Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 8th, 2017 23:00

Trying to recover files from factory restored XPS15 9560

Hi,

I factory restored my XPS 15 9560 & forgot that there's only 1 partition from the original factory HDD so now ended up with 1 partition (C:) & all my files, documents in (D:) are gone. Is there any way to recover them? I've tried EaseUS but not successful. Is it possible to retrieve those files back? If so how?

Really desperate to get those files. Please help anyone. 

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 9th, 2017 05:00

Unfortunately there’s no reasonable likelihood of getting those files back, although even if the factory restore had contained a Data partition, it likely would have created an empty one (as it came from the factory) rather than preserving your existing partition. I realize this doesn’t help now, but going forward you may want to start backing up data using a disk imaging solution, which would allow extracting individual files from those image backups and of course rolling back your entire system to your own images rather than the factory image. Macrium Reflect is a popular tool for this purpose that I use myself, and has both free and paid versions depending on the features you want. Sorry to hear about this though!

2 Posts

November 11th, 2017 01:00

Thanks for replying. You're right I couldn't retrieve a single file. I used EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Technician, EASEUS Partition Master 12.5 Technican Edition, GetData Recover My Files, Recuva and Active@ Undelete Professional, not a single file found during scan.

Well, my mistake. Ever since my desktop's MoBo died I've been using my XPS 15 as my daily workstation, forgot to backup and forgot that factory restore has only 1 partition. Ah, well.....Nothing much I can do but move on. Very hard lesson learned.

Thanks anyways.

No Events found!