Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 30th, 2013 20:00

TouchGuard - and the pointer from XXXX.

I have used Dell computers with TouchPads since 2001 or so, and NEVER have I had an issue like this.  CONSTANTLY, while typing, the cursor selects all oft or part of my text and highlights and deletes it or part of it.  I am a FAST typer, so it is even MORE pronounced.  Just typing this much has been agony.  So, I need to adjust the settings, BUT, WHICH WAY? The palmguard thing - do I want it in the middle, the left or the right? Supposedly simple, yet I cannot  figure  it out.  I am very careful to not let my palms touch the pad, but that doesn't seem to matter!

SO, do I want it more to the left or to the right? Hovering over the i doesn't TELL ME!

Thank you, in advance! 

1 Message

April 21st, 2013 03:00

I have exactly the same question.

What is the meaning of + or -??

TouchGuard is supposed to prevent accidental "touchpad" actions while typing, and thus "+" suggests a "stronger guard effect", but it is not clear at all.

Anyone?

2 Posts

April 25th, 2013 08:00

I also have this question and can't find an answer. I thought it might affect the timing, where touches are ignored for some amount of time following keyboard input, or sensitivity of touches, but I can't tell the difference for either of these regardless of setting. I have concluded Touchguard is a placebo!

Is anyone at Dell monitoring these forums? This seems a simple question to answer...

1 Message

May 6th, 2013 10:00

May 6, 2013 - I too have the identical problem with my M4600 laptop which uses the Alps Electric touchpad driver (7.1208.101.125_a11).  I have a workaround when I use an external USB mouse and turn OFF the Dell Touchpad altogether (see the Win 7 Control Panel). Without the touchpad, I am back to being a reasonably accurate typist.  However, I take my M4600 under my arm to meetings at work.  It is a hassle to have to carry my mouse also, as I need a computer briefcase to carry everything, plus my documents, a cup of coffee, etc. needed for the meetings.  I also agree that the touchpad seems to be randomly adding several "second functions" to the keypad, even if I am careful not to actually touch the pad or left-center-right keys - is this gesture recognition or just magic? The M4600 has L-C-R keys above AND below the touch pad. I really wish I could turn off the upper keys that are very close to the spacebar, separately from the lower L-C-R keys and the touchpad.

Dell Technical Support really needs to get into the game here!

2 Posts

May 8th, 2013 06:00

I now use the function keys to disable/enable the touchpad, quick and easy. I keep the touchpad disabled when using a mouse (manually, since the auto setting didn't work with my bluetooth mouse). When typing without a mouse, I also keep the touchpad disabled and use the mouse stick. When not entering data (e.g. reading/talking/presenting), I enable the touchpad. Once I learned to enable/disable via the function keys, it was much less trouble to toggle on/off as needed.

1 Message

May 21st, 2013 15:00

Move the slider to extreme right + (high touchguard). It significantly reduced the sensitivity and solved the problem for me.  The mouse will not jump as much as it would if you had it in the middle which is the default.

May 21st, 2013 15:00

You're awesome, Roy!

This touchpad issue sucks -- I've been using laptops like in this way for nearly ten years, and have never had a problem with my palm accidentally hitting the touchpad before. I enabled TouchGuard, at both highest and lowest settings, and I saw no difference. I had resigned myself to disabling the touchpad when I'm at my docking station, but going to the Touchpad properties is a pain (particularly when trying to re-enable when I'm away from my docking station; I have zero experience with pointer sticks and keep my mouse at highest speed setting, so I'm all over the place with the pointer stick).

I was frustrated that there's no hardware button for turnng off the touchpad (although those suck, too; once every now and again I accidentally hit the button on my home Compaq and think my touchpad has died until I remember about it), and no right-click on the Dell Touchpad system tray icon. Hadn't thought to check out the function keys. A great workaround to crappy hardware execution by Dell!

2 Posts

September 17th, 2014 12:00

Tape a business card (or possibly 2 stacked) over the touchpad.  Sensitivity reduced, but still works.  Problem solved.

1 Message

October 3rd, 2014 15:00

There is a solution that turns off the touchpad when a USB mouse is plugged in.  On the Dell Touchpad screen under the Control Panel, click on the mouse and then check the Disable Touchpad & Pointstick when USB Mouse present.

[View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/3518/2766.TouchPad.pdf:550:0]

June 17th, 2015 03:00

On your machine there, should be a folder called DellTPad, most likely in the C:\Program Files\ folder. In that folder is an application (.exe) file called DellTPad.exe.

Run (double-click) DellTPad.exe and the Dell TouchPad settings window will appear.

From this window, you can make all kinds of changes, like disabling the scroll/zoom/circular scroll, adjusting pad sensitivity, swapping buttons, completely disabling the TouchPad, etc. One especially cool feature I like is the ability to disable the TouchPad when a USB mouse is present. The TouchPad is there when you need it, gone when you don’t!

Or just read through this: geekswithblogs.net/.../dell-touchpad--enablingdisabling.aspx

1 Message

November 9th, 2015 23:00

The "-" makes the touchpad more sensitive to incidental touch.  The "+" makes the touchpad less sensitive to incidental touch.

I was testing this and found I was annoyed when the setting was all the way to the "+" side of the setting.

Here is what I found---at the max "+" setting, after performing any keyboard input, the touchpad doesn't respond right away.  From what I can tell, it isn't so much a touch sensitivity adjustment but rather a length of time that any "touching" on the touch pad will be ignored after typing.

So, at the lowest sensitivity level "-", the mouse seems to responds immediately after using the keyboard.  At the highest sensitivity level "+", the touchpad takes about 2 plus seconds to respond...which is actually annoying to me.

I suppose that is one simple way to do it.  I was thinking that there might be some intelligence programming that detects erratic touchpad "touching".  It is really just a delay in response or in the 'reactivation' of the touchpad---just depends on how you want to look at it.

You have to test it yourself, make a change, save it (don't need to close the touchpad settings window) and try it out.  I found that the top 1/4 (towards the + sign) seems to be a more dramatic change in response time.  From the halfway point to the "-", I can barely tell a difference.

Hope that helps

1 Message

April 6th, 2016 00:00

I have a brand new latitude7450... and this disable-enable-touchpad function button is REMOVED! :) (There are two useless function and F7 has no function... so i do not understand why?)

And the best trick is that when I use docker touchpad become twice sensible, and not able to set different sensitivity to tuchpad and mouse. :(

I'm very disappointed about its input interface... it is planned to that managers that just uses only mouse to click from one youtube video to another...

No Events found!