Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 18th, 2009 05:00

Troubles with Latitude E5400 (HDD firmware update & fan speed control)

Hi, 

I have some troubles with updating HDD firmware on my Dell Latitude E5400. HDD is ST9160823ASG and makes known "clicking noise". I can´t find any firmware download. Also my HDD temperatures and noise (hdd is a little bit resonating, I don't know how to describe it - it's similar sound as FAN) are above normal, temperatures are about 44-48°C.

Second issue is about FAN control, which is a little bit weird. In spite of CPU temperature don´t get higher than 35°C (usually 25-30), my FAN is very loud and is working at 100%, even if CPU don't work. It's very annoying.

Thanks for your help.

PS: I'm Czech, so sorry for my poor english. 

5 Posts

August 22nd, 2009 19:00

I have the same problem.

Altough my fan is not at 100%, it is always ON! affects dramatically the battery life and not to say very annoying noise when you are working only with *.doc files :emotion-12:

I wish DELL could fix this...

5 Posts

February 9th, 2010 11:00

Unfortunately all of the fan controling software out there does not work well with E5400.. maybe something related with the ACPI interface... I use NHC with older Dell and ACer laptops and it is by far th best fan/cpu software ever made.

3 Posts

February 12th, 2010 06:00

I can second that fan control problem and there seems nothing to do about it. A similar problem in the "big" (read E6X00) models is addressed by firmware updates but nothing is happening for the budget models... Very sad. If it wasn't a company notebook, I would have gotten rid of that thing quite some time ago and had gotten a quieter (non-dell) laptop. The fan starts working after about an hour and never stops until I turn off the notebook for a few hours although not much more than office and/or thunderbird are running.

Rob

3 Posts

February 17th, 2010 07:00

I have a follow up to my problem above... The fan runs at a very low and acceptable speed, when I unplug the network cable. So the workaround for now seems to be to use WLAN. Does anyone else notice this rather weird phenomena? I cannot believe, that the network chip is producing that much heat...

Rob

5 Posts

February 20th, 2010 01:00

Hi Rob,

If by WLAN you mean the WiFi interface then I only use that. I rarely use the LAN interface and the fan still works all the time :(

regards,

Edson

4 Posts

April 17th, 2010 10:00

Kind day
At me BIOS A04
Who can that updated the version of BIOS to new version A15
I do not hurry up it to do...
Whether me interests there was a table of temperatures of more tolerant?

Who would help - it is necessary to type on your version of an BIOS a combination for a special mode, then Fn+R, T and to photograph result. And if simply lay out. So it will be visually visible, whether new versions of insertions began to use less noise from the fan

Whether on version A15 the cooler right after inclusions works? And how many about time leaves at you in silence? It is a pity that it is not switched off...

Further from other users it would be desirable to see like the such

Your version of an insertion: A **
Your screenshot of the thermal table: ***

Here from me a screenshot:
A04

4 Posts

August 21st, 2010 08:00

I have made updating firmware (A15)

The fan isn't switched off. At me loading and temperatures low, HDD temperature of 29 degrees. Only reboot helps. Or a way with a combination of keys Fn +... There I disconnect the fan

Management DELL!!!

Let out the updated version (A16)

an insertion with possibility of switching-off of work of the fan at fall of temperatures below certain level.

I offer such conditions for automatic deenergizing of the fan:

CPU = <50
HDD = <38

I would like to learn email managements DELL for request sending to update BIOS 

4 Posts

August 30th, 2010 04:00

A15: HDD = <28 fan switching-off Home temp 18.5 (67.1) (its cold...)

4 Posts

November 9th, 2010 10:00

BIOS A15-16 real temp:
HDD temp = >32 fan switching-on
HDD temp = <28 fan switching-off

!!!!! managers DELL !!!!!

In this case the laptop E5400 would be silent and life of the cooler would have been more and more pleasant it would be to work in silence.

Please do update the BIOS and make changes such as I suggested in the thermal table

HDD temp= >42 fan switching-on
HDD temp= <38 fan switching-off

No Events found!