Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

August 4th, 2017 03:00

Tingling electrical sensation on XPS 13 and some electric shocks.

Hello dear support forums!

I recently got a new XPS 13 laptop, which is amazing!

The only thing that makes me worry is that when it is charging, the entire laptop is tingling with a kind of static electricity feeling, like a tingling all over, even when closed.

The corners of the laptop also give a small electric shock sometimes.

I am using the original adapter that came with the laptop (45w). I tried this in many sockets in various houses, and it's always the same problem.

Any solutions? And is it dangerous for the laptop inner hardware such as HD that could be ruined by this electrical issue? It is worrying.

Thank you.

August 5th, 2017 03:00

any idea?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 5th, 2017 04:00

If "recently" is within the last month, return the system for replacement - there is little sense repairing a brand new system that is defective out of the box.

August 5th, 2017 08:00

What I want to understand is if this is harmful for the inner components of the laptop. I know macbooks have this issue a lot and it's no big deal... But I never head of Dell laptops having this, and it's worrying.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 5th, 2017 10:00

It isn't normal, and should not be happening.   Essentially you're providing the ground that the system and power adapter should be.

If it happens with just one outlet, that outlet isn't properly grounded.  If it happens with all outlets, something's wrong with the system chassis and ground. Have the system replaced.

No Events found!