MaxQ
1 Copper

Trouble installing drivers.

I re-formatted my XPS M140 laptop with Win XP. I downloaded all the drivers from my drivers & download page on Dell's site. I put them all into one folder on the laptop and now I can't  figure out how to open them. When I double click on the any of the drivers, I pop up comes up and asks "Choose the program you want to use to open this file".  I installed the free version of Winzip thinking that would open the drivers but it didn't.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks in advance,

MaxQ

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jackshack
5 Osmium

Re: Trouble installing drivers.

The files on Dell's download pages are self-extracting zip files.  When downloaded properly all you need do to start one is to double-click on it.  A dialog box should pop up asking you to permit opening the file, followed by a query to create an appropriate folder for the file if one does not already exist.  Click OK, the file extracts, and when it is complete, the install wizard pops up to install the file.

If you downloaded the files using the download manager, that may be a part of your problem.  It has been known to mangle files.  You should use your Add/Remove programs feature found in the Control Panel to remove the Dell Download Manager if it exists, clear out your cookies, and download the driver files one at a time using the download via web browser approach.  The Notebook System Software found in System Utilities must be the first file installed.  The next file installed must be the Intel Chipset Driver.  The drivers after these first two are not as critical about order, but Dell recommends that you follow up with the Video Display Adapter, Network Interface Adapter (Ethernet port), and Sound Adapter drivers.  If you have additional drivers, such as those for a modem or pointing device, you can load them in any order after the first five.

Dell Forum member since 2005

0 Kudos
MaxQ
1 Copper

Re: Trouble installing drivers.

Thank you Jack for your response. That must have been it. I downloaded all the drivers using the download manager. But I then tried to use WinRaR and that worked like a charm. All installed perfectly. I appreciate the time you took to respond to my post.

MaxQ

0 Kudos