Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 3rd, 2017 18:00

Touch Screen has stopped working on Dell Inspiron 15R-5537

My touch screen on my Dell laptop has not been working for over a year. I cannot recall if there was a specific update/change which triggered the touch screen to stop working, however it has now been over a year and I have no idea why it isn't working. 

I have tried: 

1. Restarting laptop

2. Troubleshooting hardware and devices 

3. Disabling/enabling HID-Compliant Touch Screen driver (the driver only appears when I show hidden devices. I cannot enable it and  when I try to update it, it says it is already up to date). Also, when I click on properties for the driver , it says "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45) To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer."

4. Uninstalling/reinstalling HID-Compliant Touch Screen driver. This results in the driver being completely deleted and does not return when I restart the computer. 

I don't think I can do a restore as it stopped working so long ago, I wouldn't know what date to restore it to. 

Tablet PC Settings are also saying that "No pen or touch input is available for this display"

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

August 6th, 2017 12:00

:emotion-2:

If the touch screen still doesn't work, please find USB Input Device under the Human Interface Devices. If there are more of these, you might have to repeat it for all of them:

1. Right click USB Input Device, click Properties, and then select Power Management

2. Uncheck Allow This Computer To Turn Of This Device To Save Power, and then restart / power off system

Dell Inspiron 3048:

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

If the touch screen still doesn't work:

Installing (touch screen)drivers through Windows Update - Type Setting onto [Cortana] search box, click Update And Security, and select Check for Updates. Install any available updates and restart your computer if required. After, check if the touch screen driver appears in device manager

If the touch screen still isn't fix, I suggest you update the System Setup( BIOS). Please click on link below to safety install latest BIOS version.

Update System Setup (BIOS) for a Dell Computer (Official ... 

After installing latest BIOS version, run Guide Me option in your Dell Product Support page. The tool will detect drivers updates for your system. Please follow instructions to run Guide Me option in link below:

How to Find Drivers and Update Them (Official Dell Tech ...

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Please power off system. Remove all peripherals - Printer, flash drive, external drive, cell phone, etc..), AC adapter and battery. Press " Power On" button for about 15 seconds to release Static Flea Power. Replace battery, adapter and then power on system. Hopefully touch screen start normally.

3 Posts

August 7th, 2017 00:00

Tried this. Did not solve the issue.

3 Posts

August 7th, 2017 01:00

Tried the first solution of powering off and taking out the battery. Did not work.

Tried the second solution and updated through Windows Update. Did not work. Updated the BIOS (was already up to date but updated it again). Did not work. I then checked for updates on Dell Support. I had one driver to update which was Intel Rapid Storage Technology (Version 12.8.2.1000A01) however kept getting an error when I tried to install this. Installation wizard was saying there was already a "pending reboot for this product" which then resulted in a failed installation. I then gave up on this and tried the third solution.

I went under Human Interface Devices under Device Manager but there were no USB Input Devices listed. I then selected 'Show hidden devices" under 'View' and 5 appeared. However, they didn't have a tab for 'Power Management' under Properties.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

August 8th, 2017 20:00

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

"Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code45)To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer."

If none of the troubleshooting steps fix the touchscreen, I suggest you reseat the touch screen / display cable. Note: Please do this step only if you're comfortable in opening the computer. Read the owner's manual thoroughly before attempting this step. 

Support for Inspiron 15R 5537 | Manuals & documents | Dell US

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

.....and watch video and pictures in link below to get a better sense of reseating the display cable:

Dell Inspiron 15R (5537) LCD Display Assembly Removal and ...

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Lastly,

If you aren't comfortable in opening computer, I suggest contacting Dell Technical Support for further assistance in the link below:

Contact Information | Dell US

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

August 14th, 2017 06:00

Any updates amara98 ? You were able to fix the touch screen or contact Dell Technical Support ?

No Events found!