Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 30th, 2013 04:00

'UEFI Firmware Settings' tile is not showing.

I have Dell Inspiron 14r 5420 ( which came with windows 8 ). My laptop supports UEFI. But when i access the 'Advanced startup' and click 'Troubleshoot' and click 'Advance option', the ' UEFI Firmware Settings' tile is not shown on the screen. How do i get that tile back to show on the screen.

953 Posts

July 1st, 2013 08:00

Hi Survesuwaran,

As this tile is not available, this indicates your computer has ‘Normal BIOS’ and not ‘UEFI’. The latest BIOS for “Inspiron 5420” is here. You can see in the description this is not ‘UEFI’.

Hope this helps.

31 Posts

July 3rd, 2013 05:00

Actually mine is a UEFI PC. Currently, my computer is running in secure boot. My friend also has the same Inspiron 14r 5420. But his one, has UEFI Firmware settings tile in the advance startup. Mine must have some corruption.....How must I get it back

953 Posts

July 3rd, 2013 09:00

Hi Survesuwaran,

Was Operating System re-installation done on either of the computers (your and your friend’s computer)?

31 Posts

July 4th, 2013 05:00

Yes. I have re-install the windows 8 on my laptop. But i downloaded UEFI from this link when i reinstall windows 8 : forum.notebookreview.com/.../582523-uefi-setup-guide.html

953 Posts

July 4th, 2013 10:00

Hi Survesuwaran,

Did you use “Reset”, “Refresh” or “Dell Backup and Recovery” for Operating System Re-installation or it was done using a Windows 8 disc/USB?

31 Posts

July 5th, 2013 02:00

Yes, I went to advance startup to perform the Dell Backup and Recovery for the factory backup but still the 'UEFI Firmware Settings' did not appear on the advance options in the advance startup.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 5th, 2013 12:00

Class 3 UEFI bios does not have any CSM and therefore there are no settings.

Class 3 UEFI bios is 64 bit windows 8 secure boot only forever.  No legacy, No CSM, No windows 7.

Its Microsoft Bios Jail and probably a violation of DMCA to break this "security" feature.  If you have a Class 2.3.1 bios then there would be some "settings" as far as Legacy and CSM but MBR/DOS/Syslinux is long gone.

Compatibility Support Module

The CSM provides additional functionality to UEFI. This additional functionality permits the loading of a traditional OS or the use of a traditional OpROM. This new functionality requires the following:

• New 32-bit code that operates in the EFI environment (EfiCompatibility)
  • A stripped-down traditional 16-bit real-mode BIOS (Compatibility16)
  • Code to transition between the 32-bit and 16-bit code (thunk and reverse thunk)
  • Optionally code in SMM (CompatibilitySmm) to perform traditional functions not taken over by UEFI SMM.

31 Posts

July 8th, 2013 03:00

What do you mean? My friend has the same laptop as me ( Inspiron 14r 5420 ). But he has 'UEFI Firmware Settings' tile in Advance startup. But I don't have it in mine after the windows 8 re-installation with UEFI setup. I do not have CSM in my BIOS. I have Legacy, UEFI and secure boot options in my BIOS.

31 Posts

July 8th, 2013 03:00

What do you mean? My friend has the same laptop as me ( Inspiron 14r 5420 ). But he has 'UEFI Firmware Settings' tile in Advance startup. But I don't have it in mine after the windows 8 re-installation with UEFI setup. I do not have CSM option in my BIOS. I have Legacy, UEFI and secure boot options in my BIOS.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 8th, 2013 10:00

My guess would be that you do not have the same UEFI Version.  Drivers: UEFI drivers differ from UEFI applications in that the driver stays resident in memory unless an error is returned from the driver's entry point. The UEFI core firmware, the boot manager, or other UEFI applications may load drivers. The PCI spec refers to code on an external card or add-in device as an “Option ROM” or “oprom”, and therefore a UEFI driver may also be referred to as a “UEFI Option ROM” or “UEFI oprom” by some in the industry. UEFI drivers, like UEFI applications, can be found inside the system’s firmware, or on storage media, such as a SSD/HDD, PCI card internal memory, or USB Key.

LEGACY = CSM

31 Posts

July 9th, 2013 05:00

OK. Thank You for this information.

No Events found!