Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

GH

November 17th, 2016 02:00

Touchpads and Tapping on Factory Shipped Laptops

This is a question for Dell:

Are you EVER going to change the factory installed build on your laptops so that tapping, i.e. "tap to click" is DISABLED?

Yes a lot of people like this feature, but there are just as many such as myself who LOATHE it. If laptops are shipped with tapping DISABLED, those who want it can easily enable it - they loose little functionality. However, in the current situation where Dell ship all laptops with it ENABLED, it is actually DANGEROUS!

I've lost count of the number of times files have been selected, deleted, dragged to God knows where or mangled in various ways, or options selected, deselected and applications unintentionally run because the damned stupid machine keeps misinterpreting my normal actions as taps. All until I have waded through several pages of user interface (not always obvious in some versions of the drivers) to turn the damned thing OFF.

Please, PLEASE disable it by default.

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

November 19th, 2016 11:00

Agreed !!

247 Posts

November 19th, 2016 12:00

Well I know my Inspiron 5559 has a precision TouchPad and definitely the Microsoft driver your forced to use with Win 10 is atrocious with tap to click sensitivity. With such a easy way to click the entire touchpad these days. I think tap to click should not be enabled by default. But I have some issues with zoom and other gestures too. The more they try and reinvent the touchpad the worse it gets.

24 Posts

November 20th, 2016 08:00

I've had experience with Dell laptops going back to last millennium (!!!). The newest dumb development (for me) has been to doing away with discreet buttons to click on the glide pad and replacing them with just an "area" of the pad. Terrible! They feel awful (no clear distinction between the two) and work even worse!

The one on the M3800 precision workstation laptop is pathetic (not a cheap laptop by any definition). The glide pad on the Lattitude 3570 is utter rubbish when it comes to clicking - the physical buttons are THAT bad.

Sorry Dell, but the abhorrent "tap to click" is NO substitute for properly working PHYSICAL BUTTONS!

No Events found!