Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 15th, 2017 17:00

Touchpad works but Dell software does not

I installed Windows 7 on my wife's Inspiron 11 3157. The touchpad works with Windows stanrdard PS2 driver. I wanted to use the Dell Touchpad Software to increase the required touch pressure and add palm rejection. 

I downloaded the drivers listed on the 3157 driver page (link). The drivers installer said that Synaptics Drivers were installed successfully, but the touchpad still shows as a PS2 mouse (even after a restart). Also, the Dell Touchpad Software was not installed, but I did find it in the unpacked driver directory. When I lauch the Dell Touchpad Software, I am able to increase the touch pressure and add palm rejection, BUT is does not save or effect the behavior of the touch pad.

I have also downloaded and installed Dell Multi-Touch Touchpad Driver (link). I have the same problem as with the Synaptics drivers. The drivers installer said that Alps Drivers were installed successfully, but the touchpad still shows as a PS2 mouse (even after a restart) and the Dell Software does not work.

Lastly, I downloaded Dell Touchpad / Pointing Stick (link). The driver installer says the drivers were installed correctly and the touchpad now shows as a "Dell Touchpad" in the device manager. However, the dell Touchpad Software was not installed. Navigating to the driver unpack directory, I find the Dell Touchpad Software, but when I click on it nothing happens.

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated!

~Brett

For reference, this is the Dell Touchpad Software:

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 16th, 2017 07:00

:emotion-2:

As you already should know, Dell doesn't list any windows 7 touchpad driver for your system. However, you can try the method to install Dell touchpad windows 8.1 in the link below. The link is by one of the forum's rock stars - natakuc4).

dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/.../

EDIT:

Expand Mice and other Pointing Devices, select “PS/2 Compatible mouse” or “Dell Touchpad” or any other similar devices and then right click:

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 16th, 2017 09:00

I also suggest you create a system restore point before attempting to install windows 8.1 touch pad driver. Please, keep in mind, the driver might not work. Lastly, you could search for a Synaptics touch pad driver in link below:

www.synaptics.com/resources

No Events found!