Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 25th, 2015 21:00

U2715H E6530 ePort Plus Docking Station DisplayPort 1.2 Daisy Chain Multi-Monitor Individual Recognition Windows 8.1

I have two U2715h monitors that I would like to daisy chain from a display port off the e-port plus docking station that I have an E6530 Latitude docked on.

Docking Station => DP=mDP => U2715h(a) => DP=mDP => U2715h(b)

I've ensured that the the DP cable coming out of (a) is the "out" port.  This setup works but the computer only sees the two monitors as a single monitor and their display is duplicated.  The laptop does not see the (b) as a connected monitor, just (a).

Troubleshooting:

All cables have been unplugged from the docking station and only has power, the single DP cable coming out.  I have tried connecting the USB cables to the monitors.

I've tried every combination of (a) and (b) having DP1.2 enabled/disabled (4 combinations).  From what I've read in some forums, (a) should have DP1.2 enabled and (b) disabled, which is what I have currently configured.

My question is, how can I get both monitors to be recognized individually and extend my display on to both monitors?  My goal is a 3 monitor setup with the laptop closed and the 3rd monitor plugged into the 2nd DVI/DP port on the docking station.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

March 26th, 2015 15:00

It sounds like you are doing everything correctly with the monitors including setting them up for DP MST.  Checking the E 6530 though seeing that the system itself doesn’t have a display port, and ships with the Nvidia NVS 5200m my feeling is that the graphics chip isn’t DP 1.2 compatible.   Even if the video chip is DP 1.2 compatible I can’t find any information that the display port connection on the docking station is DP 1.2 compatible as well.

I will research this further and see if I can get verification in the meantime if possible try the monitor combination on another system with a verified DP 1.2 compatible video card and see if you continue to have the same problem.

TB

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

March 26th, 2015 16:00

" Plus, the Display Port 1.2 adds the ability to daisy chain displays (4 displays via 1 connector). "

So at least according to Dell.com the E Port Plus does support Display Port 1.2.  I am pretty sure I was looking at that page earlier and missed that.

I have also checked and the Nvidia does say that the Desktop version of the NVS 5200 supports DP 1.2.  I hope to have news tomorrow to verify one way or the other if the Notebook will be able to support this.  

I suggest waiting before disabling Optimus until I can verify that it will actually help.

TB

I read that Nvidia mentioned multimode and was wondering if that was the same thing as DP 1.2 as well.  I will post here as soon as I find out anything definite.

9 Posts

Hi Terry,

Thanks for all the feedback.

The e-Port Plus does say it supports DP 1.2 http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&sku=331-6304 but that doesn't mean the laptop can.

I have not tried messing with any settings in the e6530 BIOS yet.  I do have the latest drivers from NVIDIA installed, though.

Edit: Just found this: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/549145/linux/driver-319-32-nvs-5200m-dell-u2713d-dp-1-2-daisy-chain-mst-in-debian/post/3982253/#3982253 

Although they're talking about Linux, someone posted that NVIDIA NVS 5200M does not support DP 1.2 MST.  So looks like I won't be able to Daisy Chain with the E6530 =(

Edit 2: Nvidia tech specs says it supports Multimode? Not sure what that is or if that helps in this scenario: http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvs_techspecs.html 

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

I have been doing a little further researching, and I still don't have verification that the E 6530 will be able daisy chain two U2715h displays but I would like to ask if you have tried disabling Optimus on the system?  You can do so via the BIOS, look for video under the Advanced tab and uncheck the Optimus box. This will make sure that the only GPU running is the Nvidia GPU and not Intel HD.

You may be able to wait until I can verify if even the Nvidia GPU will compatible but I wanted to ask if you have already tried.

TB

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

April 2nd, 2015 11:00

Unfortunately I was not able to find any information that the NVS 5200m chip on the 6530 doesn't supports DP 1.2.  With the resolutions that the two U2715h monitors are capable of I am not sure that system performance would have been great even if the video chip did support 1.2.  I am sorry that I don't have better news for you.

TB

No Events found!