Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 6th, 2013 01:00

Trying to install Windows 7 Ultimate onto my new Inspiron 15 (3520) laptop... Help...

Hi, I've just purchased a new Inspiron 15 (3520) laptop and I want to install Windows 7 Ultimate onto it as I am not impressed with Windows 8. But I have gotten so far with installing Win 7 Ult and it won't let me install it onto any of the partitions. Help? DJR

1.8K Posts

March 6th, 2013 02:00

Hi DJR,

It can be annoying when Windows 7 fails to install. Please reply to this post with the requested information:

1. Are you receiving any error message while trying to install Windows 7 on a partition?
2. The capacity of the partition on which you are trying to install Windows 7?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 6th, 2013 04:00

In order to install Windows 7, you must delete all the existing partitions on the disc.  Once that's done, you can get the install done.

3 Posts

March 6th, 2013 04:00

It loads from the CD and it shows the first black & grey screen which says 'Windows loading files' and then the installation freezes at the second screen that says 'Starting Windows' with the four coloured balls.

1.8K Posts

March 9th, 2013 08:00

Hi DJR,

Thank you for your reply and for providing an update on the status. I suggest you to run a hardware diagnostics to check if all the hardware components are working properly. Please follow the steps provided in the following link:
http://dell.to/OUGnqT

Please let me know the results of the test.

March 11th, 2013 20:00

I have an Inspiron 3520 and have tried to install Windows 7 and it is also hanging at the Starting Windows 7 screen. I have run the diagnostic utility and found no errors. Any idea why this would be? I have tried with UEFI as well as Legacy boot options and neither worked. 

3 Posts

March 11th, 2013 22:00

Hi Rajath, Got it all fixed and sorted! Finally! Dad got in there and fixed it for me. He ended up putting Linx on it and was able to get Win 7 on it. Thank you for all your help!!

March 12th, 2013 06:00

It is on the first boot of Windows 7 after a clean install. I have an MSDNAA Windows 7 license, and I've tried with both a DVD and a bootable USB stick. The install seems to complete fine either way, but on the first boot after install, it never progress past the pulsing Window logo screen that says "Starting Windows".

HorsieGirl, could you possibly provide some more info on how you corrected the problem? Did you dual boot Linux and Windows to get it to work? And what Linux distro (if it matters)?

1.8K Posts

Hi HorsieGirl,

Thank you for your reply and I am glad to know that the issue has been resolved.

jkbrown1986, are you experiencing this issue during the first boot Windows screen after installation or while booting from the Windows 7 installation disk?

1.8K Posts

March 14th, 2013 08:00

Hi jkbrown1986,

Thank you for your reply and for providing the requested information. I suggest you to change the SATA Operation settings in the BIOS to ATA and check if the system boot properly.

Please follow the steps provided below to change this setting:

1. Restart the laptop and start tapping F2 at the Dell logo.
2. On the BIOS screen, navigate to the “Advanced” menu and select “SATA Operation”.
3. Change it to ATA from AHCI.
4. Press “F10” to save and exit.

Let me know about your findings.

1.8K Posts

March 18th, 2013 01:00

Hi jkbrown1986, unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please respond to my message. Other community members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

No Events found!