Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 10th, 2010 20:00

Touchscreen Ghost Clicking (Studio 1747)

Do you believe in ghost? I don't either.

I don't know what keeps touching my Touchscreen, but it is annoying.

The Touchscreen randomly acts like it was touched without being touched.

There is no pattern to it. It happens at least once every 2 to 5 minutes.

Has anybody else had this problem?

1 Message

June 5th, 2010 15:00

Hi, I have the same problem, after I reinstalled my system.

It is not regular, but the phenomenon especially occurs when I watch a movie with VLC Player or install new software.

Can anyone help?

Kind regards,

DeJust

12 Posts

June 5th, 2010 19:00

same problem here. we just got our laptop this friday and after a day the ghost clicking started. while typing this message it already happened a couple of times. i had to resize this screen a few times already. sometimes it start programs and most annoying when i am in start i see a click outside the menu and the menu dissapears. my girlfriend is annoyed because it resizes her zenga poker screen at most annoying times. now again the screen is resizing itself. oeh and it just clicked on my notes..... really annoying. ok now it resized to 200 percent and back to 100 percent.. well you get the jest of it. i tried recalibrating the screen. weird part is this is capacitive and humidity in my house is not dry. so what is causing this...

June 7th, 2010 23:00

This applies to you all guys. I'm not quite sure what's causing the problem but i think it's temperature related 'cause whenever i sit in front of my air conditioning unit, the ghost comes to haunt me... lol. But now, back to business; i've actually found a work-around for this problem and it's what i always do once Casper starts attacking my monitor. Go to the download drivers section for your laptop and download the "N-Trig" utility you'll find in there and install it. Once you do that, notice that in the settings of this application, you'll find under the "Digitizer Options" tab a handy checkbox for "Enable Multi-touch", just uncheck that box whenever you get this problem and the touch-screen will be disabled until you check it back or when you next restart the computer. Either ways, i hope this helps everybody having the same problem as i am.

4 Posts

June 8th, 2010 08:00

I have got the same problem. It's irritating me! 

The suggest answer of Vampire isn't working for me..
Pff, hope someone can fix it. 

12 Posts

June 8th, 2010 09:00

Hi there,

Thats not an acceptable workaround for me Vampyre. Turning off a 200 dollar touchpanel to 'fix' the problem is insane. I don't think temperature is the issue either. neither am i convinced its because of EM interference and or humidity. Why?

Everytime and i mean every single time i start playing titans chess, some unseen apparition starts touching pieces sometimes even moving. mostly in the upper right quadrant of the screen. but in other applications its more or less random or in different sections of the screen.

Same with mahjong and most annoyingly while browsing. it will resize the font etc and click links.

anyway since with chess titans it will start clicking away after just a minute i tried something else.

I've let the laptop with all power savings off on for the entire night with paint open in fullscreen and a red brush i've placed a dot in the middle of the screen. i then hovered the cursor a quarter inch left of this red dot. I woke up this morning and looked at my screen. the cursor is still sitting next to the dot where i left it and no new dots were formed. I started chess titans and played a few moves and again the ghost clicking started.

so... I have concluded with my own not to techy mind thats it no outside intereference. Maybe cpu processing though could be messing with it. I highly doubt temperature since a chess program will make calculations but not so the temperature will rise that much. I mean come on its an i7 quadcore. state of the art. one core should be able to defeat the worldchampion chessplayer while only becoming like 30 degrees Celsius. Graphic card temp should be nihil.

EMI well... if a chessprogram conjurs up electro magnetic intereference then I will eat my own sock. I have kept all my other mechanical devices on for this test. a desktop computer with 700 watt PSU, my D-link NAS and my nespresso machine :)

Anyway humidity and EMI are ruled out and i believe temp also because something would have had to have happened in paint in 8 hours of sitting there on my couch.

The only thing i cannot exclude is well.. Human presence. Myself. If a tree falls in a forest without anyone hearing it. Will it have made sound? Well thats the question. the only factor that i didnt take in consideration is myself. Maybe i'm so much enlightened that my aura is causing this. If i find the time I will setup paint again and go sit in front of my laptop with my hands inches from the screen as if i was going to move a chess piece. maybe visualize the board and think of which piece to move on my imaginary paint chess board for 8 hours straight. Ok well i'm joking but the problem is ruling out some of these theories doesnt bring me one inch closer to a solution. other than demanding from dell to replace my touch screen with a 1080 screen instead. because this is truly a breaking point for me. Multi-Touch should be intuitive, fun and easy to use to add to the user experience. Not annoying and irritating and having to DISABLE the touchscreen functionality!

Just my 200 dollars....

4 Posts

June 9th, 2010 02:00

I found the solution: 

A man on youtube told me to clean your screen. It will help!

And you know what? It helps!

Edit: Still having it :(

June 9th, 2010 10:00

Hi there. Same problem here. Took delivery last Wednesday, and as soon as I'd unboxed the 1747and plugged it in and set up Windows 7, it started moving the cursor around on its own. It would also resize the screen in IE8, open up multiple browser windows all on it’s own and then the screen would throw the cursor over to the far right (and occasionally jump down up and down) of the screen and arbitrarily move and close the windows gadgets. Very annoying and it made the machine practically unusable.

Needless to say, given the cost of the laptop I was not impressed.   

The next day I rang Dell support and they called me back and took control of the laptop remotely. The rep was very professional and went through the process of downloading all of the necessary driver updates and installing them one by one. Initially he was very confident that it was a software issue related to a combination of the BIOS, Touchpad & ATI Graphics drivers.

Anyway, 2 hours (and many updates) later he was forced to admit defeat as he could still see the cursor blinking then moving of its own accord. I’m now awaiting a replacement Studio 1747 laptop which should be arriving any day soon.

Interestingly, the rep also had another colleague whom he was working with on this issue who was attending another call with another new 1747 owner with the same touch screen issue?! The mind boggles.

It doesn’t bode well for my new laptop, and I’m wondering if these machines have an inherent fault or if there’s a batch that have faulty touch screens installed? Either way, I will record my findings here – and if is another ghost ridden laptop I shal  be taking up the refund offer and purchasing an alternative model.

Tel

12 Posts

June 10th, 2010 05:00

Same here mate. Have been in touch with tech support these past 3 days. And exhausted all options. I was really hoping for a hardware fault. But the tech support and I became steadily aware that this is most likely not the case. More likely it would be due to an unstable N-Trig driver maybe in combination with incompatibility of the hardware. The problem does increase though if you plug in or unplug the AC adapter while the laptop is on. But with some programs such as paint completely canceling this ghost clicking then it must be in our opinion be software at fault. On the N-trig site only 3 models are supported. 2 latitudes and a HP. So basically no idea when better drivers will arise.

Thus originally thinking maybe a replacement laptop might fix the issue we both agreed that this is highly unlikely, so i've mailed dell customerservice last night that i'm having the laptop returned and awaiting a refund. I will most definately be placing a new order when i receive my refund but then with a different panel. My girlfriend is already browsing for a nice paintjob since this was not available on the touchscreen panel :)

I really hope though that your replacement will work out for you thoug and i'll be following this topic.

Best regards,

Rory

June 10th, 2010 16:00

Guys, at first i thought this was a driver problem like most of you guys say, but if it were drivers it would give me the same problem over and over whether i was in one place or another. Then i thought it was a temperature related problem, but noticed that every now and then the computer gave the ghost problem and i was at places with the same room temperature like the one i was when i got the problem. But thanks to your charisma in naming problems i think i've found what is actually causing the problem, at least in my case. I noticed that i was having the problem everytime any of my family members had the a/c, tv, stereos or home theather turned on, meanwhile it didn't give me any trouble. So what do all of these things have in common? electro magnetic static or pulses.

Next morning, using the name you guys gave to this trouble i started using skills from an electrician or a "ghost hunter" and i decided to go to my local hardware store and ask that they lend me an EMF reader in order to check something out. When i got home i started looking at the readings all over the house and i got readings from 0.2 to some 1.0's. After that i decided to power-on my 1747 and started turning on the things that i noticed were turned on whenever i had the problems. I got some high readings and also noticed that the closer i got to these electrical devices, the worst the "ghost" attacked my computer, i turned them off and immediately the readings dropped and also the friendly ghost messing my computer up.

So guys, instead of nagging like little brats and destroying your dreams of having such a great computer with touch screen, first try to find out the reason for the problem and never reach a conclusion that you don't have real facts about; i did my investigation and found that my problem was this one, now you guys go out and investigate a little and have some fun while you're at it... on my behalf... i'm staying away from my electrical devices (at least keeping some distance) so my static ghost doesn't attack my computer (besides, static is never good for a computer anyway). I'll keep this issue under surveilance for a while to see if i can find another reason, but for now, treat your 1747's like you would've done from the beginnning and don't just return them because of something that simple.

Also, the N-trig thing i said earlier was just a temporary fix until someone found an actual fix for this problem, so don't worry guys, i won't make you or myself sacrifice $300 by disabling the touch feature just because of a bug, otherwise i would've suggested getting the 1080p screen i had ordered at the beginning, but considering that this idea was a bad one too because it would've given you stability issues with the voltage and all... i didn't think it was such a good sugestion either hahaha. Happy ghost hunting guys, i hope you can put on quarantine or eliminate entirely your touch screen problems.

:emotion-21::emotion-11:

12 Posts

June 10th, 2010 17:00

I don't think we were nagging but yeah ok. If you felt I reacted out of line, well that was not my intention. I might have come on to strong but that may be due to the frustration. I do believe EMI 'might' have something to do with it. It seems that the problem occurs more when the power is plugged in. so maybe that is the culprit But it doesnt explain why -and i've tested this exhaustively- I always get ghost clicks when i play a game like chess titans or mahjong or browse the web and NO CLICKS whatsoever in 8 hours of sitting in the same spot of my couch next to my 700 watt desktop and what not in the program paint like i explained above. this you must agree is highly unusual. the EMI remains the same. the temperature remains the same the humidity remains the same... the only thing that is different is the software and internal processes the device calculates.

I've already made up my mind though and mailed a return form to dell. thinking i will order a new laptop from them. I haven't thought about the voltage issues concerning a 1080 panel so i'll take that into consideration thanks. I don't think that this issue is something that simple though. If its emi then the device is way to sensitive. I might buy another touchscreen when these 'problems' have settled somewhat. I do believe that resistive screens are capable of multi touch also so this might be a better option for me. I've already ordered a touch screen kit from hongkong to mod my dell ultrasharpo 19 inch screen into touch. This is only single touch but will work for what i have in mind.

June 10th, 2010 18:00

lol, no need to worry, i said that 'cause it actually reminded me of my little siblings always complaining and returning their christmas presents, and yeah, i do agree this system is way to sensitive right now i'm actually having fun with this problem, whenever i'm going to let any of my family members use the computer, i just put it next to the tv and once the problem starts, they lose the urge to use my laptop... therefore... i have it back in my hands lol. Eitherways, if i can be of any help to any of you guys, don't hesitate and leave a message on this thread, i'll be keeping my eye on it, take care guys, and as i said before... HAPPY HAUNTINGS... LOL.

June 11th, 2010 02:00

Hi Vampire. Trust me on this - I love this laptop and was well pleased when I unboxed and fired it up. In fact;  the touch screen wasn't a factor for me when I originally ordered. The fact that I could get an i7 processor with a touch screen at the exact same price as the standard Studio 17 (adding an i7 to the order at that time to a standard Studio 17 brought it into line with the Touch Screen model.)  Also, the Touch Screen model also allowed me to add a Blu Ray Drive, an option that wasn't (and still isn't) available for the standard Studio 1747 in the UK.

So it was pretty much a no-brainer when I ordered, and the ghostly touch screen - whilst disappointing isn't a deal breaker for me. If I get my replacement Studio 17 and it's Touch Screen is also problematic,  Having been back to the order site and built a new Studio 17order from scratch; I'm very tempted to just switch Multi-Touch off and use it as a Standard Studio 1747-  as reordering a Standard 1747 will probably mean that I automatcialy lose the Blu Ray drive and get a 'lesser' laptop for more potentially more money. 

I haven't fiddled with the Touch Screen settings on the original 1747 laptop (that's being picked up today :emotion-6:) but what I would like to know is it easy to switch off the Touch Screen function in the exisitng software?

No sign of the replacement 1747 as yet. Will certainly give it a thorough testing (especially on Vampire's EMP observations), before I go down the road of switching Multi-Touch off completley.

Will let you all know how I get on.

Tel  

12 Posts

June 11th, 2010 06:00

Depends which driver is installed I think. If you install R254084 A01, this is the forced firmware driver. Since the A00 (R244460) unintendedly removes firmware when you deinstall this driver.

Anyway with the A01 and maybe even with the A00 you can simply go to your program tray at the left and right click on N-Trig. there you will find an option to disable functionality.

For testing I would like to know if you experience the same issues as me also. Please play a game of chess or Mahjon if you will. Set sound enabled in flicks so you will hear whenever the screen is touched without your input :) If you get ghost clicks please disable the programs and start up paint and let it sit for a while. I'm interested in what will happen.

Thanks,

Rory

June 11th, 2010 21:00

Terryoverall, yes, options for the N-trig are practically the most user-friendly you'll see ever, once you get into the settings, you see right in the first tab what i said earlier about the checkbox for disabling the touch feature of our precious computers... oh God i just heard myself saying this like golum from Lord of the rings... Anyway, yeah, it's as easy as i said earlier, go into the n-trig settings and just uncheck that magic checkbox.

kingpinda, i went ahead and did what you suggested and played chess and mahjon for 4 hours straight and my computer didn't do anything out of the ordinary, i played alone, with my friends, every difficulty and casper didn't mess with my computer at all. Also, since i've had my fair share of boredom, i've played with paint a lot of times and nothing has gone wrong, so i'm starting this is a problem only you are having at the moment since nobody else has come-up with this issue in particular. As i said before, i'll keep an eye on this thread to see if anything of the sort develops, but for now this is not an issue i'm having or any other person i know and i'll just have to keep in mind what you described.

PD- i'm starting to think we should be working for DELL as testers of some sort 'cause we've investigated, tried weird stuff, i've even gone as far as looked for emf readings and i really consider this is something a DELL's technician should be doing... not an unemployed one like me LOL. Anyways, if this gets out of hand... who you gonna call?... NOT ME... call the ghost busters! hahaha, later.

1 Message

June 13th, 2010 14:00

Yes, i'm having the same problem.

I got the studio 1747 with touchscreen a week ago. I only did notice this
problem a couple of hours ago. It seems that it is getting worse.

My pointer moves and click every 10 to 50 seconds. The frequency of the ghost clicking seems to accelerate.

It is mainly happening in the upper right quarter of the screen.

- fullscreen Youtube videos are getting paused ( like when you click on them )
- firefox bookmarks are getting launched
- my icons or webpage layouts are getting resized

It is driving me mad. Typing this message was not easy as the pointer
is launching firefox bookmarks. I had to type it up in notepad.
I have no clue as to what makes this thing happen. I tried disconnecting ac but it doesn't change a thing. It also starts again after reboot.

Dell is amazing, but in bad way.
The studio 1747 has ac heat problems, global heat problems, loud on and off fan, throttling of cpu, bluescreens... now this !?

I really hope they find a cure for this.

No Events found!