Highlighted
Hschmidty
1 Nickel

Touchpad gestures/scrolling/pointer not working after windows 8.1 update on Dell Inspiron 11 3137

Jump to solution

Just got a brand new laptop, Dell Inspiron 11 3137, and updated to windows 8.1. The touchpad does not work properly now; gestures/scrolling/pointer not working. I've spent over 16 hours getting windows 8.1 installed and then troubleshooting this issue. I've contacted Dell; updated the driver from Dell, even tried installing the latest driver from Synaptic. I even tried setting the Synaptic app to run under the windows 8 version. 

Touchpads have been around a long time. It's the last thing I expect not to work properly.

At this point I am ready to send the laptop back and call it quits on windows.

Can anybody help with this?

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
N7U
3 Silver

RE: Touchpad gestures/scrolling/pointer not working after windows 8.1 update on Dell Inspiron 11 3137

Jump to solution

Hi,

SO, You're having problems with 8.1 and the Synaptics Dell Touchpad!? I wish I could say I've never seen this before. I won't open up with "Have you tried this?" Instead, I'm confident this will "fix what ails ya"  There have been a wealth of problems with touchpads (Alps included) and not just on Dell systems, during the transition from windows 8 to 8.1 (I still can't figure out why they didn't just call it SP1) IN ANY EVENT> give this a go and please get back to me after you've done it so I can share with others who are experiencing the same problem. I'll explain WHY these steps at the end...Go ahead peek ...I won't tell anyone! 

Locate the current driver for your touchpad from  Dell Support by entering your service tag number here:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriversHome/ShowProductSelector?fkey=Drivers_PS

SAVE the download to somewhere convenient like your desktop (you can put it somewhere else later)

1) From the control panel under Programs / Uninstall a Program locate the Synaptics Pointing Device Driver and completely uninstall the software.  but DO NOT RESTART if prompted. Instead select the restart later option.

2) From the control panel under Hardware and Sound locate the Device Manager in the Devices and Printers category and click on it (device manager may require admin permission.) 

3) Locate Mice and other Pointing Devices and click to expand. You may see the Synaptics PS/2 port touch pad still there. If so right click and select Uninstall. okay the warnings. when prompted to restart use the TAB key on your keyboard to highlight the restart option and then press the Enter Key on keyboard.

**After you have restarted, the touchpad will operate with limited functionality, without gestures and preference settings. THATS PERFECT for now.

4) Repeat steps 1,2 &3 BUT THIS TIME, Select the mouse that's listed there...probably  HID compliant mouse.  Restart computer as in step 3

5) Windows will automatically "discover" new hardware and install it for HID Compliant Mouse on PS/2 port so the touchpad is back to it's limited state. THATS what we want! 

6) Double click on your downloaded Synaptics Dell Touchpad driver and install. 

IMPORTANT NOTE: if your driver does not launch immediately after expanding locate the "setup.exe" This will be located in C:\Dell\Drivers\(5 digit alpha numeric identifier of your software)\ setup.exe. Restart normally if prompted. That's it! emoticon.BigSmile.title

HERE"S WHY:

Whenever a SP or major upgrade to Windows is conducted the original operating system is fundamentally changed. One would hope driver support for the upgrade or SP would be automatic and in most cases it IS either automatic or available as an update. You should always use your My Dell program utility as your FIRST resource for updates to Dell products. Microsoft Windows Update only offers security and system-critical  driver updates and usually only when the original manufacturer has stopped supporting a product.

The device driver (Dell device driver in this case) Installs to it's operating system and system configuration...which is why one driver works on multiple  configurations. This procedure allows the driver install package a "fresh look" at the OS and system so in most cases resolves driver problems when the drivers aren't rendered completely obsolete by an update.   If this solution resolves your touchpad issue please drop a quick note. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks and Good Luck!

Dell™ Community Forum since 2013

Not employed by Dell™

Wabster
1 Copper

RE: Touchpad gestures/scrolling/pointer not working after windows 8.1 update on Dell Inspiron 11 3137

Jump to solution

N7U: Great post. I've just gotten around to searching for a solution to my XPS 12 dropping touchpad gestures immediately after a "fast" boot when I found your suggestion. The touchpad would work fine with a full reboot. I tried your solution and so far so good! Really grateful for your post. This problem, albeit minor, was driving me nuts for the past year. Didn't bother with the hassle of contacting Dell, and more than likely they would not have had the answer. Thanks again!!

0 Kudos
manishrestha9
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I had dell technician come fix my Dell laptop touch pad twice and it never got fixed but your advice has fixed the problem...you are a genius...thanks a lot 🙂 ... and Dell you people should really think about this touch pad problem and fix it asap

0 Kudos
310 Replies
mrtrusty
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I also have similar problem with touchpad in Dell inspiron 11 3137. This is definitely driver problem, it works as soon as I start the computer, after a while two finger scroll stops working, single finger tap stops working. its very annoying. I expected better quality control from Dell.

Hschmidty
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Can you go to the task manager and check the processes for Synaptics touchpad 64-bit?
  My first issue was that after a while the touchpad would not work anymore. Touchs, gestures, scrolling would not work.
I could see the process for the "Synaptics touchpad 64-bit" using 8 to 10% of the CPU when I wasn't even touching it.
My second issue was that after I disabled all of the touchpad settings in the Dell Touchpad Properties, the CPU usage of the "Synaptics touchpad 64-bit" would jump above 25%.
I went to Best Buy the other day, and saw that they are now carrying this model as the Inspiron 11 3135 with an AMD processor. I tried the touchpad on the display model, and experienced the same issues.

I suspect that the Dell Synaptic driver was not properly tested on this model.

I ended up sending the laptops (I tried a replacement) back to Amazon.

N7U
3 Silver

Jump to solution

Hi,

SO, You're having problems with 8.1 and the Synaptics Dell Touchpad!? I wish I could say I've never seen this before. I won't open up with "Have you tried this?" Instead, I'm confident this will "fix what ails ya"  There have been a wealth of problems with touchpads (Alps included) and not just on Dell systems, during the transition from windows 8 to 8.1 (I still can't figure out why they didn't just call it SP1) IN ANY EVENT> give this a go and please get back to me after you've done it so I can share with others who are experiencing the same problem. I'll explain WHY these steps at the end...Go ahead peek ...I won't tell anyone! 

Locate the current driver for your touchpad from  Dell Support by entering your service tag number here:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriversHome/ShowProductSelector?fkey=Drivers_PS

SAVE the download to somewhere convenient like your desktop (you can put it somewhere else later)

1) From the control panel under Programs / Uninstall a Program locate the Synaptics Pointing Device Driver and completely uninstall the software.  but DO NOT RESTART if prompted. Instead select the restart later option.

2) From the control panel under Hardware and Sound locate the Device Manager in the Devices and Printers category and click on it (device manager may require admin permission.) 

3) Locate Mice and other Pointing Devices and click to expand. You may see the Synaptics PS/2 port touch pad still there. If so right click and select Uninstall. okay the warnings. when prompted to restart use the TAB key on your keyboard to highlight the restart option and then press the Enter Key on keyboard.

**After you have restarted, the touchpad will operate with limited functionality, without gestures and preference settings. THATS PERFECT for now.

4) Repeat steps 1,2 &3 BUT THIS TIME, Select the mouse that's listed there...probably  HID compliant mouse.  Restart computer as in step 3

5) Windows will automatically "discover" new hardware and install it for HID Compliant Mouse on PS/2 port so the touchpad is back to it's limited state. THATS what we want! 

6) Double click on your downloaded Synaptics Dell Touchpad driver and install. 

IMPORTANT NOTE: if your driver does not launch immediately after expanding locate the "setup.exe" This will be located in C:\Dell\Drivers\(5 digit alpha numeric identifier of your software)\ setup.exe. Restart normally if prompted. That's it! emoticon.BigSmile.title

HERE"S WHY:

Whenever a SP or major upgrade to Windows is conducted the original operating system is fundamentally changed. One would hope driver support for the upgrade or SP would be automatic and in most cases it IS either automatic or available as an update. You should always use your My Dell program utility as your FIRST resource for updates to Dell products. Microsoft Windows Update only offers security and system-critical  driver updates and usually only when the original manufacturer has stopped supporting a product.

The device driver (Dell device driver in this case) Installs to it's operating system and system configuration...which is why one driver works on multiple  configurations. This procedure allows the driver install package a "fresh look" at the OS and system so in most cases resolves driver problems when the drivers aren't rendered completely obsolete by an update.   If this solution resolves your touchpad issue please drop a quick note. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks and Good Luck!

Not employed by Dell™

mrtrusty
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for these steps. But, I am having problem with Windows 8.0 not 8.1. I am having the problems I mentioned earlier even before I upgrade to 8.1. I am pretty sure this is half baked drivers released by Dell/Synaptics without testing.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Hschmidty
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hello n7u,

I spent over 40 hours doing these steps - uninstalling, reinstalling, etc. And none of them fixed this issue on the Inspiron 11 3137. I even restored the laptop back to windows 8. The touchpad issue continued.

The replacement laptop I received presented the same problem. Dell tech support could not fix the issue either.

When I turned the touchpad settings off in the Dell Synaptics properties, the CPU usage jumped to 25%. It did this in both Win 8 and Win 8.1. This made no sense. Even when the touchpad settings were turned on and I wasn't touching the touchpad, the CPU usage of the touchpad hovered around 8% to 10%.

It's too bad because I really liked the form factor of the Inspiron 11 3137. Even if you don't use the touchpad, I'm not sure I could recommend this product because the touchpad software will continually consume CPU. I guess you could uninstall the Dell Synaptics drivers completely.

0 Kudos
anthonykash
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Anyone have a fix for this? Seems even with the generic microsoft driver I'm still having trouble. This is my second one, I returned the first one.

0 Kudos
N7U
3 Silver

Jump to solution

Just to be sure before I take this back to the Dell Rockstar Team and / or Dell that CPU usage mentioned is from the following sources.

Not employed by Dell™

0 Kudos
anthonykash
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Try the first one on the page I liked below. It's dell signed synaptics driver 17.0.15.8 and for the past 5 hours it has worked great for me.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/driverdetails?driverid=FYM0V

0 Kudos
mrtrusty
1 Copper

Jump to solution

@anthonykash Before I try this driver, I wanted to confirm with you that you tried this driver with Dell Inspiron 11 3137. I am asking this because the page you linked to says its touchpad driver for "XPS15 9530".

Thanks

0 Kudos