Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

G

2 Posts

March 27th, 2004 06:00

This'll be the last Dell I ever buy if this is a typical warranty 'repair'.

Last week, I contacted Dell in regards to the backlight on my Inspiron 1100 intermittently failing.

The tech on the phone arranged to send me a prepaid package to ship my laptop in for repair.

He also mentioned that I should enclose a letter stating what the problem is. I did so.

I sent the machine in on Tuesday afternoon. Dell shipped it back on Thursday.

The paperwork from the so-called 'repair center' said that they couldn't duplicate the problem
No kidding, Sherlock.. It's an intermittent problem and you'd need more than a single day to catch it.

The enraging thing is that it did it for me again as soon as I turned it on for the first time after I got it back from the 'repair center'.

I used to recommend Dell machines, Not any more.

2.2K Posts

March 27th, 2004 06:00

Well send it back to them and clearly explain that it is an intermittent problem..... they may not have understood that and hence they did everything right, they tried to replicate the problem but couldn't, hence nothing was wrong from their POV. Call again and set up another service, clearly indicate its not a constant problem.

stu

394 Posts

March 27th, 2004 19:00

I got the cheapest warantee (1yr.) and the DELL guy on the phone is sending a guy to my house will this cause any extra charges if so how much?

As far as the cost of the mobo that is under warantee!!!

Dell still sells some good hardware.....but their Tech Support has gone on a nosedive.

412 Posts

It depends on whether or not you pay more for onsite warranty service if you have to send the system in.  I'm fortuneate as my college campus has Dell Certified Repair service, so I saved on the warranty upcharge.

JK

394 Posts

Hey i have a question:

With my 600m a DELL tech person is coming to my house to repair it monday(bringing a new mobo) but in his case he had to send his 1100 in to DELL through mail. HOW DO THEY DECIDE IF YOU GET SOMEONE AT YOUR HOUSE OR HAVE TO SEND IT IN?

Also from the time the DELL tech person comes fixes it and leaves i will not get a single charge right? IT'S COMPLETELY FREE ISN'T IT? cause they are doing it under warantee!!!

2 Posts

March 27th, 2004 22:00

I wrote the opening post at the end of a bad day, so my tone was a little harsher than it should have been. I apologize if anyone was offended.

That being said, I did mention that the problem was intermittent in the enclosed letter.

I did a little searching here on the forums and it turns out that there are other people who are having similar problems with their 1100's.

One person claimed it was a BIOS issue. I just installed the latest A29 release and I'll see what happens.

401 Posts

March 28th, 2004 00:00

I got the cheapest warantee (1yr.) and the DELL guy on the phone is sending a guy to my house will this cause any extra charges if so how much?

As far as the cost of the mobo that is under warantee!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The cheapest warranty is return to depot for repair.  Did you upgrade to onsite for the 1yr contract?  If not don't hold your breath the onsite tech will ever call or show up, and if they do be prepared with your credit card.

March 28th, 2004 01:00

Um, ya know, instead of copying text, it would be easiler (and a bit less confusing) if you just quoted the person you were replying to...

2.2K Posts

March 28th, 2004 05:00

Each to ones own, I can understand the way he does it, and if he find it easier then let him. Cheers,

stu

March 28th, 2004 06:00

Well, the problem I had when first reading the post was, "Hey, didn't I someone else say that?" Then I discovered that he had made a seperation and was quoting someone.

I was confused.

Message Edited by Billy Jingles on 03-28-2004 12:04 AM

No Events found!