Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

February 7th, 2009 12:00

Trackpad Problems - Inspiron 1525 - HELP!

I just bought a Dell Inspiron 1525 about two weeks ago.  The trackpad has never really worked properly.  It's hard to get it to respond to touch and just generally doesn't perform like a brand new computer's trackpad should.  You have to touch it just so for it to work.  Is this a common issue with the Inspiron 1525?  Is there some setting I can tweak to get it right?  I need to know if I should send the computer back.  HELP!

4.6K Posts

February 7th, 2009 21:00

Welcome to the forums :emotion-21:

The first thing I'd suggest you try, is going to the Inspiron 1525 'Drivers & Downloads' section on the Dell website, and downloading/installing the latest touchpad drivers (under 'Input Device Drivers') :emotion-55:

2.9K Posts

February 9th, 2009 09:00

Open Control Panel (Classic view) and double click on Mouse. From here you can tweak and adjust the sensitivity of the touchpad. See if this helps any.

February 9th, 2009 09:00

Done. However, the same issues persist...any other ideas?  Thanks!

3 Posts

February 11th, 2009 17:00

I just bought an Inspiron 1525 and I also am having trouble with my touch pad. It seems like every so often it gets stuck or has limited movement. I also noticed that the touch pad isn't centerd in the middle,, its centered to the left.

February 11th, 2009 17:00

Yes - I'm well aware of adjusting the settings in the control panel.  However, despite what I do, nothing seems to make a difference.  Is the trackpad on the Inspiron 1525 just lousy?  I mean this is a brand new computer...

2.9K Posts

February 11th, 2009 20:00

If you can't resolve the problem via the software, then maybe there is a hardware problem. Conatact Dell Support and have it repaired under warranty.

February 16th, 2009 06:00

But it's literally a brand new computer.  What I'm trying to discern is whether it is, in fact, a hardware problem or the hardware is just lousy to begin with.  I'd prefer not to have to send the machine in and be without a computer for several weeks unless it's entirely necessary. 

2.9K Posts

February 16th, 2009 08:00

Well, I don't think that the hardware "is just lousy to begin with". My son has had a 1525 for approximately 7 months now, and his trackpad is fine. You indicate that you've tried the software "solutions" and they don't work. You won't know whether or not this is a hardware problem unless you contact Dell technical support.

5 Posts

February 16th, 2009 23:00

I just bought a Dell Inspiron 1525 about two weeks ago.  The trackpad has never really worked properly.  It's hard to get it to respond to touch and just generally doesn't perform like a brand new computer's trackpad should.  You have to touch it just so for it to work.  Is this a common issue with the Inspiron 1525?  Is there some setting I can tweak to get it right?  I need to know if I should send the computer back.  HELP!

Well, I think most probably its the hardware.  I also bought the Inspiron 1525 on Feb 11. The working of its trackpad is vast inferior to my old (still working) DELL 510m. Just to make a point, for a scale of 1(worst) to 10(best), 510m is 9, 1525 is 4. This is the worst trackpad among my 7 laptops I owned, HP, Thinkpad, Twinhead, Toshiba, 2 DELLs and a PIII. I read a review and it says the trackpad is its weak point. I can understand, since its enclosed inside an armour, and u can imagine how it responds.

I hv another problem here. A friend told me  an free application-CPU_Z (CPUID) - can run a check on the systm. It reveals the 2 GB memory is only 400MHz (PC6400, by Hyundai) but its BIOS says 667MHz. Dunno which to believe.

cpt43

6 Posts

February 25th, 2009 18:00

I have this same problem and have had it since I purchased my computer.  I have spent hours on the phone with Dell and finally erased the harddrive and reinstalled it to factory settings.  Still this problem persist.  It does not seem to happen as often but it is very frustrating when it seems as if some unknown entity has taken control of my computer.  When it happens, I cannot position the mouse because it just jumps across the screen to another point before I can click.  I may have had my computer for about 8 months now.  I really wish Dell would replace this computer because this problem wont seem to go away.  I think I have noticed that it seems to happen when my computer is upgrading.  I decided to try a little troubleshooting tonight.  Good luck and let me know if you find a solution.

3 Posts

February 26th, 2009 08:00

Same problem here.  99% sure it's a hardware problem given:

1) I've upgraded to new BIOS

2) reinstalled ALPS driver

3) tried a Synaptics driver

4) exhibits the same problem under Mac OS X that I installed on my Dell under a dual boot config

Chatted with tech support and I have to send it in for a new trackpad (10-14 day turn around).  Only solution I suppose.

March 2nd, 2009 16:00

Keyullc:

Were the repairs successful?

3 Posts

March 3rd, 2009 11:00

Repair man was here and it's still not working right. I started having trouble with the fan and the trim around the monitor part of my lap top. Dell is sending me a new computer  to replace this one and I will be sending this one back. I think the track issues can't be fixed but thats just my own thoughts on the issue.

1 Message

March 4th, 2009 13:00

We just have to face the sad fact that the touch pad on the Inspiron 1525 is poorly engineered.  Mine doesn't work in anything close to a satisfactory manner.   I will not be calling Dell re the problem, since they typically route you to some off-shore support center where the primary objective is to leave you so frustrated that you will simply go away and never come back.   Actually, that's not fair.  Their support is quite helpful if you can't find the on/off switch or you don't know where to connect the power cable.  It's only when you want to go beyond the illustrations in the Quick Setup Guide that they have problems.

1 Message

March 4th, 2009 14:00

It is interesting to note that this is a problem which has been ongoing for more than a year) I purchased mine in august of 2008, and was too stupid to realize it was not me. I downloaded, reloaded, changed settings and contacted Dell. Unfortunately since it was out of warranty, no one would talk  to me.

It is obviously a known problem, and there is no plan to change or correct it unless you complain enough within your warranty period. It surprises me that a good company would allow this to go on and on.

I will not purchase Dell again, recommend purchase or allow my company to continue their relationship with Dell.

B Calder.

PS: I have had to reposition the cursor 7 times during the typing of this message.

No Events found!