Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 23rd, 2014 14:00

Touchpad not disabling in tablet mode- Inspiron 11 3000 series

When I fold the screen back and use the laptop in "tablet mode", the keyboard automatically get disabled but the touchpad does not. I have tried looking in the mouse and touchpad settings to no avail and it is very frustrating!

7 Posts

September 8th, 2014 09:00

I had the same problem with the Inspiron 11 3147 2-in-1 and discovered that it was because a program called Quickset was not running on start up. QuickSet is responsible for this icon in the task manager that alerts you when the keyboard is locked and unlocked. Evidently, it is also responsible for locking the trackpad when the swivel hinge exceeds 180 degrees. You can check to see if you have it by clicking the arrow on the task manager icons, clicking customize, and scrolling through the icons. There should be one there called QuickSet that says "Keyboard Unlocked."

Even if it is there, just to make sure its installed properly, go to the drivers page here: 

Inspiron 3147 Drivers

Under "Applications (3 Files)," download "Dell QuickSet Application (14 MB)." Run this installer and it should ask you if you want to install, repair, or remove the program (assuming QuickSet was already installed). In this case, use the "repair" installation option. If QuickSet is not already installed, it will ask you if you just want to install. 

After the installation. the QuickSet icon should now be visible in the taskbar (click on the small arrow to show all icons if necessary) and should be locking the trackpad in tablet mode.

To make sure QuickSet runs on start up, go to task manager (CTRL + SHIFT + ESC or just search for "Task Manager" in the charms bar). Hit "More details" and go to the "Startup" tab. QuickSet should be listed among the programs that you can choose to run on start up. Make sure it is enabled by clicking it and then hitting the "Enable" button on the bottom right.

UPDATE: As Pam C has mentioned, the IC2 controller that you can grab from the drivers download page appears to be important in the proper functioning of the touchpad. If you have problems with the touchpad not disabling, I'd definitely recommend installing the IC2 controller as well as the touchpad driver and QuickSet program. When I was installing all the Dell drivers after doing a clean install of Windows 8.1 (was upgrading the HDD to an SSD) on the 3147, the proper functioning of the touchpad and the appearance of the Dell touchpad options in the taskbar appeared to have coincided not just with the installation of the touchpad drivers, but also with the installation of the IC2 controller.

51 Posts

December 3rd, 2014 10:00

Well Dell's not paying me to post this (but they should), some solutions to the Touchpad "auto-lock" problem (and more) HERE (notebook review owners site).

1 Message

September 15th, 2014 16:00

I have the same problem with the 3147. In tablet mode the touchpad stays active even though Quickset is configured to automatically lock the keyboard and touchpad. Keyboard lock seems to work.

I am running Windows 8.1 Update with the following driver versions: 3147_Input_Driver_CGF99_WN_18.1.2.3_A00 and 3147_Application_MM05K_WN_11.1.21_A00.

I've confirmed that Quickset is running in startup via Task Manager. I can access Quickset through the Windows taskbar icon tray.

1 Message

October 15th, 2014 09:00

I have a Dell Inspiron 11, 3000 Series laptop and am having the same issue. I have the latest Quickset installed and it runs on start up.

When I transition into tablet mode, the keyboard locks, the trackpad does not.

Is there a fix in the works?

7 Posts

October 15th, 2014 10:00

Odd. On a related note, I noticed that my quickset no longer has that keyboard icon in the taskbar. In fact right now it doesn't even show up in my task bar. I went to the Quickset.exe in Program Files --> Dell --> Quickset and what I get is "Windows Mobility Center" shown below.

Only thing I can think of is to make sure your Keyboard properties are like they are above and install the latest Windows updates.

2 Posts

January 20th, 2015 22:00

Hi, I just want to say thank you for your instructions. It worked and was very intuitive. I followed your instructions only to have my mouse disappear in tablet mode. I then enabled the settings in the TM and it works! Just wanted to say that you are awesome! LISTEN TO THIS ^^GUY^^ IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS!!!!

2 Posts

February 3rd, 2015 08:00

try downloading the driver again and make sure you reboot. now this does work but afterwards i have experienced some issues with it happening  again. i scheduled my auto updates and signed up for dells driver updates. hope that helps , good luck!

1 Message

February 3rd, 2015 08:00

I followed this exactly, have quickset running and it shows that it's disabled the keyboard, but the trackpad still functions when in tablet position. It is on the startup list. What should I do?

3 Posts

March 24th, 2015 15:00

I had this issue with a 3147 purchased from the Dell Outlet. I spent two hours on the phone with tech support, who eventually told me I needed a new motherboard and sensors. I did a little digging and found this site http://rangerharke.com/2014/12/26/notes-on-inspiron-11-3147/ which neatly summarizes the recommended post on the notebookreview site. I made sure I had all the drivers downloaded onto my desktop so I could easily find and install them before I started, then followed the instructions step by step. It worked great, and the key for me was the I2C controller-- I'd tried deleting and re-installing the touchpad and quickset drivers on their own and it failed every time.

FWIW, tech support said it was impossible for a driver update to fix my problem, but if you read the notebookreview forum thread there is a great explanation for WHY the I2C controller causes this failure.

The fix took me about 15 minutes and I wish I'd tried it prior to losing two hours of my life with tech support!

Best of luck!

3 Posts

March 25th, 2015 16:00

Coming back to say the fix worked for a whopping 24 hours, and my computer is back to the same thing. No touchpad functionality, no auto-locking. The Dell touchpad is still there in my device manager but when I click on the link to adjust settings nothing happens.

So disappointed.

2 Posts

May 19th, 2015 17:00

I had same problem, keyboard but not touchpad auto-locking in tablet mode, which went bad after an update.  I  tried all the fixes listed above without success, including Quickset.  I noticed a thing called i2c controller had a yellow exclamation mark in Device Manger- System devices. Downloading its latest driver didn't help.  But I found a tip in another forum, went into Device Manger-i2c controller- driver,   and Rolled Back the driver.  This changed it back to 2013 driver, and it works perfectly again.

1 Message

May 28th, 2017 11:00

Seemed to have solved my problem with the same laptop.  I had thought it was a touchpad or touch screen problem, maybe even a Windows 10 issue, and tried driver updates, on-line suggestions without any success -- until I found this solution.  Thank you for your knowledge.

No Events found!