Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 2nd, 2017 14:00

Touchpad not supported on Latitude 5580 Windows 7 ?

On 2 brand new Latitude 5580, the touchpad is not available under Windows 7 x64.
It's not listed in device manager. It works fine in the bios screen and in Windows PE.

On the Dell driver page, all drivers are available for window 7 except the touchpad one. Strange!

Tried the latest and the previous bios version. Legacy and Uefi boot.

At a certain moment after reinstalling various chipset, etc drivers at once one unknown device appears in device manager. If I look at the properties I see ACPI/DLL07A8

When I google on that, I got one result from a suspicious driver sites which listed it part of Alps touchpad?

I checked various alp drivers from the dell site, bit the inf file is missing the DLL07A8 model, so driver is not installed.

At the general tab of the device, I see Serial IO L2C host controller. What is this? Is touchpad making use of this controller?

I hope to hear if someone got an idea, or DELL could fix this with an update?

1 Message

June 9th, 2017 13:00

it's not 'touchpad driver' problem. that 'driver' just add several features like multi-touch scroll etc

seems touchpad is connected via new interface. you should install serial-io driver first

www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 3rd, 2017 05:00

Windows 7 is not supported at all on these systems, which use seventh-generation Kaby Lake CPUs.

www.dell.com/.../microsoft-windows-operating-system-support-for-intel-kaby-lake-processors

Only WIndows 10 is supported -- and even if you can find the drivers, Microsoft has blocked Windows 7 and 8 updates on Kaby Lake systems, so you won't be able to run Windows updates on them.

As of this generation, you have two choices:

Standardize on Windows 10, or

Continue buying older hardware if you must run Windows 7.  

The seventh generation CPUs are the end of the road for Windows earlier than 10.

23 Posts

May 3rd, 2017 11:00

Hi, thanks for your reply and information. We are planning to migrate to W10 at the end of the year.  I have successfully run windows update! Everything is working except the touchpad.

On the link you posted is written "Del Precision, Latitude and OptiPlex models launching in 2017 will have Skylake processor options that allow for Windows 7 and 8.1 support through the end of Intel Skylake support."

So that sounds like it should be no issue? confusing.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 3rd, 2017 14:00

It isn't an issue if you chose a system with a Skylake CPU (6th generation).  If you have a 7th-generation - looks like all of these models do, it's an issue.

You will see Windows Update cut off - Microsoft has been implementing that since Kaby Lake was released.  If you can't run Windows 10 on this now, return it for a system with a 6th generation CPU or you will be facing a support nightmare when the "windows update does not support this platform" message appears at update time (it may not have yet, but it will ... very shortly).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4012982/the-processor-is-not-supported-together-with-the-windows-version-that-

23 Posts

May 4th, 2017 03:00

Are these updates also blocked in a corporate network with SCCM?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 4th, 2017 04:00

They can probably be pushed -- for now.  I wouldn't bank on that lasting indefinitely - Microsoft (along with all the major manufacturer - Dell, Lenovo, HP, Acer, Toshiba, etc.) are emphatically denying support for Windows 7 on anything with an Intel Kaby Lake or AMD Ryzen CPU.

Unless you are a gambler, I would heed that warning - particularly if you support more than one of these systems.  They could easily become a nightmare to support.  

The end of the road for Windows 7 is here - if you MUST run it, you need Skylake or earlier CPUs.

*Addendum -- quick search says people are trying and failing to install and keep 7 running through SCCM on Kaby Lake -- there's your answer.

3 Posts

June 5th, 2017 11:00

I have a brand new Latitude 5580 with an Intel i5 6200U (6th generation Skylake) processor and I have this same problem. Device manager shows the ALPS HID device, as well as two HID-compliant mouse devices, but the touchpad still does not work.

So it's not the whole Kadylake issue, it's something to do with this touchpad and Windows 7.

I don't see a function key to turn the touchpad on or off, equally I don't see a physical button anywhere that would do it.

I am on the latest BIOS, all drivers are up to date, so I'm not sure what's up with this.

3 Posts

June 6th, 2017 08:00

This is the exact same driver as the Windows 10 one, and in fact it says WIN_10 in the filename.

The Dell Deploy driver CAB pack for the 5580 actually has a newer version of the Windows 7 driver in it already. The issue is not that the driver doesn't install, it shows up just fine. I tried the package noted above and it did not change anything except to install an older version of the driver. Still no response from the touchpad, eraser mouse, or any of the 5 buttons.

The only conclusion I can come to here is that there is a kill switch in that driver for any computer running Windows 7.  The driver installs, the device is listed as working properly, but there is no response from the device. The second I install windows 10, with the same driver, it works perfectly.

Microsoft is bad enough with the whole trying to force Enterprise to upgrade to Windows 10, Dell does not need to get into the fray with this kind of stupidity.

23 Posts

June 6th, 2017 08:00

I just see that Dell has added a W7 driver. Curious if that fixes the issue.

downloads.dell.com/.../Dell-Touchpad-Driver_94HPR_WIN_10.2207.101.114_A02.EXE

3 Posts

June 12th, 2017 15:00

Well, that did it. Now why is that driver not included in the Command Deploy CAB for the 5580 or the 7280? Guess someone needs to get a new version out there.

Thanks wgoffman.

1 Message

September 29th, 2017 08:00

Wqoffman is correct, but for me i was also missing something else.  Nothing was missing in Device Manager on my Windows 7 Enterprise machine, but it was missing the Intel Serial IO Driver and the Intel USB eXtensible Host Controller Driver.  I was building a Task Sequence for new Dell models we have not used before.  The other 2 Dell Lattitude 5480 and 7480 worked fine, but this unit needed a third driver I was unaware it was missing.  For my Task sequence I installed the Serial IO Driver, restarted Task Sequence, then installed the eXtensible Host Controller, then the Touchpad and it worked fine.  The restart may not be needed, I will be testing that next and removing if it is unneeded.  I just wanted to share since I have been working on this for days.  I am rather new to Packing applications so I was trying everything and looking online and no one had the exact solution so I wanted to post this.  Unfortunately it seems that it was my fault for not have the Host Controller installed, but again Device Manager showed no missing driver.  Hope this helps someone.  

Thanks,

z7rlp0

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 29th, 2017 12:00

It's possible that newer systems (or even different revs of the same system) have put the touchpad on a USB 3.0 controller, which would explain why you needed the USB xHCI driver.  However, you would want that anyway since without it, USB 3.0 ports on the system would at best run at 2.0 speeds and more typically not work at all -- in fact some systems (not sure about Dell) now even put their USB 2.0 ports on an xHCI controller, so without that driver you wouldn't have any working USB ports/devices at all.  This is partly why I ended up just injecting the most popular Win7 USB 3.0 drivers (Intel, Renesas, and VIA) into my Windows 7 ISO, along with the two hotfixes that enable native NVMe support.  If you want to do this, make sure to do so into both the boot.wim and install.wim files, all indexes of both.  Then you can end up with slightly smaller files if you export those into new WIM files.

No Events found!