Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 9th, 2016 10:00

Trouble with XPS 15 9550, USB-C/Thunderbolt 3, and external monitors

After the time spent with Dell Support doing diagnostics and updating video drivers to those official Dell drivers on the support page, my new XPS 15 9550 with 4K touch display continues to struggle when using external monitors. I have two (2) Dell U2515H monitors.

I have updated ALL of the drivers and BIOS to the very latest files available on the Dell support page, including the newest Thunderbolt 3 driver.

When the laptop is NOT connected to any external monitors, I am NOT experiencing any trouble.

When the laptop is connected to ONE external monitor via the onboard HDMI port, I am NOT experiencing any trouble.

Trouble begins with the addition of ANY external monitor via the USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 port.

I have experimented with the following three adapters, all producing the same result:

• Dell USB-C to HDMI (2.0), part number 047KD7
  • Dell USB-C Port DA200, part number 5KMR3 REVA00
  • Cable Matters USB-C to DisplayPort
First, regardless of which adapter. my laptop ramps up the fan for as long as the adapter is present.
Second, although the monitor works with any of the adapters at the proper resolution, all of the screens will go black about every 10-20 minutes and the displays will seem to resize and reset. In this process, about half of the time, the windows open on the monitor connected to the USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 port will either minimize or relocate to the primary display (the laptop screen). However, the laptop itself doesn't freeze. I tried running a YouTube video through the screen freeze event. The sound continued without any trouble and the video advanced through the timeline and was synchronized to the sound when the displays reset.
If I disconnect the USB-C adapter (whichever one), the laptop fan will return to an idle state and the display freezes also stop.
I think that the USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 driver and/or the external display driver is/are to blame and I strongly urge that Dell get this resolved ASAP.
This experience is VERY frustrating, especially considering the premium cost of the XPS 15. I intentionally purchased a top-of-line laptop and fully expect it to be able to at least drive a second monitor with the super magical Thunderbolt 3 port. I am seriously considering returning the device and looking elsewhere.

7 Posts

May 22nd, 2016 08:00

I have a 5510 and TB15 dockting station. Not working with Dell monitor.  Response on monitor is sluggish. USB ports on docking station stop working after a few minutes.  And here's a real frustration: I cannot update some of the thunderbird related chipsets and tech support just gave up - twice.  

12 Posts

June 2nd, 2016 06:00

I've got some weird behaviour too, with a new XPS 9550, all the latest drivers + BIOS updated.

Connected to a Acer CB280HK monitor, 4K @60Hz on the USB-C port, via an adapter to mini-DP and then a mini-DP to DP cable to the monitor.

The screen will blank when I do certain things in the OS. One of these activities is listing the available Wi-Fi networks from the system tray.

I've made a quick little video to show the behaviour: goo.gl/.../xxwfuM5WBB8t9iNE7

On that occasion it was the network list triggering the problem but it won't happen like that all the time. Other times it's caused by loading up Windows Explorer. But then again, not always.

11 Posts

June 2nd, 2016 07:00

I have word from Dell saying there will be an update coming end of June that will fix everything. It's a bios update. I know I reported aways back I had everything working but it didn't last long before all the issues came back. *** having all this money in a dock and 4k monitor to not use it. Hopefully this bios update fixes it.

7 Posts

June 2nd, 2016 09:00

That's right. It will fix everything - and I'm Mary Poppins. This has been going on for years....

5 Posts

June 2nd, 2016 09:00

For some reason I am am reminded of an old joke: "Did you hear they found a cure for Lou Gehrig's disease?" " Dude, Lou Gehrig's been dead for years."

1 Message

June 4th, 2016 06:00

I have the same set, Dell XPS15(9550)/i7/16G ram/500G SSD with Dell Thunderbolt 3 dock, but with only one external monitor Dell S2817Q connected by a high speed HDMI cable from the dock. All drivers are new. However, the refresh rate of the external monitor is only 30 Hz with 4K, while for pc it is 60Hz. Is any way to get 60Hz on the monitor?

June 4th, 2016 10:00

Does anyone know if the TB15 docking station supports 3 external monitors? I followed the guides and everything seems to be working fine for me. To solve the over heating problem of the docking station, I put the docking station on its side so the power cable is facing up and I have a fan running at all times pointed at the docking station. I'm using the latest drivers, firmware and bios.

My problem is trying to figure out how to get 3 external monitors to work? I purchased 3 monitors thinking t that it would support it, since that's what I thought it said on the web site. Can anyone confirm? Thanks!

27 Posts

June 4th, 2016 14:00

alexzh:

The problem has gotta be your cable. I tested the same thing and I got 60Hz on the external monitor. There's no real way to know for sure whether any HDMI cable will support 4K video at 60Hz from the writing on the box. I've seen cables that say they support HDMI 2+ that don't and also cables that don't claim 2.0 support but do support 60Hz. If it would be any help, I can PM you or post later the brand name of the cable that works for me. It's not a well-known brand, but it's sold at Best Buy and also online. I have two of them and they both work at 4K by 60Hz.

The brand name of the cable that fully supports 4K at 60Hz is Rocketfish.

[edited for clarity and to update]

7 Posts

June 4th, 2016 19:00

I was told by Dell tech support that the limitation on the TB15 as far as resolution is a total horizontal by vertical resolution so as long as you don't exceed that total resolution, you can have 3 monitors.  The total maximum is 2 4K monitors.  7680 x 2160.

27 Posts

June 5th, 2016 19:00

This is true. The TB15 can support two 4K connections simultaneously or one 5K connection. The only thing is, I'm not quite sure what you're responding to. I'm not sure it has any bearing on the current conversation. But maybe I'm missing something.

I see, you must be responding to businessguy22. He's trying to connect three monitors. Your point may very well apply.

June 7th, 2016 17:00

Atin90 posted a possible solution in another thread.  

In the device manager find the Dell Wireless card under Network Adapters.  Go to advanced properties and scroll down the list until you find "Power Output"  adjust the value to 50% and select OK.

I have the XPS 15 - 9550.  I don't have the TB15, but I do have the Startech TB32DP2 Thunderbolt 3 to dual display port.  I have experienced the same DisplayPort issues as described on the TB15.  Typically I might get 5-10 min before the Thunderport crashes.  I have a a single 4K Asus PB287Q connected to the Startech.

After adjusting the WiFi output power to 50% as atin90 suggested, the system ran for over 5 hours.  

I adjusted back to 100% power to see what would happen.  On hitting 'OK' on the network properties card the display IMMEDIATELY dropped out and then came back.  Within 2 minutes the TB3 port crashed again.  I adjusted back to 50% and plugged the TB32DP2 back in and the system was again operating without any issues.

I have tried this a couple of times with similar results and now have the WiFi Power Output set to 75%.  No issues for 40 min.

This is even more disturbing than it being an issue with a peripheral such as the TB15 dock or TB32DP2.  This is pointing towards a hardware issue with the XPS15.  Insufficient power available on the supply rail?  Poor EMI design/shielding?  I'm not sure how they're going to fix this one in drivers or BIOS... unless the next version of the wireless card driver remaps the output power settings to lower levels. ie. 75% becomes the new 100% :-(

Has anybody tried replacing the Dell WiFi card with a 3rd party card such as Intel?  If it's an EMI issue this would change things up a bit; provided that the Dell card isn't just a re-branded Intel card.

June 8th, 2016 04:00

Hi guys, 

I can confirm that there is also something wrong with the wifi. As suggested by other people on the board, I disabled the wifi and the TB15 works completely fine for me. I also have a USB hub and not plugging anything into the dock except for 3 x external monitors. I can close the LID and no issues at all! Once I turn on the wifi, all *** breaks loose and the monitors disconnect every few minutes. 

My setup is 3 x LCD IPS monitors connected directly to the TB15 dock with a 9350 Lap top.

27 Posts

June 8th, 2016 05:00

I believe this is the possible solution posted by atin90:

en.community.dell.com/.../19982018

27 Posts

June 8th, 2016 05:00

I'm pretty sure that I have tested with Wi-Fi turned off before, without success. But I just lowered the power output to 50% on the Wi-Fi. Let's see what happens. I'll report back the next day or two. Flamesfan, can you point me in the direction of that other thread? Want to know exactly what symptoms were eradicated by this there are a number of symptoms that were bandying about and treating as if they're all the same when they might not be.

June 8th, 2016 15:00

Here is the link to the thread where I originally found atin90's post.

en.community.dell.com/.../20915644

No Events found!