N7U
3 Silver

RE: Touchpad gestures/scrolling/pointer not working after windows 8.1 update on Dell Inspiron 11 3137

Jump to solution

Hi MrTrusty,

The answer to your question "Should I uninstall old driver before installing new driver?" is yes, particularly in this instance where the original driver is being replaced by an entirely different driver vs. different version of same driver. Also NOTE: Although this worked for some, whether or not this quick fix works for you is up for grabs, depending on your model and it's compatibility with the drivers that are found mentioned in this thread. I recommend you do the following

• Make a note of the driver version you are uninstalling. and download a copy of that driver
  • Download the new driver and put BOTH driver installer files somewhere easy to locate, like your desktop. You can put it somewhere else later if you need to keep the installers.
  • Uninstall the current driver for your touchpad. 
  • Restart your computer
  • Install the new driver
  • Restart your computer

If the driver fails to install, you still have a copy of the original...not that you want it. If the driver doesn't install properly or doesn't function as it should, make sure to uninstall it if it's showing up in Programs and Features from Control Panel. AFTER you've completed this process the worst case scenario is you'll have a touchpad that functions but without scolling and gestures and other features (it will think it's a mouse) Good Luck and if you need any further assistance don't hesitate to contact.

Dell™ Community Forum since 2013

Not employed by Dell™

0 Kudos
anthonykash
1 Nickel

RE: Touchpad gestures/scrolling/pointer not working after windows 8.1 update on Dell Inspiron 11 3137

Jump to solution

Anyone find a newer version? Yes you want to do what n7u said. I'm on the  3137 model FYI. Seems to work the best for me, but still tweaks out from time to time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
N7U
3 Silver

Jump to solution

Hi Everyone,

I just had a revalation about this driver. Lots of drivers are DEPENDANT on JAVA!  Especially for peripherals like...lets say ...a touchpad. Just for the sake of ruling it out will one of you PLEASE send me an update after you get the updated JAVA Runtime from the link below.. You may have to follow the steps I listed in the original post after Java is installed,  which by now should be a walk in the park. Let me know how it goes...At this point folks..you're helping me! Thanks for stickin with it! Anthony I suspect you might also be able to help some of these members if you'd like to. Seems you're on top of this issue. HEAR FROM YOU SOON! 

http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp

Dell™ Community Forum since 2013

Not employed by Dell™

0 Kudos
anthonykash
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

FYI they did release a bios update to A05 back on 01/10/14 . I just installed it and  I'll keep peeps posted. I'm also on the latest java, have been since day one. Let's get this thing figured out. thanks  n7u

0 Kudos
Hschmidty
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

This is just ridiculous.

Shouldn't DELL be fixing this issue? Shouldn't DELL properly test their hardware and software before they release it for sale? I spent over 40 hours uninstalling, installing, restarting this driver and that driver, windows 8.1 and then windows 8....... talking to two different Dell support persons. This is nonsense.

I returned the two 3137 laptops to Amazon and got the ASUS X102BA.  You know what... the touchpad works perfectly on the ASUS X102BA.

0 Kudos
anthonykash
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I understand you completely. I wish I could return my two 3138's. between this, the desktop they sent a friend with a broken keyboard and sending me a venue 11 pro keyboard that was busted I'm all done with dell. I used to  only buy them and recommend them to everyone, not anymore.

0 Kudos
mrtrusty
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I installed new driver and latest java. It is still flacky. Till I had windows 8.0 it works almost flawless, once I upgraded to 8.1 everything broke and now I have worst touchpad I have evver used.

Thanks

Premnath Sah T. H.

0 Kudos
mrtrusty
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I installed new driver only after I upgraded to 8.1

0 Kudos
Mr. Fox
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

Suggestions...

If you have Secure Boot enabled and have the ability to turn that off in the BIOS, do so and set it for the Legacy Option ROM instead.

Restart Windows 8/8.1 with Driver Signature Enforcement temporarily disabled, then reinstall the Synaptics driver. This may resolve the issues. A few iterations of Synaptics drivers had signature problems and may not install correctly with DSE enabled, and some drivers do not perform well with Secure Boot enabled.

Also check in Device Manager properties with the stock Dell driver installed to be sure your touchpad is actually a Synaptics device and not an Alps touchpad. Alps touchpads don't function as intended with Synaptics drivers.

ALIENKILLER II // EVOC P870DM3
7700K @ 5.2GHz ● GTX 1080 SLI ● 17.3" QHD 120Hz G-Sync ● 64GB DDR4-3200 ● 780W AC Adapter

EL CUCUY // EUROCOM TORNADO F5
7700K @ 5.0GHz ● GTX 1080 ● 15.6" FHD 120Hz ● 32GB DDR4-3000 ● 330W AC Adapter

0 Kudos
anthonykash
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I already did that and  the installer says the generic driver by synaptic installed, but it doesn't copy over. For whatever reason I have only been able to get the dell signed synaptic drivers to install properly like everyone else. Not sure what  the problem is, but I'm never buying another dell again. It's a shame, I've been loyal for 20 years now.

0 Kudos