15th, 2015 15:00

Well DUH!! I did. They did. It is. And all of a sudden, now it is not.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 15th, 2015 15:00

What is the nature of the problem with the system?

September 15th, 2015 17:00

The plug IN the laptop where the charger is plugged into does not recognize when the charger is plugged into it. YES, I have had a friend use my charger for their laptop and it did work for them. They also let me try their charger, just after it had charged up their laptop and my laptop did not "recognize" it was plugged in. This problem started months ago with the first issue being a message showing that said "Use a 65W Dell charger" which is exactly what was used. It would recognize a charger was plugged in and charge. Then the message would show and it would not recognize the charger was plugged in, I would have to wiggle the exterior part of the plug until the interior plug part would recognize the charger was plugged in and charge. Then the message shows, no amount of wiggling would get the interior plug part to recognize the charger was plugged in and it did not charge at all/

5.2K Posts

September 15th, 2015 17:00

These symptoms are consistent with damage to the DC socket on the system board or power board. This is usually considered to be due to physical damage, not a manufacturing defect. My daughter had to pay $300 to replace the system board on a 3 month old laptop, and it was definitely damaged by her (kids!!!). Dell would probably have disassembled the unit to see what damage was present. Anyone purchasing an expensive laptop from Dell should purchase additional years of warranty as well as accidental damage coverage. About 30% of laptops require service the first year.

This problem will continue to be an issue with laptops that are moved around a lot until the industry comes up with a foolproof power connection. Apple had a system using short connecting pins and a magnet to keep the plug in place. It was withdrawn.

September 15th, 2015 18:00

Thanks for the response, KirkD.

It is so upsetting, especially as I am a disabled veteran and not a young kid {57} and know how to properly handle expensive equipment. 

I am not prone to just dropping it on a table or flinging it to a desk or any such thing, yet  "I"  am the one that damaged it.

It has been on my kitchen table sine the day i got it, never moved from there as that was the only available area that met my requirements for proper space {at least 3 inches more all around than the size of the device}.

As for the extra warranty, I have decided to use SquareTrade from now on, they have unbelievable warranties for amazing prices.

5.2K Posts

September 16th, 2015 07:00

These power problems always occur from mis-handling. All it takes is one kick of the DC cable when it's plugged  in. The DC socket is very susceptible to this kind of damage. I'm still waiting for a real improvement in the power situation for ALL laptop manufacturers.

All the major physical problems with laptops are related to dropping the laptop or handling the power supply and the connections. DC sockets, broken DC cables, damaged hard drives, broken hinges, damaged screens, etc., etc. The common response is "I never abuse my laptop", even when obvious physical damage is present.

September 16th, 2015 12:00

{slightly surprised} I am going to be courteous and give you the benefit of the doubt that was not a covertly implied turn of the phrase "untruthful". I am not in the habit of kicking the cable nor dropping the laptop. As for the "mis-handling", it would seem more of a design fault, just as the ignition of a vehicle loosened over time from the weight of the keys on the keychain pulls it out of alignment. I have always attempted to keep that large, heavy part propped up as not to have it pulling on the part of the cord that is plugged into the laptop.

9.4K Posts

September 17th, 2015 09:00

The plug IN the laptop where the charger is plugged into does not recognize when the charger is plugged into it. YES, I have had a friend use my charger for their laptop and it did work for them. They also let me try their charger, just after it had charged up their laptop and my laptop did not "recognize" it was plugged in. This problem started months ago with the first issue being a message showing that said "Use a 65W Dell charger" which is exactly what was used. It would recognize a charger was plugged in and charge. Then the message would show and it would not recognize the charger was plugged in, I would have to wiggle the exterior part of the plug until the interior plug part would recognize the charger was plugged in and charge. Then the message shows, no amount of wiggling would get the interior plug part to recognize the charger was plugged in and it did not charge at all/

Hi Wantusservices,

Thanks for posting.  There are small wires in the charger plug that let the system know what type of charger it is, how fast to charge, etc.  These wires can become damaged by just simply plugging and unplugging the cable from the computer.  I see in your post that you said:  "I would have to wiggle the exterior part of the plug until the interior plug part would recognize the charger was plugged in and charge. Then the message shows, no amount of wiggling would get the interior plug part to recognize the charger was plugged in and it did not charge at all"  This "wiggling" eventually causes damage to the charging circuit, and is considered "customer caused damage" and is not covered under warranty.

Hopefully this explains things a bit better for you. 

Regards,
Robert

September 17th, 2015 10:00

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the reply.

If "simply plugging and unplugging the cable from the computer" can cause damage, then it is a DESIGN FAULT! 

If Dell can not make a charger plug to handle NORMAL use, why punish the consumer? We did not make nor install INFERIOR components.

Why should a perfectly good {and most expensive part} motherboard have to be trashed {or most likely, in someones after work possession} due to a small and inexpensive but poor quality part??

24 Posts

September 17th, 2015 11:00

I have a 3 year Square Trade on my last laptop and it is terrific! Wires should not break from normal use of plugging in a charger! The onus should be on Dell to prove it was due to neglect! Good Luck and thanks for your service!

September 17th, 2015 12:00

Dear Orucco,

Thank you for your supportive and considerate comments.

Yes, my new tablet {not a Dell, surprise surprise}, is under a SquareTrade 3 yr, all type, coverage. Unfortunately I did not get the laptop covered within the first month after purchase.

As I previously mentioned, "As for the "mis-handling", it would seem more of a design fault, just as the ignition of a vehicle loosened over time from the weight of the keys on the keychain pulls it out of alignment."

It is  unfathomable that, in all probability, the most inexpensive and common part causes the loss of the most expensive and  primary part, that is not damaged at all.

You know beyond a shadow of a doubt that someone is separating the plug from the motherboard and keeping it for themselves or reselling it for their  personal profit.

September 17th, 2015 13:00

Hello and good afternoon.

What did dell determine as the problem with the system or did you even receive an answer?

Dell has had several changes to their protocol over the last couple of years causing a bit of frustration with the end users, myself included.

What does the system do when booted up or does it boot at all?

September 17th, 2015 13:00

Hello and good afternoon.

If you want to pay money for technical help that is exactly what you will be told when calling 800-288-4410.

I have another reply just posted, my bad, as I did not look at all of the other replies. OOPS!

Replace the AC Power Adapter with a 90 Watt. What model of Laptop do you have?

September 28th, 2015 00:00

Hello and good evening

You are absolutely correct regarding warranties.

I have owned approximately 10 Dell Computers and I ALWAYS purchase:

5 year Pro Support with NBD Onsite Service.

5 Year complete care coverage.

Both for around $400-500 dollars

Worth it? You bet.

Every computer that I have owned has had the system board and HDD or SSD replaced through these warranties.

Dell's policy is "like or better." In some cases on discontinued models you receive a newer model with more "bells and whistles."

Currently, I have a Latitude E6510 with Windows 10 Pro and the system is trouble-free and has absolutely no issues. I do not use "stab in the dark" fixes suggested on this forum but use my own tools obtained over the years from Pro Support.

My apologies for getting "carried away."

Mark

No Events found!