Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 21st, 2017 07:00

Touch Screen on Inspiron 13 - 5378 not working

Inspiron 13-5378  2 in 1. 8 gb RAM, 1tb hard drive. Received this laptop yesterday 1-20-17. Touch screen didn't work. I disabled the touch screen driver, rebooted then enabled the touch screen driver and it worked for a while. While installing software it stopped. tried several things including uninstalling the video driver. i downloaded the video driver from the Dell web site, installed it and the touch screen worked. I shut the laptop down and when i booted up this morning the touch screen was not working. Tried disabling the touch screen driver, rebooting and enabling it again. no luck. I then tried to reinstall the video driver, also no luck. can someone help or do I need to return?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 21st, 2017 12:00

Since no one from Dell has shown up yet, I will share my experience.  A couple of years ago I got a system with the Nvidia and Intel Display Adapters.  I noticed the Nvidia one would lose it drivers and would disappear from the Device Manager.  

The device was intermittent, although basically unusable, for a couple of months and then finally completely failed.  

If something is not dependable possibly the system is losing contact with the device.  Maybe it is only a connection problem or something worse, but at the very least I would start a conversation with support.  

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 22nd, 2017 05:00

rbvancamp wrote: "Received this laptop yesterday 1-20-17"

:emotion-2:

I'd suggest you check for all latest windows updates are installed on system. Please type Settings onto search box[Cortana], Update &Security, and then select Check for updates. Install any available updates and restart system if required. Please don't wait later to update, click on Restart Now. After you installed some of windows updates then do the steps again until all latest updates are installed.  

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 22nd, 2017 06:00

Method 3

Update the System Setup(BIOS) and see if that will make a difference. Please click on link below to safety install latest BIOS version.

Update System Setup (BIOS) for a Dell Computer (Official ...

After you updated BIOS, I suggest you update Chipset, Firmware and Video drivers in correct[Installation] order. Please click on link below:

How to reinstall drivers in the correct order | Dell US

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 22nd, 2017 06:00

If touch screen still isn't fix,....

Type Troubleshooting Control Panel onto search box, click 'View All', and then Hardware & Devices. Please click on the other tools as mark in the image below:

No Events found!