Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

4 Posts

November 20th, 2005 22:00

Ttouch pad not working

I recently had to reinstall windows xp and the touch pad no longer works on my Inspiron 8200.  Mouse works ok.  Downloaded latest Alps driver, changed bios screen to touchpad/mouse, but still not working.  Did system diagnostics and checked driver, all ok.  Afraid my touch pad and stick are defective?  Anyone experience this and any possible solutions?  Thanks , Tom

4.2K Posts

November 21st, 2005 18:00

Hi,

Did you test the touchpad when you ran Diags ? In your model it was common for the cable to the palmrest to come loose and stop the touchpad. If it comes off, you loose the speakers and the Bios battery. The KBD is held in by 4 screws, if you lift it up the connection in question is beside the KBD connection.

Regards Chris

4 Posts

November 21st, 2005 20:00

Hi Chris

That worked! It was very easy to do.  Thanks for your help.  I know you must have given this response to others numerous time.

Tom

4.2K Posts

November 22nd, 2005 03:00

Hi,

Glad to help. I have answered the same question more than a few times. The funny thing is though, that it seems to come loose after changing the HDD. People then assume it is a driver issue after a reload. It is most likely the thud being placed upside down to change the drive !

Regards Chris 

4 Posts

November 22nd, 2005 11:00

Chris

Actually, you are right.  I installed a new HDD and this happened.  I thought it was because of the XP reinstall. Thanks again.

Tom

1 Message

November 28th, 2005 22:00

a big thank you to Chris for informing me that the connector for the touch-pad gets loose on the 8200 Inspiron...I was driving myself crazy [short drive] trying to figure out what I did when I went to replace the modem.  When I searched Dell's support, they never mentioned that!

Thanks again
John

1 Message

November 29th, 2005 15:00

Thanks for this info. This is the best post I have seen. I had the same problem with the 8200.
After the hard drive was replaced  the touchpad and speakers would not work.

thanks again.

3 Posts

March 5th, 2006 14:00

What does KBD mean?

4.2K Posts

March 5th, 2006 19:00

Hi,

KBD is keyboard.

Regards Chris

3 Posts

March 5th, 2006 23:00

Thanks, I figured it out after I left the message.  And I was able to fix my problem,
No Events found!