Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 14th, 2016 11:00

Thunderbolt TB15 Dock still not working

I just installed the latest set of drivers. The dock still does not connect to my XPS 15- 9550.

This process has gone on for two months.

13 Posts

April 14th, 2016 12:00

Return it. No amount of software/firmware updates is going to make this device good. It has several hardware issues.

1 Message

April 25th, 2016 09:00

This dock is junk...I had really high hopes for it, but Dell has seriously let me down. I ordered 2 brand new XPS 15's and 2 of theses docs at the end of last month. The docks came in on the 23rd, but the laptops didn't come in until the 29th. I have been through the wringer trying to get the two to play nice with each other and they just won't. I called support today (the 25th) to return the two docks, and they inform me that they are outside of the return window. I oversee a business with around 35-40 pc's and 7 server systems. I am afraid Dell has just lost my business...

13 Posts

July 11th, 2016 00:00

Appears fixed with new Bios?

I updated the bios with the new driver for my xps15 9550 yesterday 10 July 2016.  This APPEARS to have fixed the lack of usb/ethernet on the tb15 dock.

Just to recap, I had the dropping video port and usb/ethernet problems originally, Dell swapped the TB15 for me which fixed the video problem only, I still had usb/ethernet drop out after a few minutes and unreliable sleep/resume usually needing re-boot.

I updated to the  1.2.10 Bios firmware from the Dell site yesterday which include the USB-C firmware. The first update failed.  I repeated it and it ran through ok, the dock was connected all the time.

I now have  had the laptop on for 24 hours and ethernet has been maintained. I put to sleep last night, it resumed ok this morning but Id lost the external wired keyboard but usb wireless mouse ok  Everything fed from the dock. keyboard re-plugged and all fine.  So barring that, everything works so far.  I should point out I dont use WiFi and this is switched off. 

In summary there was a video problem with the original tb15, after that it appears the XPX15  bios/ USB-C that was the problem.

3 Posts

April 14th, 2016 21:00

They won't take it back. I would have to have returned it within 30 days. Now they want me to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10, which I've been wanting to get done anyway.

70 Posts

April 26th, 2016 19:00

I'm tending to agree that the TB15 is junk, in firmware/software and in hardware as the thing suddenly is now being detected as a 65w power supply instead of the attached 240w (even replacing this didn't help). Going to try a replacement, but Dell now doesn't know when it will ship. Guessing they're trying to resolve the issues...hopefully. Thing looks great on paper. Anyone know of a TB hub that can drive three external high res monitors or more?

8 Posts

April 29th, 2016 08:00

Having the same issues here, the low power warning, dock disconnecting after use, flimsy USB. I really do hope dell solves this and I have not seen a similar feature in a third party dock.

1 Message

May 5th, 2016 14:00

Well hopes dashed. I received two TB15 docks today (5/5/16). Fresh off the assembly line dated 4/24/16. I did all the updates, ran the firmware (even though I'd hope it had the newer firmware) got a power cycle error on that one. But both docks are exhibiting all the issues documented previously in these forums.

- External monitor blanks off/on

- USB doesn't work (wireless keyboard/mouse example)

- Ethernet comes and goes

The only thing it 'seems' to be doing correctly right now on our two XPS 15 9550s is charge the laptop. Although it's only been two hours since install.

Disappointing as I cannot find anything on the market yet that will equal this feature set.

Calling Dell now to setup the return. Sigh....

RH in Austin

13 Posts

May 9th, 2016 02:00

First TB15 dock used with XPS15 worked great for 3 weeks using one 2.5k and one 4k external monitor both via Displayport, ethernet, usb for keyboard, mouse.

After 3 weeks one display port would go off once dock was warm. Support updated bios all the drivers (I had already done this), new ethernet driver would not install

Dock replaced.

All drivers etc updated again. New version of ethernet driver (A01_02) does now install

Thunderbolt controller driver now only provided remove option, even if already removed, registry cleaned and rebooted, still only provides remove option

Now both display ports ok but ethernet & usb will not work from sleep. Have to power off dock & laptop to re-start both.  This looks like a buggy update to a new drivers

this is poor for £300

10 Posts

May 10th, 2016 13:00

Dell seems to have discontinued the product. The product pages have been deleted from Dell's website. I am worried about future support now.

8 Posts

May 11th, 2016 10:00

I was doing a few linkedin searches to see if i could find someone expert on these docks to talk to at Dell. However, i noticed that the engineer/architect who chose the components for TB15/WD15 left Dell in March. Coincidence? 

May 16th, 2016 18:00

I have a VGA and a HDMI monitor both hooked into the TB15.  Nothing else.  No problems for 45 days, then the VGA monitor started to turn off.  After reading this post I checked the top of the TB15 and it did not feel warm...BUT the bottom of the dock was quite hot.  It seems the rubber pad on the bottom is trapping a lot of heat.  I set the box on its side to ventilate the bottom of the box and no more problems (for now).

2 Posts

May 17th, 2016 21:00

OK, I have had every issue that people have complained about here...disconnecting usb devices, monitors disconnecting, flashing screens, reboots of the docking station etc.

I had noticed the box was hot right at the beginning and propped it up to try and cool it off, but nothing I did made a difference.  Then in desperation I turned it on it's side as recommended in this post, and it has BEEN ROCK SOLID ever since. 

Crazy.

At any rate, try it folks, this problem appears to be a heat problem.

1 Message

May 23rd, 2016 21:00

Ditto-

I'm tired of going in circles download, enter service tag, express code, cannot find device.  Installed all drivers found, plugs in, restarts, monitors, mouse, keyboard still DO NOT WORK, AGGGH!  Help DELL.  So far it's just a paperweight.

8 Posts

May 24th, 2016 14:00

I tried turning it on the side, but still after 3-4 hours it shutdown, lost video, usb.. Talked to dell yesterday and have an open ticket so we'll see if they honor the guarantee.

2 Posts

May 26th, 2016 18:00

I spoke too soon.  All of the issues are back.  It reboots, flashes my monitors off, drops the audio etc.  It is the most expensive power brick ever.

:emotion-12:

No Events found!