andraya47
1 Nickel

Re: Turning off the Touchpad with Windows 8?

5. Where it says "Run this program in compatibility mode for: " there is no Windows 8 in the drop down menu.

0 Kudos

Hi andraya47,

As the system is not accepting the touchpad drivers link that I have provided, I suggest you to install the touchpad drivers by manually entering the systems service tag in the link: http://dell.to/T2hKYc select the operating system; install the touchpad drivers listed under Input section.

After the touchpad drivers are installed, open the Touchpad Properties go to the Device Select section and disable the touch pad, click Ok.

Check if the touchpad is disable and post the results.

Thanks & Regards,
Nikhil D
#iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; India Customers. For Dell Support videos click Here

0 Kudos
andraya47
1 Nickel

It does the same thing it does before when I tried to install the driver. It just says the file is unzipped and then a pop up comes up saying that it may not have installed correctly and gives me the option to install it with the compatibility settings, which does nothing.

I cannot get to the "Touchpad Properties" because that file does not exist.

0 Kudos
Aleigho
1 Copper

I am having the exact same problem and have been researching all of the above. It seems about 100 other people have posts on the same issue. It's very annoying when typing to deal with this. The touchpad is so sensitive, I cannot even type this simple message without having to start over 10 times. I am taking this thing back.

0 Kudos
dragonlexie
1 Copper

for my new windows 8 laptop the way i disabled the touch pad was clicking

Fn + F1 which gave me a settings screen

click on the input tab and then just click off

0 Kudos
Mr. Fox
4 Ruthenium

5. Where it says "Run this program in compatibility mode for: " there is no Windows 8 in the drop down menu.

That's by design. Until there is a Windows 9, there will not be a Windows 8 Compatibility Mode. The OS version in the drop down menu would be limited to OS versions older than the one you are using.

ALIENKILLER II // EVOC P870DM3
7700K @ 5.2GHz ● GTX 1080 SLI ● 17.3" QHD 120Hz G-Sync ● 64GB DDR4-3200 ● 780W AC Adapter

EL CUCUY // EUROCOM TORNADO F5
7700K @ 5.0GHz ● GTX 1080 ● 15.6" FHD 120Hz ● 32GB DDR4-3000 ● 330W AC Adapter

0 Kudos
uncleneil
1 Copper

RE: Turning off the Touchpad with Windows 8?

On my Acer "E1-522" if you press the key combo as above you will turn airplane mode on. It doesn't turn of the touch pad.

0 Kudos
uncleneil
1 Copper

I found that with my Acer E1-522 that if I press Fn key + F7 that turns the touch pad on or off. good luck. Every computer has its own little quirks, eh?

0 Kudos
deeplaker60
1 Copper

Me too, except I am losing my mind and my wife is threatening divorce. It is stunning the number of fixes on the web that don't work. I'm wondering if there is a wire I can cut or a spot I can hit with a hammer. Who the heck ever thought a touch pad would be needed with a touch screen?

0 Kudos
JulesDee
1 Copper

I have been everywhere to solve this problem.  I once had the touchpad shut off but an update kicked it back on again and now I can't shut it off.  It's driving me crazy!