CL0SeY
1 Nickel

RE: Trouble with XPS 15 9550, USB-C/Thunderbolt 3, and external monitors

Maybe I changed my Wi-Fi since I tested this laptop at home last! I had to set the authentication mode to WPA2-PSK on my access point. (Other devices weren't as picky though.)

0 Kudos
reenagr
1 Nickel

I'm using the plugable doc that supports 3 monitors and it's working great.

0 Kudos
gapus
1 Nickel

Can you be specific?  What dock?  TB15 is pluggable and it doesn't appear to work for anyone.

0 Kudos
reenagr
1 Nickel

Plugable.com has their own USB 3 dock, I returned the TB15. The other one works and it's cheaper. You can buy through amazon.

0 Kudos
Randle81
1 Nickel

Plugable.com has their own USB 3 dock, I returned the TB15. The other one works and it's cheaper. You can buy through amazon.

But... it is not thunderbolt and so uses your laptop processor to do the work, it has lower throuhput for data, only supports external displays at 30hz for 4K, does not support HDCP do you cannot play copy protected content.

The last two are the big issues for me as the dock  As i want to be able to play copy protected content at high resolution. That and the dock is ugly. So unfortunately it is not a simple swap. I'm waiting for the release of their thunderbolt dock in Q4 this year.

0 Kudos
gapus
1 Nickel

I completely agree.  There is nothing like the TB15 is supposed to, and hopefully will be, out there yet.  So I am restarting this obsterperous monster 3-12 times a day so I can live with it until Dell puts things right or a real replacement becomes available.  StarTech has one available for preorder.  Hopefully it will work well.  But won't deliver much power to the laptop.  I'm on the fence as to whether to reorder.

0 Kudos

I'm currently having the same issue, I tried the thunderbolt and now the dell dock and neither will work with two monitors. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
carlosia
1 Copper

Same problem for me on a displaypor-hdmi cable. Found two solutions:

1. Disconnect and reconnect de display port cable

2. Change the resolution and restore it

None of them are satisfactory

0 Kudos
CL0SeY
1 Nickel

I had the same problem where all my USB-C connected devices would disconnect when using/searching for Wi-Fi networks with my XPS 9550.

I lodged a support ticket with Dell, who replaced the motherboard, and magically, the problem seems to be solved. If it comes back I'll report back here.

The new motherboard is sitting at A06 (1.2.0) BIOS and I'm not game to update it until the in-built screen flickering issue is properly solved.

0 Kudos
roverny
1 Copper

Hi all, I have an HP Zbook and am using their TBT dock, and got some bad news, I have the same issue.

Which means most likely it's the TBT firmware/firmware/etc.  Which means it most likely involves Intel as well. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos