Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 3rd, 2012 17:00

Trying to boot up EFI files.

I have an Inspiron 15R N1150(Core i5 2450m) running the latest A10 'BIOS'
My research shows, that the AMI Aptio platfrom is a UEFI based one, but when I cross references photographs of other Aptio BIOS's with mine, I see that I am missing the UEFI Boot option under my boot tab.

Could somebody please provide some clarification?
How am I supposed to go about installing Windows 7 over GPT if I can properly make use of EFI? 

677 Posts

September 4th, 2012 08:00

Hi stealthybox,

I agree that the “Aptio BIOS” is a “UEFI” enabled BIOS.  However, Dell has not enabled this feature on the Inspiron 15R N1150. Therefore, the UEFI option during the boot won’t be available.

Please let us know in case of any other queries

Thanks and regards
Harish R
#iworkfordell

September 4th, 2012 22:00

Thanks for the reply Harish,

Does this mean that I won't even be able to boot into Windows 7 Setup under 'UEFI' mode.

I'm trying to set up a GPT disk for my drive, but I can't seem to get Windows 7 Setup to install to the GPT formatted disk because it's booting into BIOS/MBR mode.

Conceding that Aptio is a UEFI platform, an EFI+GPT disk setup should be supported, yes?

How do I go about this?

677 Posts

September 5th, 2012 09:00

Hi stealthybox,

Even though the BIOS is based on UEFI platform, UEFI, EFI and GPT setup has not been enabled by Dell. It is not available for N5110 which has a basic BIOS system.

Please let us know in case of any other queries

Thanks and regards
Harish R
#iworkfordell

October 6th, 2012 17:00

Harish,

I just wanted to ask,

Is there a specific reason for why this is this way?

You've been very helpful so far,

Appreciate it.

April 21st, 2013 09:00

do you plan to enable UEFI BIOS settings cos i really want mac os x mountain lion 10.8.3 to run from by main disk

No Events found!