Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 31st, 2013 20:00

U2713HM + Latitude e6410 + PR03X = maximum resolution 1680 x 1050 on Windows 7

I have a Dell Latitude e6410 connected to a PR03x docking station.  I recently got a U2713HM monitor and connected to the docking station via the DVI port.  The cable used is a dual link DVI-D cable (24 pin).  The maximum resolution that Windows 7 allows 1680 x 1050 "recommend".  Plug in a VGA cable is I get over 1920 x 1080 but less then the 2560 x 1440.  I've already download the latest drivers from the laptop and monitor. no luck.  

Any suggestions?

August 1st, 2013 11:00

Hi Ted4Wong,

You can definitely get the 2560x1440 resolution on the Dell U2713HM using your Dell Latitude e6410. But, for that you would have to connect your monitor to the laptop directly through the Display Port. And, for that you would need a Display Port cable as well. If you do not have one, then you would have to purchase from any retailer nearby. A Display port and its cable looks as follows:

The display port on your laptop is located on the back side of your laptop just like the picture above. Your Latitude laptop e6410 supports a maximum resolution of 2560x1600 @60Hz refresh rate. However, the Dell monitor U2713HM supports a maximum resolution of 2560x1440 @60Hz ; a little less than that of your laptop, but its the exact resolution you desired for. Below is a screenshot from the monitor's manual stating the same for your reference. Also you can see where the Display Port is on your monitor. (Refer to label 3 below in the picture)

Below are the resolution details of the monitor

If you want the manual of the monitor then you can copy and paste the link below in your browser to open it :

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_electronics/esuprt_Display/dell-u2713hm_User%27s%20Guide_en-us.pdf

Make sure you have Adobe Reader installed on the computer as it is in pdf file format.

Hope this helps.

6 Posts

September 10th, 2013 14:00

Would a displayport-to-Dual Link DVI adapter work?  If yes ... do I need to get the one that would be powered by USB or would a straight Displayport-to-Dual Link DVI cable work?

Thanks in advance.

September 10th, 2013 21:00

Hi Ted4Wong,

It depends on the adapter, the one that we have on our Dell's website uses extra power when the USB is plugged in with the monitor. Click here to check out the product. This adapter is compatible with Dell systems.

Hope this helps.

6 Posts

September 11th, 2013 09:00

Hi,

Just so I am clear for myself and in getting the right product.

Depends on the adapter ... active vs. passive.  So ... if I wanted to drive the monitor to it's maximum resolution in this manner, I would need an active adapter; which is the link you provided.  Correct?

The passive method with just a cable would only get me 1920x1080 or somewhere around that.  Correct?

Thanks again for your help.

September 11th, 2013 22:00

Hi Ted4Wong,

You're welcome!

Since your Latitude e6410 has a Display port on the rear, I would recommend going ahead and purchasing a Display Port cable instead of the adapter. But its totally your call and as it is feasible for you. 

I found a better Display Port-to-Dual Link DVI Adapter for you. If you want to purchase a simple Display Port Cable , you can do that too. Either way works and is fine. Why I was recommending a cable was because you have a Display Port on your laptop and can make use of it.

Hope this helps.

548 Posts

September 12th, 2013 00:00

Just curious as the answer is not 100% clear...

Will a DP cable connected between the PR03X docking station and monitor allow for the full monitor resolution (2560x1440) and digital multichannel audio to be sent from the laptop to the screen when a laptop is docked to the PR03X? This other post indicates an audio issues exists with PR03X when DP cable is used.

If connecting DP to the PR03X does not handle full resolution and audio, what is the point of having a dell docking station and a big dell monitor with soundbar?

September 12th, 2013 01:00

Hi skylarking,

Since the Latitude e6410 has a display port, we would advice using that particular port on the laptop for connecting it directly with a TV / Monitor. The docking station may not be able to provide the full 2560x1440 resolution via the display port.

As far as the audio issue is concerned with the other post that you've mentioned, it is with the HDMI cable and could be a possible failure with the docking station.

We have not tested the docking station with all the monitors / laptop models. Hence, you may be able to get the maximum resolution with sound or you may not as well get the maximum resolution. But yes, the docking station comes in to use only in scenarios, where a user would require extra amount of ports or ports which are not available on the laptop. If the port is available, like in this case (display port) on the laptop; then we would recommend using the port on the laptop rather than the one on the docking station.

Hope this helps.

548 Posts

September 13th, 2013 03:00

But yes, the docking station comes in to use only in scenarios, where a user would require extra amount of ports or ports which are not available on the laptop.

Thanks for your reply but i very much disagree with your above statement. A docking station's primary use case is so the owner can use his laptop as a desktop replacement when at his desk. In such a basic use case, the screen, keyboard and other desktop peripherals are connected to the docking station so the laptop can be simply dropped into the dock to mate the dock connected peripherals with the laptop itself... Some docking stations of old even included their own internal desktop capable graphics card which would replace the anemic laptop graphics of that time and thus provide true desktop graphics when at ones desk... other old docking stations include DVD burners, etc...  Dropping a laptop into a docking station and then connecting a DP cable to the laptop (if even possible) is just a stupid use case in reality...

I just wish specifications were much more detailed rather than sales department propaganda, or poor mans specs if you prefer, that seems to exist in the industry these days. Then the OP could have simple checked the specs to see if the dock only provides a single link DVI pass-through and if so he would then realize a dual link DVI cable can't help to get 2560x1440 resolution.

But maybe poor spec lead to more sales :emotion-42:

September 16th, 2013 23:00

Hi skylarking,

Sorry for the late reply as I was out of the office.

As I mentioned earlier, you may try and go ahead to plug in a dual link dvi cable on the docking station and check for maximum resolution. As we have not tested the docking stations with all the laptops so the results may vary. However, if you want the maximum resolution then I would suggest to get the output from the display port on the laptop itself.

Apologies for any miscommunication. 

6 Posts

September 17th, 2013 14:00

HI Jyotpal,

Well ... I got a cable that is DisplayPort to DVI-D unfortunately, it didn't allow me to drive the monitor to it's maximum resolution.  It was still stuck at 1680x1050.  I tried both the DisplayPort on the laptop and the docking station; both ways ... Windows didn't allow me to display beyond the "recommended" resolution.

You may be asking why I am not using the DisplayPort to DisplayPort ... well ... I have my MacBook Pro connected.  The Dell Laptop is my company assigned laptop.

Any other suggestion(s)?

September 17th, 2013 22:00

Hi Ted4Wong,

So if I am not wrong, you have connected the monitor to both your laptop and the Macbook Pro, right? For Macbook Pro you are using the Display Port cable and for your Latitude laptop you are using the Display Port to DVI-D connector cable right?

If that is the case, then I would request you to unplug the Display Port cable from your macbook and plug it to your latitude laptop. See if you get the maximum resolution on the monitor. If you do, then I believe the converter cable may not be capable enough to give you the maximum resolution.

Please reply with your findings.

6 Posts

September 25th, 2013 19:00

Here are my findings ... Defect monitor on the DVI-D port?

• DisplayPort to DisplayPort from the Dell docking station port ...  2560x1440.
  • DisplayPort to DVI-D from the Dell docking station port... 1680x1050.
  • Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort from MacBook Pro ... 2560x1440.
  • Mini-DisplayPort to DVI-D from MacBook Pro ... 1920x1080.

I can understand that the VGA port can't support the higher resolution as it is analog but this is ridiculous; especially when DVI-D support the higher resolution!  I've looked over the Dell manual and there doesn't appear to be any explicitly indication that the DVI-D port doesn't support the higher resolution.  Wasting my time!

The worst part here is ... Mini-DisplayPort to DVI-D from the MacBook Pro beat out the Dell setup!  At minimum, the Dell setup should match the MacBook Pro at 1920 x 1080 ... not the lower resolution of 1680x1050!!!!!  

One of the other forum entry mentions a factory reset; this didn't help.  Junk!

September 26th, 2013 04:00

Hi Ted4Wong,

Regret the inconvenience you are going through. Please allow me sometime as I have to get this reviewed and have to research on this issue. I'll get back to you once I have a solution to this as soon as possible. 

Appreciate your co-operation

6 Posts

September 28th, 2013 15:00

Thanks guys for getting back to me.  If it was an inexpensive solution, I would go for it.  Since work provides the equipment, I'm not about to spend $179 of my own money to get the DVI-D ports.  Just going to leave on it VGA; I'd rather leave the display port  connector for my MacBook Pro!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

September 28th, 2013 15:00

Ted4Wong,

Dell only sells two E-Port Replicators that have DVI-D Dual Link. All other Dell docks have DVI-D Single Link. DVI-D Single Link will not do the higher resolutions.

Dell E-Port Plus Advanced Port Replicator with USB 3.0

Dell E-Port Replicator with USB 3.0

No Events found!