Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 7th, 2013 15:00

Trying to understand what happened to my Dell XPS 14z screen

My laptop was working perfectly fine, in fact it still is. There has been no physical damage to it ( no falls or anything ) While I was using it, these random ink blotch things appeared on the screen. When I checked online, a probable diagnosis was that the inner LCD screen has cracked. However I would like to confirm this. Also, what is the solution to that problem?

August 7th, 2013 16:00

Hi Ady791,

I believe there may be some damage on the screen (which is usually not covered under normal warranty until you are entitled for accidental damage coverage). It may also be possible that during travelling or commuting, the laptop in the bag might have suffered some pressure exerted on the back cover which might lead to internal screen / LCD damage. 

Are you still able to see the patches on the screen or is the screen behaving as normal? If patches do arise, I would recommend to post a couple of pictures here of the LCD / screen so that we can reach a decisive conclusion.

12 Posts

August 7th, 2013 16:00

Hey. So I can n

ow see a sourcepoint for a crack suggesting that this is an internal thing. However I am attaching photos as well.

12 Posts

August 7th, 2013 17:00

Any particular reason this happened? So that I can avoid it happening in the future.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

You're going to need a new screen  -- that one shattered.  As noted, no manufacturer covers broken screens under warranty.  Fortunately a new one should be under $100 - add another $75-100 in labor if you don't replace it yourself.

Hi Ady791,

Thank you for posting the pictures.

As ejn63 suggests, yes you would need to get the screen replaced. It clearly shows small lines originating from the bottom left of the screen and the black patch is the liquid inside the LCD that has leaked out. (though its still inside the LCD, its known as internal leaking).

This most probably has happened by applying pressure (unintentionally) on the back cover where dell logo is there on the lid. If you are travelling make sure you do not put the laptop in the main luggage. Carry it in a laptop bag along with you. Also avoid keeping laptops on the bed and sofa as someone may happen to sit on them unintentionally. Also do not keep anything heavy on top of the laptop when the lid is closed.

Rest, if you do have accidental damage warranty on the computer then I can help you in getting the repairs done. But if the warranty no longer exists, then you would have to take it to a local technician nearby or you can contact our out of warranty repair department and consult with them how much it would take to get the screen replacement done. The number for Dell Out of Warranty repair department is 1-800-288-4410 (applicable to USA only). Their working hours are from Mon to Fri 9am to 6pm CST and they are closed on weekends.

Hope this helps.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 7th, 2013 18:00

It may be that if you lifted the cover one-handed, you put some torque on the screen as well.  You should lift the screen with both hands.

12 Posts

August 8th, 2013 03:00

*sigh* Clearly, must handle this laptop like a human baby from now onwards.

August 8th, 2013 10:00

Hi Ady791,

I do understand its disappointing when you find out the LCD is broken unintentionally.

Usually, LCD's are more delicate and vulnerable to damage than the other parts on the laptop, make sure from next time you follow the points discussed above and am pretty much sure you won't have to come across this situation again.

Take care.

1 Message

August 16th, 2013 10:00

So, how do I get my screen replaced and how much will it cost me if I don't have the warranty?

August 16th, 2013 11:00

Hi vyasmanish,

If your computer has faced accidental damage and you do not have complete care (accidental coverage) on the computer or you no longer have warranty coverage, then you can contact Dell Out of Warranty repairs (Only for USA) at 1-800-288-4410 . Their working hours are from Mon to Fri 9am to 6pm CST. Once you call them up, they will let you know how much it would cost you to get the laptop repaired.

Hope this helps.

No Events found!