Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 18th, 2012 21:00

Trouble with XPS 17 and Windows 8 graphics

Using the final release of Windows 8 x 64 from MSDN, I'm having troubles with the graphics drivers. The screen will flicker to black momentarily every now and then. Sometime it may be a minute or two before it starts, then it will flicker a number of times, then it may be half a minute or a couple of minutes and it will do it again. I've tried various drivers all to no avail. I've tried disabling the NVidia GeForce 555M card, but the problem remains: It looks like it is a problem with the intel HD drivers for this configuration.. The screen works fine under Windows 7 x64.

Is this a known problem ? Any workaround/fix or schedule as to when a fix will be available ?

Thanks

August 21st, 2012 11:00

Hi,

Windows 8 has not been officially released yet and the drivers for the same are not available as of now.

You may try to install the video drivers in ‘Compatibility Mode’.

For that, you may download and save the video drivers for Windows 7 on the desktop. Please perform the following steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode:

1. Right click the .exe file for the drivers that you saved on the desktop.

2. Click Properties.

3. Click the Compatibility tab

4. On the compatibility tab, check the box that reads ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for:’

5. Select ‘Windows 7’ from the drop down menu.

6. Click on OK.

Alternately, you may choose to ‘Run the compatibility troubleshooter’ on the compatibility tab.

You may also check if Windows 8 compatible video drivers are available on the manufacturer’s website. The manufacturer for integrated video adapter for your system would be Intel. The discreet video card, NVidia GeForce 555M, is manufactured by NVidia.

The drivers for Windows 8 would be available on Dell website after the official launch of Windows. Once our product group has tested Windows 8 on Dell systems, they would come up with the required drivers and post them on the Dell support website. Windows 8 releases on October 26, 2012.

Changing the operating system would not affect the hardware warranty of your Dell system; however, it would void the software warranty.

Hope this helps. Do write back for further queries.

August 21st, 2012 18:00

Thanks Gaurav, I've tried compatility mode, but it doesn't and various drivers but it doesn't fix the issue. Is there a schedule for the release of drivers we can refer to ? Also are there any beta drivers available ? Thanks.

August 22nd, 2012 07:00

Thank you for the response.

I understand that the drivers did not work in compatibility mode.

The date of release for Windows 8 is October 26, 2012 and the drivers should be available after that.

However, we cannot commit as of now if the Windows 8 drivers for this particular system model would be available on our website.

The beta drivers compatible with Windows 8 for the NVidia GeForce 555M video card have been released by NVidia. You may visit the following link for NVidia website and download the drivers:

www.nvidia.com/.../notebook-win8-64bit-302.80-preview-driver.html

Please let me know in case of further queries. I will be glad to assist.

August 23rd, 2012 23:00

The drivers above do nto support hybrid systems

August 24th, 2012 13:00

Hi,

It seems at this moment there is no update of Windows 8 beta drivers from NVIDIA for Hybrid SLI technology.

Hopefully,NVIDIA would release the Windows 8 compatible drivers soon.Dell should also update the drivers after the official launch of Windows 8.

Please reply if you have any questions.

1 Message

October 9th, 2012 02:00

I know this is a slightly older post, but just thought I would clarify that pretty much all nvidia drivers say this and it is not related to Optimus and Optimus has worked fine on all those I have tried.

2 Posts

October 26th, 2012 12:00

I'm having the same issue with my Dell XPS 17 (X702) I have just tried downloading the latest available drivers for the Intel HD and NVidia graphics from their websites and still get the screen flicker.

In my case it appears to be much better when running on mains power, the flicker is less frequent than when running on battery.

I look forward to hearing that there are updated drivers available from Dell's website

(side note - I was unable to download the A19 BIOS file)

1 Message

October 31st, 2012 15:00

I'm having the screen flicker issue on Windows 8 if I'm running off battery. All the drivers are up to date.

What's the solution? Also, I had to revert to the Windows 7 trackpad software - hopefully we get gestures soon.

11 Posts

November 3rd, 2012 09:00

I am also having the same issue. Using Dell supplied Windows 8 drivers that are available on the Wiki.

en.community.dell.com/.../4194.xps-l702x-windows-8-64-bit.aspx

Using Dell A19 BIOS, this has not resolved the issue.

1. Clean installation of Windows 8 Pro
  2. Turned off auto-obtain drivers
  3. Installed Chipset drivers
  4. Installed Intel display drivers
  5. Installed Nvida Drivers 

2 Posts

November 4th, 2012 02:00

Likewise although I have only installed the new drivers over the existing ones. I installed every one of the listed Windows 8 drivers including the A19 BIOS. It has made no difference to the flicker on battery. Patiently waiting for a solution.

11 Posts

November 16th, 2012 15:00

Can anyone from Dell shed any light or report this issue please?

1 Message

November 18th, 2012 15:00

I recently updated to Windows 8 pro on a Dell XPS 15z. I have downloaded all the update drivers for both Nvidia and Intel HD graphics. I have also flashed the BIOS. Still having the flicker problem when running on battery power. I also have a Dell ST2210 22" monitor to extend my display. Seems to operate okay, the resolution is not nearly as good as it was in Windows 7. More than anything both of these problems are an annoyance.

2 Posts

November 20th, 2012 04:00

FYI. I reverted to the Dell provided Intel HD Win 7 64-bit driver that fixed the same Win 7 screen flicker issue, but then could not get past the Win 8 login screen (rebooted several times). Could not find any F8 or safe boot options for Win 8 Pro (presumably there is something?), so I had to restore using my Win 8 Pro DVD and the System Restore image I took before loading the old Win 7 drivers (phew!).

I did upgrade to the A19 BIOS before loading Win 8 Pro (upgraded from Win 7 SP1 Home Premium). No issues installing and taking the updates.

So, looks like we wait for Intel (Dell) to provide a Win 8 fix. Hopefully this affects all Intel 3000 graphics/NVidia dual graphics systems, otherwise we'll be waiting a long time!

The other issue I notice is that the XPS L702x fan is running a lot more again now. I set the 'Manage 3D Settings' in the NVidia Control Panel to Integrated Graphics, but the fan still runs a lot of the time. I need to explore the battery options a bit more I think.

2 Posts

November 26th, 2012 03:00

When I dropped the Monitor refresh rate settings to 40hz it seems to fix the problem on my computer.  But who wants to live with 40hz.  It will work until Dell fixes the problem with the drivers.  

3 Posts

December 5th, 2012 11:00

I've notice that my XPS17 now, with Win8, runs for 2hours on battery. With Win7 I could stay 5h30m! It seems that It uses always NVIDIA card. I don't see the flicker that it does on Win7 when I switch to battery mode, when the PC stops using NVIDIA and start using Intel Graphic Card.

No Events found!