stephenloosli
1 Nickel

RE: Trouble with XPS 15 9550, USB-C/Thunderbolt 3, and external monitors

In my instance, I do NOT close the laptop lid. My laptop is placed directly in front of me and I have one Dell U2515H to my right and one to my left. I have not experienced any issues with the laptop lid side of this problem.

0 Kudos
jigawot
1 Copper

I, too, can confirm this problem.  So long as my Thunderbolt adapter is plugged in, I get screen flickering, window resizing, etc. about every 10 minutes.  Very frustrating.  I am eagerly anticipating the fix for this.

Simon_Tseng
1 Nickel

Yes, i also meet this problem when use DA-200 adapter (USB-C to VGA)

system will easily hang or no response then you need force shutdown XPS15.

already feedback our problem on below link on before but still no any response and solution can fix.

en.community.dell.com/.../19678774

0 Kudos
xKloc
1 Nickel

I've been having the same issue with my TBT3 port. I have a TB15 docking station and it's not useable because of the TBT3 issues. The dock will just loop through connecting and disconnecting.

I've been using a usb-c to hdmi converter with a bit better luck. It will stay connected but does like to flicker every so often which is very annoying.

I look for new drivers everyday, nothing has worked yet.

0 Kudos
DSXDATA
1 Nickel

XPS15(9550)/i7/16G ram/500G SSD with Thunderbolt 3 dock: 2 external HDMI monitors with lid closed is my normal cfg.  Sometimes a monitor will go dark and not come back without power cycle; random monitor resync and USB disconnect and reconnect. This happens every few minutes, not just once in a while. Although it did seem to happen a little less when the audio drivers were updated last week.

I check for new drivers every day, hoping that someday this silliness will get fixed. Until then, the XPS15 with TB dock are pretty much a useless configuration.

tedezeta
1 Copper

I have XPS 9550 and TB15 dock but only one monitor for the moment (have not tried yet with several) connected with display port cable. I have not had any issues so far with the monitor but the fan speed is pretty annoying. 

If I open or close the lid it works as it should for me. 

0 Kudos
Muzzer
1 Nickel

Another one here. The problem seems to happen when external monitor #2 is plugged in because, as noted, this can only be done via the blessed USB-C / TB port. I had external displays working (sort of) - one via the full sized laptop HDMI and one of the DVI / VGA ports on the docking station but it took a lot of fiddling to get the screen resolutions to behave and even then the icons and dialogue box text sizes are all screwed up. That problem still remains but the thing that stopped me using the second display in the end was the mouse freezing for a split second frequently at random times. So I'm now back to just one monitor until this is fixed.

Both my USB-C devices are Dell's own - the mini Display Port adaptor that comes with the laptop and the mini docking station thing that you buy as an accessory. To add insult to injury, the DP thing doesn't seem to work at all (must have shipped me a lemon) and as discussed here the docking station is your proverbial chocolate teapot. ***? 

Why do the docking ports have one each of DVI and VGA? Why not HMDI or even DP? I know, I know, it covers all interface options but you've already got an HDMI in the chassis so any other interface requires an adaptor anyway. It makes dual displays look really Toytown and HDMI is now the dominant graphics interface surely? I paid good money for a proper(?) graphics card for CAD work.

Previous Dell XPS13 (2014) had an external 3rd party USB3 docking station and was just about usable with 2 external monitors in the end. These USB-based video adaptors seem to be a triumph of marketing over substance. But given that ultraportables need to rely on them, you'd think Dell would have validated them properly before committing them to production.

Also, given the paucity of proper USB ports (2), you need to rely on the external expansion to give you room for external drives, mice etc but this means more traffic for the USB-C which is already struggling. Doesn't bode well....

0 Kudos
stephenloosli
1 Nickel

April 11 2016 Update:

I've settled in to the following configurations that seem to work fine, even if I have more cables connected to the laptop than I wanted:

OFFICE

• Unless I'm on the road, I avoid the Thunderbolt port. Although I think the latest drivers and firmware have cured the glitchiness, the always on fan is annoying in a quiet work environment (I haven't bothered with any long term tests to validate that the glitches are gone). 
  • I'm exclusive to the USB 3.0 ports for accessories, using a powered 3.0 hub (Sabrent 9 Port USB 3.0 HUB + 2 Charging Ports with 12V/4A Power Adapter (HB-U930)). Connected to the left USB 3.0 port, I have USB keyboard, mouse, monitor hubs, second camera, and video cards all on that hub.
  • I use the laptop display as my primary monitor, with the laptop sitting on an angled desk stand.
  • I have one external display on the laptop HDMI port and the other on a USB 3.0 video adapter (Plugable USB 3.0 to HDMI 4K UHD (Ultra-High-Definition) Video Graphics Adapter for Multiple Monitors up to 3840x2160).
  • From time to time, I add a third external monitor using a Plugable USB 3.0 to DVI 2K adapter.

ON THE ROAD

• On the road - I have every USB-C adapter type I can imagine and the XPS 15 holds up for meetings, specifically driving VGA projectors. I haven't noticed the port glitches since the last driver/firmware update. The kicked up fan speed is still present, but tolerable in those settings.
  • I also have an Anker 3 port USB 3.0 Hub/Gig Ethernet adapter that works great (Anker Model AH212) for faster/secured internet at some clients' locations and a few spare ports just in case.

Outside of the Thunderbolt problems, I'm generally satisfied with the XPS 15. My only other issue I haven't had time to dive into is the laptop's attempt to burn itself up when in sleep mode. Since the last campfire attempt, I've just resorted to turning the laptop off.

stephenloosli
1 Nickel

Huzzah! Brand new BIOS today! I've flashed it and am running various USB-C adapters on the XPS 15 with absolutely NO fan speed up!

I'm going to put those adapters under load and see how everything is performing, but much progress made already.

Muzzer
1 Nickel

I don't have the fan problem, just mouse stuttering and video hiccups when sending 2nd external monitor through the USB-C. I'll try the BIOS update but would be interested to hear if anyone else sees an improvement with the video issues.

0 Kudos