Donkey Dave
2 Bronze

Trackpad Problems - Inspiron 1525 - HELP!

I just bought a Dell Inspiron 1525 about two weeks ago.  The trackpad has never really worked properly.  It's hard to get it to respond to touch and just generally doesn't perform like a brand new computer's trackpad should.  You have to touch it just so for it to work.  Is this a common issue with the Inspiron 1525?  Is there some setting I can tweak to get it right?  I need to know if I should send the computer back.  HELP!

0 Kudos
17 Replies
TheRealFireblad
5 Iridium

Re: Trackpad Problems - Inspiron 1525 - HELP!

Welcome to the forums :emotion-21:

The first thing I'd suggest you try, is going to the Inspiron 1525 'Drivers & Downloads' section on the Dell website, and downloading/installing the latest touchpad drivers (under 'Input Device Drivers') :emotion-55:

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
Integrated 2MP Webcam
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

0 Kudos
Donkey Dave
2 Bronze

Done. However, the same issues persist...any other ideas?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
Rebel9
5 Rhenium

Open Control Panel (Classic view) and double click on Mouse. From here you can tweak and adjust the sensitivity of the touchpad. See if this helps any.

0 Kudos
Donkey Dave
2 Bronze

Yes - I'm well aware of adjusting the settings in the control panel.  However, despite what I do, nothing seems to make a difference.  Is the trackpad on the Inspiron 1525 just lousy?  I mean this is a brand new computer...

0 Kudos
bonniejh
2 Bronze

I just bought an Inspiron 1525 and I also am having trouble with my touch pad. It seems like every so often it gets stuck or has limited movement. I also noticed that the touch pad isn't centerd in the middle,, its centered to the left.

0 Kudos
Rebel9
5 Rhenium

If you can't resolve the problem via the software, then maybe there is a hardware problem. Conatact Dell Support and have it repaired under warranty.

0 Kudos
Donkey Dave
2 Bronze

But it's literally a brand new computer.  What I'm trying to discern is whether it is, in fact, a hardware problem or the hardware is just lousy to begin with.  I'd prefer not to have to send the machine in and be without a computer for several weeks unless it's entirely necessary. 

0 Kudos
Rebel9
5 Rhenium

Well, I don't think that the hardware "is just lousy to begin with". My son has had a 1525 for approximately 7 months now, and his trackpad is fine. You indicate that you've tried the software "solutions" and they don't work. You won't know whether or not this is a hardware problem unless you contact Dell technical support.

0 Kudos
cpt43
2 Bronze

I just bought a Dell Inspiron 1525 about two weeks ago.  The trackpad has never really worked properly.  It's hard to get it to respond to touch and just generally doesn't perform like a brand new computer's trackpad should.  You have to touch it just so for it to work.  Is this a common issue with the Inspiron 1525?  Is there some setting I can tweak to get it right?  I need to know if I should send the computer back.  HELP!

Well, I think most probably its the hardware.  I also bought the Inspiron 1525 on Feb 11. The working of its trackpad is vast inferior to my old (still working) DELL 510m. Just to make a point, for a scale of 1(worst) to 10(best), 510m is 9, 1525 is 4. This is the worst trackpad among my 7 laptops I owned, HP, Thinkpad, Twinhead, Toshiba, 2 DELLs and a PIII. I read a review and it says the trackpad is its weak point. I can understand, since its enclosed inside an armour, and u can imagine how it responds.

I hv another problem here. A friend told me  an free application-CPU_Z (CPUID) - can run a check on the systm. It reveals the 2 GB memory is only 400MHz (PC6400, by Hyundai) but its BIOS says 667MHz. Dunno which to believe.

cpt43

0 Kudos