Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 14th, 2016 11:00

Thunderbolt TB15 Dock still not working

I just installed the latest set of drivers. The dock still does not connect to my XPS 15- 9550.

This process has gone on for two months.

27 Posts

July 2nd, 2016 14:00

Hey. I'm running 75% without issue FWIW. I did encounter problems eventually at 50% although they did not show up immediately. About half the time I'm using ethernet so it doesn't matter.

My experiences have been 100% elimination of all negative behaviors I was having with the TB15. I haven't even installed the latest drivers in the last month or so (though I will get to it). This is definitely the cause of my problems, right down to the fact that I was not able to close the lid on my 9550 without seeing the monitor back light drop off for a few seconds every several minutes. I had that problem even before the TB15 was available and I saw it with multiple external monitors. It's possible that the Broadcom is interfering with more than just Thunderbolt 3.

I'm also a sample size of two because I have two TB15s in two locations, and the results of been uniformly positive in both.

I'm told by an official source that Dell is working on new hardware to replace the TB15 whose main purpose is to better shield the Thunderbolt 3 circuitry to avert this issue. People who are on record with support as having this problem are much more likely to be offered a swap of revised hardware for old hardware.

13 Posts

July 4th, 2016 03:00

I dont use wifi and the wireless is switched off. I have tried putting it on and adjusting the power settings to no avail. I have never been able to use the TB15 ethernet or USB ports and I have to use an ethernet dongle.

Dell did swap out by first TB15 because one video port failed. The new one has had DP ports working reliably and is the only reason I am persevering with it for now.

I have done all the updates and the mist recent firmware update fails part way through install.  Dell are keen to refund me leaving me with no system hence I hang on hoping for a new model. or I get the plugable TB3 dock when it is out

"plugable.com/thunderbolt-3

27 Posts

July 4th, 2016 12:00

Just for the record, your symptoms sound different to me than the ones described by people who have had the problem solved by turning the Wi-Fi power down. For those of us with that situation, our ethernet, USB and external monitor ports went down randomly and intermittently. It's clear to me that there's more than one problem. From what you describe of the failed firmware update, no matter what, I think you should take Dell up on the refund. Even if you just go and buy another TB15. Your unit sounds hosed.

13 Posts

July 5th, 2016 00:00

Sorry I should have said, yes all the problems were intermittent. The ethernet/usb ports work for about 1 minute then go off.  Note that Dell no longer sells this Dock so its not possible to buy another. I am only sticking with it as the video seems to work now until an alternative comes up capable of running a 2.5 and 4k external monitor. I did read that Apple are dropping Thunderbolt?  if so I dont see much of a future path for this route.

13 Posts

July 5th, 2016 07:00

np. If i reboot the laptop and the dock, the usb & ethernet work for about a minute then go off, not to return.

27 Posts

July 5th, 2016 07:00

I'm told that Dell will be releasing an updated version of this product. If you don't mind, I'd like to belabor the point about intermittency. Do your USB and ethernet connections come back on at some point or do they just come on for a minute, turn off, and that's it? If they always follow the pattern of turning off after a minute then that's not what I mean by intermittent. There are very definitely at least two separate problems. The wireless radio thing only works on the problem where you have random drop-offs of monitor, USB and/or ethernet.

37 Posts

July 5th, 2016 08:00

There's a new BIOS out today for the Precision 5510 that fixes some issues with the TB15

6 Posts

July 6th, 2016 07:00

Okay new BIOS for XPS 15 and new USB drivers for TB15 and more F**ked than before... Complained and basic response is try the updates...blah blah blah.... Spoke with Legal friend and they are pretty much happy to start legal proceeding based on the 'Fit for Purpose' laws...

Dell have offered a refund for Dock however seem to miss the fact it was purchased as a complete system ie. XPS 15 + 4k 30" LED and Dock to bring it all together.... not to mention DELL speaker and external accessories from DELL.... totaling near 3k...

Really disappointed with this shower of sh!t.....

1 Message

July 8th, 2016 09:00

This TB15 is a total nightmare. None of their updates have worked on mine either. You are luckily they are even offering you a refund for the dock. I bought an XPS15 from them, and then bought a TB15 from a third-party retailer. They claim I am only entitled to a replacement, and not refund, but of course they have no replacement. I guess that makes the warranty void in their eyes??? Amazing logic... Shame on Dell.

6 Posts

July 8th, 2016 10:00

Currently they have said they will refund Dock but not monitor as it was from a 3rd party... Basically they have supplied us a product unfit for purpose and advised me the 4k LED would be fine with the afore mentioned product. Really leaves a bad taste, I work as a manager at an international company and have advised we seek discontinue our current relationship with DELL to seek a more trust-able and transparent supplier.

11 Posts

July 8th, 2016 13:00

Hello all, I just looked at this thread an a few others regarding the Thunderbolt problems. I just got an XPS 13 9350 and ordered the DA200(it's a USB-C 4in1 adapter) and uses the same Thunderbolt drivers as the TB15 docking station. Or at least some of the same drivers.

Anyway, I couldn't get this thing to work with my brand new XPS and I also went through the process of factory image re-install. Still won't work even with all the new drivers/firmware releases as of July 8.

Called Dell Support, reload and install all the drivers again and still the ethernet and USB won't work(haven't tried the HDMI yet). What it does is bounce on and off. Shows the ethernet as active, then dies, then back on. Does this for about 5 minutes then gives up and says can't connect USB device.

So looked at forums and found people talking about wifi interference with the thunderbolt, so I disable wifi via the action center and voila, DA200 works!!! Try enable and disable wifi a few times and every time the wifi is on, the DA200 craps out.

So maybe this is the same issue with the TB15 and that's why I'm posting to help others.

Maybe this is a temporary solution.

Give it a try. Cheers

7 Posts

July 9th, 2016 06:00

I'm not sure it's the dock. I think people are blaming the dock. I think it's the usbc port itself on the xps15 9550. Even  bypassing a dock with a simple usbc to DisplayPort cable to a 3440 x 1440 dell monitor it cuts out every few mins making that stupid port unusable. There seems to be no way to reliably use any  monitor with a 60hz refresh with this laptop as the only port capable of doing 60hz is the usbc. Will dell admit the laptop itself is useless for external monitors? Even for 1 external? Even without a clever dock?

27 Posts

July 9th, 2016 07:00

Agree.

13 Posts

July 9th, 2016 10:00

I agree too and this is worrying as I was hoping a third party dock would be ok such as the Plugable one due out.

7 Posts

July 9th, 2016 11:00

The interesting thing is I after I posted this comment, I went to dells driver page and looked to see if any new drivers by checking by date, and what do you know 3 new files to install, so just installed the latest dell 9550 firmware posted a couple of days ago on dells site, as well as the new thunderbolt firmware and software, all posted this week on the dell drivers page, and now it 'seems' my usbc is working correctly with the usbc to DisplayPort adaptor to the external screen at 60hz with no dropouts, but to  be fair it's only been 1 hour but that's at least 55 minutes longer with no cutouts then before, so I will monitor for a day or two and see. I really hope this is what we have all been waiting for as I would be very upset if I had no option  but to return it as no other laptop comes close to the xps15 at the moment. Please all all try updating to the new firmware and the new hunderbolt forward and software and respond back here how you also get on with devices connected to the usbc port. We all live in hope...

No Events found!