Highlighted
TSUTOMU45
1 Copper

Thunderbolt 3 and Closed Lid on XPS 15

I'm having an issue displaying video from the Thunderbolt 3 dock to my monitor via DisplayPort.  I have an XPS 15 9550.

It seems that the flurry of drivers released in the last week or so solved almost everything, but I'm still having problems getting the video consistently working while the lid is closed. It seems like the computer (XPS 15 9550) puts the display out to sleep even if I specify "do nothing" on lid close action.

Just wondering if anyone has any luck.

On a separate note (and slightly related), can I output to two daisy-chained monitors via a USB-C to displayport adapter? Two monitors in question are U2715Hs. This might be my backup plan if I can't get the TB dock to work before the 30 day return timeline.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vanwirtp
1 Copper

RE: Thunderbolt 3 and Closed Lid on XPS 15

I have the same problem with my new XPS 13 9350.  When lid is closed and I'm connected to an external HDMI monitor through the Thunderbolt 3 port (USB Type C), the monitor arbitrarily goes to sleep.  I am using a simple USB-C to HDMI dongle to effect compatibility.  This only occurs when the laptop lid is closed.

I can find no consistent pattern to this.  Sometimes it will reawaken upon keyboard entry, and sometimes I have to open the laptop and close it to awaken the external monitor.  Very frustrating.  I spent several hours debugging with tech support.

0 Kudos
ping2016
1 Copper

I have the same issue.  All bios and drivers updated.  have xps 15 9550 with the tb15 dock and two monitors, wireless keyboard an mouse.  Thunderbolt dock still has issues with the following:

-randomly will lose devices connected to the dock (monitors, key/mouse) when lid is closed.  seems like this doesnt occur if laptop lid left open. i changed settings to disable sleep on close but still goofy things going on when trying to use dock with lid closed.

-lose devices when signing out of account (i have windows 10).  have to unplug the dock, log back in with a user, then plug dock back in.  if you unplug and then plug in the dock while still on the windows 10 login screen it wont work properly when you sign back in

-dock will not properly wake back up the laptop if it goes to sleep using the dock sleep button, but it will go to sleep using the button on the dock.  any connected devices wont come back once laptop sleeps.  this usually results in having to do a hard reboot of the system

Dell please fix via another update to the drivers.  We are planning on ordering 5-10 more of these systems for the office to replace our legacy HP notebooks + docks, but this dock is not usable at the moment.

Thanks

0 Kudos
avoodoo
1 Copper

Same issue here!

XPS 13, two Dell U2415 are going to sleep after closing the lid - with power plan "do nothing on lid close".

Please Dell update your drivers for TB15! And please stop producing banana-ware you are wasting you customers time.

0 Kudos
toddwh505
1 Copper

I have all the same issues as above. 

Applying recent updates have seemed to help on one of my two TB15 docks, but not the other. And I've applied the TB15 bios upgrades on both of them. Strange that two different "identical" devices act differently. Very frustrating.

I have a love/hate relationship with Dells and have bought a LOT of them. But I'm leaning more towards the latter with this (expensive!) laptop.

0 Kudos